How to convert from cartridge to canister filter Mazda5

Don't they have the spin on filter from the factory? Or just the 2.0?
IIRC, Mz3 also had the cartridge to canister fiasco at some point. Primary difference was the Mz3 did not run through an exteranl cooler while the MS3 and Mz5 does. Big disclaimer on the IIRC. Doesn't hurt to put it up for sale.

My order total was $57.56, which included shipping ($10.95) and FL sales tax ($3.05). The local dealer wanted $67 for just the mount. Ordered mine from www.LakelandFordParts.com .
Did you by chance to take a pic of the conversion base up close?? I wonder if it might be slightly different than the Mazda one to allow the mega big filter.

In reference to post 8 above where I had the 3 different AutoExtra fitlers, here are the Ford Motorcraft equivalents. $3.95 each at Wallyword regardless of size. “For the money”, FMC oils and filters are highly rated on BITOG and pretty much everywhere else you find ;)
x69d.jpg

I did not take a picture for comparison but I'll try to remember to the next oil change though it will be a while. I do agree about the FMC products. The FL100S filter is within less than 1/2 an inch of the underpan, so I'm sure the mega one won't fit.

I ordered the conversion kit. I hate the cartridge filter setup. Thanks to the silentnoise for the very informative thread.

Welcome. Secondtyme covered the cooler question.

In case you want to be adventurous and try the mega filter (knowing that it "may" hang low) or just want the have an expanded/wider mounting base, here's bugger that needs grinding out. IMO, it should have came this way.

Last edited:
I got my conversion kit and I installed it today. It went smooth and I'm definitely happy to get rid of that cartridge filter.
20131028_132405_zps9320c16e.jpg

20131028_145517_zps638fdb1c.jpg

20131028_145526_zpsc612c5b7.jpg

Goodbye and good riddens

20131028_145440_zps68fa543d.jpg

I have a question on this.

I have the old black oil cooler with straight fittings (we bought one of the first 2009 models off the ship). There was a design change mid year that uses an upgraded silver oil cooler which also has it's own specific seal. I think they had some leak issues, hence the change of design.

If I do this mod, will the adapter fit to the black oil cooler? Or would I have to upgrade to a silver oil cooler + seal combination?

Logically reasoning: The canister plate is no different then the cartridge plate b/c the black oil cooler fits both. I believe past <10 owners have installed the +12> silver oil cooler so I would logically conclude you can do the same with the canister plate b/c the top mount is not different. Look up the two part numbers and google image it to death to make a conclusion.

leaky oil cooler gasket = me ordering all these parts to convert now. thanks for the writeup and parts numbers.

After more research I found out that the oil filter adapter for Ford 2.3L Duratec is identical for less than the cost of Mazda.

Adapter: 3S7Z-6881-AA
Gasket: 1S7Z-6840-AA
I know this is a really old post, but has anyone used the ford part? It appears to be quite cheaper. I have the infamous oil filter leak:confused:

thanks

I have an oil leak, hard to tell where it is coming from. It's definitely leaking down the outside of filter, but I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. I have the old black oil cooler, so just changing everything out. I figure I'll just change to canister while I have everything apart. I was able to get the Ford part for ~$25 shipped, so if it fits, I'm out $25. If not, I'll put back the old part. I hope all the parts are in this weekend. Thank for replying to this old thread. I'll update with my findings. I'm using the OEM oil cooler replacement, there are a lot of significantly cheaper replacements online, but only want to have to do this once.

Post 22 would lead you to believe the parts are identical/interchangeable. I firmly believe they are identical.

What is this 'infamous' oil filter leak, you're referring too?? The infamous leak is due to failed gasket that mates the oil cooler housing to the oil filter housing (regardless of canister or cartridge filter).

1st gen gasket, < 2010 MY
2nd gen gasket, > 2012 MY

I've never had issues with the oil filter conversion. Yes, the Ford parts are what I used.

thanks Flcrusing for the confirmation. I can also confirm that the Adapter: 3S7Z-6881-AA replaces the Mazda5 cartridge housing. I was able to replace the old original cartridge with a new spin-on housing and stop my leak. I thought the pressure sensor was leaking, so I replaced it with a new one.

Has anyone replaced the old black cooler with the new silver one and mated that with the Ford spin-on adapter? I have both but when I put them together I'm not entirely sure it will work. One of the little tabs on the cooler doesn't fall into the space on the side of the adapter. I'm also not sure about the two holes inside the cooler and inside the adapter....are they supposed to line up? The adapter is 3S7Z-6881-AA and cooler is LF6W-14-700A. I have a 2006 Mazda 5.

Attachments

• cooler1.jpg
    cooler1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 88
  • cooler2.jpg
    cooler2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 90
  • cooler3.jpg
    cooler3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 97
  • cooler4.jpg
    cooler4.jpg