Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

I can report that it works on the 2020 Mazda6 as well. Thanks to rockethead above for the press twice part. That was the missing bit for me as well.

Hi guys. Happy owner of a new 2020 GT here. Can anyone confirm that they were able to perform this magic trick? I tried and tried again till i was blue in the face. Could probably do all the steps in my sleep but still no dice here. Thanks in advance.

Well since it works on a 2020 Mazda 6.. no reason it shouldn't work on a 2020 Mazda CX-5

are you SURE you are doing the process correctly?

see this hint:

and the improved PDF here:

I have tried a couple of dozen times on my 2019 CX-5, no dice. I think they may have changed something in the PCM update for the lifter recall. I was able to deactivate my 2018 CX-5, but after the update, I could not turn them back on.

Hi guys. Happy owner of a new 2020 GT here. Can anyone confirm that they were able to perform this magic trick? I tried and tried again till i was blue in the face. Could probably do all the steps in my sleep but still no dice here. Thanks in advance.
What finally got me over the finish line was catching a line in one of the various instruction sheets: to wait 5 seconds after performing procedure before starting motor (the other thing I tended to do was lift my foot off the brake too soon). Hope this helps! https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...rking-lights-on.123870546/page-4#post-6676160

I have tried a couple of dozen times on my 2019 CX-5, no dice. I think they may have changed something in the PCM update for the lifter recall. I was able to deactivate my 2018 CX-5, but after the update, I could not turn them back on.

I finally got my new 2019 DRL disabled. I talked to the Service Manager who looked it up and said the instructions were exactly the same for the 2019 and 2020 as the 2017. I did not follow the FSM instructions, but the other instructions in post #165. The difference is the last couple of steps, turning off the vehicle instead of starting it. Also, waiting at least 5 sec after final step before releasing the brake pedal. I think it has to have time for the PCM to register the new settings. Just a guess, but it worked. Yippee!

What finally got me over the finish line was catching a line in one of the various instruction sheets: to wait 5 seconds after performing procedure before starting motor (the other thing I tended to do was lift my foot off the brake too soon). Hope this helps! https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...rking-lights-on.123870546/page-4#post-6676160
Tried again until I was blue in the face. Still no dice. At this point I'd like to confirm 2 things. 1-The end result is to only have the DRL's running without the actual headlights when we shift to parking lights correct? If so Ifso 2-Can anyone confirm they were able to achieve that on the 2020 CX-5? Thanks again.

Maybe it's just too easy, 😂 but I turn the DRL off under vehicle in on the HMI comand screen, it probably takes about 4 seconds.

I finally was able to get the desired effect by removing the DRL fuse from the fuse box. I don't know why no one just said that in the first place😂😂😂

Maybe it's just too easy, 😂 but I turn the DRL off under vehicle in on the HMI comand screen, it probably takes about 4 seconds.

I (we?) don't have that option in the US

I finally was able to get the desired effect by removing the DRL fuse from the fuse box. I don't know why no one just said that in the first place😂😂😂

That certainly works, but please check that your other lighting (like auto-headlamps and parking lights) all work the same was as they used to before. I recall trying that same thing, but found it disabled other functionality (though I cannot remember what exactly, now).

I (we?) don't have that option in the US

That certainly works, but please check that your other lighting (like auto-headlamps and parking lights) all work the same was as they used to before. I recall trying that same thing, but found it disabled other functionality (though I cannot remember what exactly, now).

Thanks for calling that out. I'll make sure to check it further. 👍So far I noticed that so long as I have my parking lights on I get the halo effect.

So you have to manually turn on your parking lights every time you drive? That seems like a pain in the butt. Kind of negates the benefits of automatic headlights...

Can confirm this works on a 2021 CX-5 GTR. Took a few tries because you have to follow the instructions carefully and exactly as in post #165. Now I got halos only for DRLs. Well, I have the stalk set to parking lights/marker lights, but when I drive away they stay like this until I manually turn the lights fully on. My CX-5 was purchased in US in case that makes a difference.

Screenshot 2020-12-04 203451.png

Last edited:
I’m late to this party but I have a couple questions that even after reading 10 pages, I can’t clearly understand.

I have a 2020 CX-5 GTR. The headlights in this model turn on no matter what. Even when the lights are set to OFF, they turn on when you start driving which is ridiculous.

What I would like to do is to have the halo that surrounds the headlight to be on during the day, without the headlight eye (or projector headlight) in the middle turned on. Then when night come for the headlight to turn on. Like a normal frogging car should be. Is this possible?

Can confirm this works on a 2021 CX-5 GTR. Took a few tries because you have to follow the instructions carefully and exactly as in post #165. Now I got halos only for DRLs. Well, I have the stalk set to parking lights/marker lights, but when I drive away they stay like this until I manually turn the lights fully on. My CX-5 was purchased in US in case that makes a difference.

View attachment 233501
So you followed instructions on post 165 and you can drive your car around with the halos looking like your picture? Because that’s exactly what I would like to do as well. Drive around with those halos as my DRLs and then TGIF the headlight to turn on at night (if you have it in auto). Do you have everything stock?

Last edited:
So you followed instructions on post 165 and you can drive your car around with the halos looking like your picture? Because that’s exactly what I would like to do as well. Drive around with those halos as my DRLs and then TGIF the headlight to turn on at night (if you have it in auto). Do you have everything stock?
Yes this is 100% correct. CAREFULLY follow the instructions on post 165 you don't need to rush until you get to the stalk flicking and button mashing. You'll need move quickly through that section. I'd even recommend you practice it a few times. Yes, I have everything else stock. I don't use the auto function. I think you also have to keep your lights in the parking light position because the halos would otherwise be off. I keep my lights in the parking light position and turn on the headlights when it's prudent. Having the parking lights on also means your tail lights and marker lights will also be on but I'm okay with that since I like the look of the tail lights. I don't know how this affects the auto function. I'm in MI and I have an issue with auto head lights during daytime heavy snow events. We can have blizzard conditions here and people are driving around without their headlights on because it's bright enough to not trigger the auto headlights even though visibility is total s***. So, I've never used that functionality for this reason.

Yes this is 100% correct. CAREFULLY follow the instructions on post 165 you don't need to rush until you get to the stalk flicking and button mashing. You'll need move quickly through that section. I'd even recommend you practice it a few times. Yes, I have everything else stock. I don't use the auto function. I think you also have to keep your lights in the parking light position because the halos would otherwise be off. I keep my lights in the parking light position and turn on the headlights when it's prudent. Having the parking lights on also means your tail lights and marker lights will also be on but I'm okay with that since I like the look of the tail lights. I don't know how this affects the auto function. I'm in MI and I have an issue with auto head lights during daytime heavy snow events. We can have blizzard conditions here and people are driving around without their headlights on because it's bright enough to not trigger the auto headlights even though visibility is total s***. So, I've never used that functionality for this reason.
Thank you for the feedback. Makes me think of I really want to do this.

Last edited:
See, I live in Colorado, and I do like the auto headlight function, but then I’m smart enough to turn the headlights on manually during daytime snow events. Being in my 6th decade of life, I’m now old enough to complain that all the auto lights, brakes, following, lane holding, brain numbing garbage is turning most drivers into zombies. As a motorcycle rider, it’s of grave concern To have so many people paying no attention to what’s going on around them. But it’s nice being in the curmudgeon age group so I can make these comments now. 😂

Back