How to replace air filter in the CX5

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring
After getting my oil changed last week, I was notified that it was time to get a new air filter. The company was going to charge $25 but since I can buy cheaper, I figure I would just try to see if I can do it my self. First off, where is the best place to buy an air filter for the CX5? Secondly, how easy of a process is there and where is the air filter?

$25 is a good deal

After getting my oil changed last week, I was notified that it was time to get a new air filter. The company was going to charge $25 but since I can buy cheaper, I figure I would just try to see if I can do it my self. First off, where is the best place to buy an air filter for the CX5? Secondly, how easy of a process is there and where is the air filter?

You cannot beat the oem filter and at $25 it is a great deal!. The air filter is located in front engine compartment drivers side! If you do not know where it is...do not try it yourself...just sayin...

You cannot beat the oem filter and at $25 it is a great deal!. The air filter is located in front engine compartment drivers side! If you do not know where it is...do not try it yourself...just sayin...

I think he is saying cabinet air filter, which cost you about $11 and very easy to install. Pull out your glove box and release the latch and push inward then pull out your glove box then you should see your air filter. BTW, engine air filter is so easy to do also, just open your hood and see the big box beside air intake, pop the clip open.

@hek8560 where do you suggest I buy one? Are most air filters the same or does each model car have it's own unique?

@Paris1, I am talking about the Engine air filter.

@Ricsta, thanks for the tutorials. Did you just purchase at the mazda dealership?

@Ricsta, thanks for the tutorials. Did you just purchase at the mazda dealership?
You have a 2016 and it seems too early to change the air filter! How many miles do you have?

I'm always in favor of OEM parts and Mazda moly oil. You can get those OEM maintenance parts from our sponsor - Med Center Mazda with good price. See advertisement banner at the top of each page.

I went to the dealer for an oil change and they told me I needed both filters. I'm always skeptical when the dealer tells me I need more than what I went there for so I skeptically asked how much. He said $140 plus... That's when I cut him off before he could finish and bought the two filters from their parts department. Took me about five minutes to change both.

@ yrwei52 I have 10k miles on it and drove through the desert. tons of dust!! They took it out and showed it to me. it's very dirty. @Kedis I was looking for the air filter in my hood. Where do I find it?

@ yrwei52 I have 10k miles on it and drove through the desert. tons of dust!! They took it out and showed it to me. it's very dirty. @Kedis I was looking for the air filter in my hood. Where do I find it?
See the first video provided by Ricsta in post #6. If you can't follow the video, I suggest you to get a friend knowing how to show you, or find a shop and let them do it for you.

I still think doing both filters' change at 10K miles is an extreme even in the severe condition. There's Schedule II maintenance schedule only for severe conditions like yours. Check your owner's manual and find out the proper maintenance intervals. But it won't hurt even if you change both filters too early, just waste your money!

I still think doing both filters' change at 10K miles is an extreme even in the severe condition. There's Schedule II maintenance schedule only for severe conditions like yours. Check your owner's manual and find out the proper maintenance intervals. But it won't hurt even if you change both filters too early, just waste your money!

Sometimes it takes one trip through a desert dust storm to foul up both filters. Had a spoon full of sand in each filter during one trip through the Dunes near Yuma, AZ. Also, those living near Volcanoes with recent eruptions they need to change filters more often as well. These two are the most severe conditions I can think off.

Otherwise yeah 10k may be too soon. Its really easy to visually inspect/replace both filters without waiting for a dealership visit.

Sometimes it takes one trip through a desert dust storm to foul up both filters. Had a spoon full of sand in each filter during one trip through the Dunes near Yuma, AZ. Also, those living near Volcanoes with recent eruptions they need to change filters more often as well. These two are the most severe conditions I can think off.
Otherwise yeah 10k may be too soon. Its really easy to visually inspect/replace both filters without waiting for a dealership visit.
I agree. If OP drove through a desert storm or something, he should change both filters, AND engine oil plus all other lubricants. But I was skeptical about his dealer's practice. His dealer asked for only $25 for engine air filter change, but made no mention to replace cabin air filter which is odd. A friend had an experience that dealer showed him a dirty air filter and told him needing a new one. He didn't buy it and asked me to verify it. The filter was pretty clean and good for at least another 10K miles! We suspected his dealer kept some dirty filters and showed them to his customers as the evidence of needing replacement.

I agree. If OP drove through a desert storm or something, he should change both filters, AND engine oil plus all other lubricants. But I was skeptical about his dealer's practice. His dealer asked for only $25 for engine air filter change, but made no mention to replace cabin air filter which is odd. A friend had an experience that dealer showed him a dirty air filter and told him needing a new one. He didn't buy it and asked me to verify it. The filter was pretty clean and good for at least another 10K miles! We suspected his dealer kept some dirty filters and showed them to his customers as the evidence of needing replacement.

That $25 dollar price is fishy considering some dealerships charge more than that for just the filter itself. The cabin filter change price at dealership is like $70 or more. I buy those things 3-4 at a time for maybe $10 each on ebay or amazon. Funny thing is aftermarket cabin filters seem to have better quality paper element/sturdier plastic frame/ink printing/foam seals than OEM ones. The OEM ones have a better paper box container with Mazda logo though lol. The fact is Mazda doesn't make their own cabin filters. They outsource it.

Back