How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

Sadly a US car dealership is last place to get factual and accurate information, usually they are a source of misinformation.

Severe whiplash injuries are best avoided, because the pain can last for years after the accident. I'm not finding any visibility problems from headrests.

The Volvo rear headrest is the best solution for those that want to flip them down when seat is vacant. They fold down and forward so that nobody sits in that spot when down.

In the US, there appears to be some interesting rules about REAR headrests. They aren't required to exist at all, but if they DO exist, then they need to be at least 3 inches in height (750mm to be exact.) Source: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/HeadRest/update/202FinalRule.html

Edit: In relation to rear headrests, the linked rules contain "requirements for head restraints voluntarily installed in rear outboard designated seating positions." To me, that means there are no rules for non-outboard (middle seat) headrests.

Last edited:
Pics of headrests

I got these last week but didn't has time to post. What do you think? HeadRest01sz.jpgHeadRest04sz.jpg

Thanks for all the information folks. In summary when ordering these headrests, are there three part numbers for the three headrests or is there one number for ordering all three? Thanks!

Thanks for all the information folks. In summary when ordering these headrests, are there three part numbers for the three headrests or is there one number for ordering all three? Thanks!

You only need 2 outside rear headrests (middle 1 remains) & they are identical. What model & interior color is your CX-5?

Last edited:
i was browsing these forums for pictures of different accessories (without reading the posts) before i had my car delivered. quite pleased to see i had the slimline headrests with my car :D

I found a supplier for these in the UK. Bourne Road Garage Mazda.

http://shop.crayford-mazda.co.uk/category/Mazda_CX_5,b.html

You can simply email off the site or call. You want to ask for Andrew Fisher. He is great. The headsets take about 4 weeks to arrive in the UK from Japan (they are not in stock in the UK) and then about 4-7 days more via UPS to the good ole USA.

I ordered two sets, one for me and one for a friend, and the total shipped to my home was about $405. Not bad at all - $202.50 for a set. Obviously if you purchase one set the cost will be a bit higher as you have to pay the full shipping fee alone.

The headrests sell for 54.29 GBP each (108.58 GBP for two) plus shipping (I'm assuming prices can always change so do inquire). In my case the shipping was 39.50 GBP. Part numer- KD5188240A02 (black leather GT).

My CX-5 is Black leather but they can get them in any color that the CX-5 is offered in the UK (cloth or leather). Just look at the options on the UK Mazda site. I remember the 'white' leather was an option.

I wanted to wait and see how things went before I posted. They just arrived today and fit perfectly.

Be sure to tell him Michael H from the USA referred you when you contact him so he will know exactly what is going on.

2ljm0wm.jpg

osy1ko.jpg

PM if you want his direct contact info.

M

And now the legal disclaimer:
This posting is for entertainment purposes only and one should never alter the safety devices on their Mazda. If you choose do do what I did I will not be held responsible for any injury.

Last edited:
Would like to get the non-US Spec rear head restraints for my US-Spec CX-5 and don't know how to get them. Any ideas?

And now for the Canadian experience. I went the Australia route, contacting John Newell Mazda for the purchase and shipment of a pair of sand leather rear restraints. I placed the order in late November. It took until March 20 for them to arrive in Australia from Japan, but I was out of country and did not confirm shipping arrangements until March 25. They were shipped April 08 and arrived here April 17.

The cost? MasterCard billed 337.19 which is the converted to Canadian dollars plus exchange fee of the vendor bill for the materials and shipping. Added to that and due on delivery was (all Canadian dollars) 9.95$ handling fee, 19.71$ duty, and sales taxes of 45.26$ for a total cost of ownership of 412.11$.

I think the above clearly supports the concept that a fool and his money are always welcome.

Brian

Gauging Interest: Should I still set up a group buy?

I talked to my friend in Japan & he's willing to help again... so please be serious.

If I can get 10 people, I can get them for $200 per set (2 rear headrests) + $20 shipping to USA via USPS Flat Rate or $50 shipping to Canada via UPS Ground.

I know some of you are interested... (wink)

Feel free to PM me w/ questions.

Do they have the stone cloth?

I'm going to find out... & you got to be more specific: Touring or Sport?

I believe the actual name is called "Sand", right? Can someone confirm that Canada & USA have the same "Sand" color?

Last edited:
Back