How to have keypad touch tones work during bluetooth call on android?

:
'20 CX-5 Signature
I keep having an issue where I'll be parked on a call with one of those automated menus that requires you to touch a number to advance an automated menu. The call is happening via the car through the car's speakers. When my phone is connected via bluetooth it appears that the tones aren't sent when pressing the keypad. The keypad is indeed registering the touches as I see the numbers show up on the phone but whatever I'm calling doesn't register the call. The same thing happens if I have my phone plugged in and using android auto.

If I disable bluetooth and make the call normal (where the car isn't involved) it works like you'd expect and any automated systems on the end of the line register any keypresses.

Is this an issue with Android or a setting in the Mazda infotainment or maybe something with my particular model phone? It's Android 11 if that matters.

Alright I figured it out (sorta)

I had to go into this menu: Phone app -> Sound -> Advanced -> Dial Pad Tones

I previously had turned that off because I didn't want to hear the tones when dialing normally. This never was a problem before during a call when the phone isn't transmitting the call via bluetooth as the tones are still sent when dialing the keypad and I'm able to use automated menus at call centers or help desks. In addition to that I was able to make a call with those tones turned off, it was once the call was seemingly started that the tones were no longer sent. For some reason (I'm guessing a bug but maybe there's a technical reason?) over bluetooth the tone isn't sent after the call starts unless that setting is on.

Upvote 0
Well this just happened again so it's obviously not the dial tones setting. This time I could hear the actual tones as I pressed them to try to navigate the menu. I was stopped and in park when typing although the car was running. Something I noticed was once the call was taking place and I pressed the digit to navigate the menu it appeared to cause my phone to make a second call (at the same time or on call waiting?) as I have two calls in my history, one with the normal number and the 2nd with that number with like 6 2s after it as I pressed it in vain. When I hung up the second call there was some tmobile automated voice saying something that the number could not be completed as dialed. So my guess is the digits pressed were going to the second call, even though I was listening to the first call. Not sure how that is even possible.

My phone was plugged in via android auto but I also have the auto bluetooth connection enabled for the phone so I wonder if it has something to do with that? There's so many variables here it's hard to try and start to troubleshoot. Is this an android auto bug, is this a bug with the dialer app in android, is this an issue specifically with Mazda (this is my only car so I can't test in other cars)

I think before when I tested after changing the tone settings it was just coincidence that no 2nd call was made and that's why the dial tones worked as intended.

This is really annoying because it requires me to unplug my phone from the car, disable bluetooth (so the phone doesn't connect to the car) and then make the call manually. In this new age of contactless curbside food pickup I find myself having this issue more and more.

Upvote 0
Back