How to convert from cartridge to canister filter Mazda5

Has anyone replaced the old black cooler with the new silver one and mated that with the Ford spin-on adapter? I have both but when I put them together I'm not entirely sure it will work. One of the little tabs on the cooler doesn't fall into the space on the side of the adapter. I'm also not sure about the two holes inside the cooler and inside the adapter....are they supposed to line up? The adapter is 3S7Z-6881-AA and cooler is LF6W-14-700A. I have a 2006 Mazda 5.
Look at the post right above yours #39. I used those parts for my Mazda5 2006. They work. I can't remember how the tabs line up but I believe they will. I don't believe in your pictures the parts are lined up correctly. Look at the current installation on the car, they should be in same alignment. Good luck.

Look at the post right above yours #39. I used those parts for my Mazda5 2006. They work. I can't remember how the tabs line up but I believe they will. I don't believe in your pictures the parts are lined up correctly. Look at the current installation on the car, they should be in same alignment. Good luck.
I'm not sure if it even matters about the tabs. There are no tabs on the black cooler (at least not in the front). I can see that from the post above with all the photos. The coolant lines are on right side of the cooler and adapter which is how I positioned mine in my photos. And the front tab hangs out in the middle of no where. Maybe that's no big deal though. I will look at my mazda again to verify. It stands to reason, if the silver cooler is the exact replacement for the black, that it would work in this application. Just as you mentioned in your reply. Thanks for answering. I meant to ask- did you use anything on the metal gasket? I don't think it's imperative but some mentioned gasket sealers and other products.

I'm not sure if it even matters about the tabs. There are no tabs on the black cooler (at least not in the front). I can see that from the post above with all the photos. The coolant lines are on right side of the cooler and adapter which is how I positioned mine in my photos. And the front tab hangs out in the middle of no where. Maybe that's no big deal though. I will look at my mazda again to verify. It stands to reason, if the silver cooler is the exact replacement for the black, that it would work in this application. Just as you mentioned in your reply. Thanks for answering. I meant to ask- did you use anything on the metal gasket? I don't think it's imperative but some mentioned gasket sealers and other products.
I just used the gasket that came with the cooler. It's a 2-color, looks like rubber and plastic gasket. You don't need a gasket sealer. The reason the other posts talked about gasket makers and sealers is that originally, you could not buy the gasket for the black cooler. People had to buy the silver cooler just to replace the leaking gasket, which is a different size. Or they tried to seal it up, which apparently didn't work. There is also a gasket for the filter holder, but I didn't use any sealer products. Good luck.

Back