How much boost can the stock pistons handle?

I know that the msp can handle up to around 10 psi on stock internals and I assume that the rods are the first to go, correct me if i’m wrong. Does anyone know how strong the pistons are because I have k1 rods but I don’t want to buy pistons if I don’t have to, thanks.

@bwalt @323 Any idea roughly how much the stock engine can hold? Let’s say full bolts ons, single runner intake manifold and fuel system (upgraded injectors and pump). Stock garret turbo with Turbosmart wastegate. At what number do you think it will pop. Is 200 WHP even possible?

Upvote 0
@bwalt @323 Any idea roughly how much the stock engine can hold? Let’s say full bolts ons, single runner intake manifold and fuel system (upgraded injectors and pump). Stock garret turbo with Turbosmart wastegate. At what number do you think it will pop. Is 200 WHP even possible?

Can't really say. Depends on car to car, maintenance, driving style, tune, etc.. I'm not one to test the limits of anything really.

Upvote 0
It really depends like 323 said.. So many variables with age, use and unknown maintenance history of the engine means you take a chance when increasing power.

That being said, the stock engine in good mechanical condition can handle 200whp, for how long though would not be certain. Have to remember this engine was only built for 130hp at the crank, Mazda just slapped a turbo on the same engine with the MSP and made 170hp. 200whp is already double the stock n/a hp so you're really pushing the limits.

You would need at least injectors, fmic, boost controller, intake, downpipe, exhaust and a tune to hit that safely.

Upvote 1
While I haven’t owned it in almost 15 years now I had a 3.5 MSP with stock internals running 10psi with pretty much every bolt-on upgrade possible including improved intake, hard pipes, FMIC, SAFC, electronic boost controller etc. I did everything except rebuilding the bottom end with forged parts. I had the car dyno tuned and was putting out 203 whp at 8lbs of boost. When turned up to 10 with that tune in it I would put down 211. I also had an aggressive tune running 12.5 lbs of boost that I would put in for the occasional ty with real $ on the line that was good for 222 whp.

I wouldn’t run that engine at anything higher than the 8lbs on stock internals if you plan on driving it daily. I ended up letting the car go because I felt like I reached the limits of what could be done without completely rebuilding the block, adding the LSD and upgrading the turbo.

I actually found my way back to this forum today to start looking for another one to build into a track days car and reignite my passion for the Mazdaspeed brand. As soon as I sold that car I regretted it. The worst part is that the girl I sold it to, drove it into a tree about 2 months later and totaled the car.

Upvote 0
While I haven’t owned it in almost 15 years now I had a 3.5 MSP with stock internals running 10psi with pretty much every bolt-on upgrade possible including improved intake, hard pipes, FMIC, SAFC, electronic boost controller etc. I did everything except rebuilding the bottom end with forged parts. I had the car dyno tuned and was putting out 203 whp at 8lbs of boost. When turned up to 10 with that tune in it I would put down 211. I also had an aggressive tune running 12.5 lbs of boost that I would put in for the occasional ty with real $ on the line that was good for 222 whp.

I wouldn’t run that engine at anything higher than the 8lbs on stock internals if you plan on driving it daily. I ended up letting the car go because I felt like I reached the limits of what could be done without completely rebuilding the block, adding the LSD and upgrading the turbo.

I actually found my way back to this forum today to start looking for another one to build into a track days car and reignite my passion for the Mazdaspeed brand. As soon as I sold that car I regretted it. The worst part is that the girl I sold it to, drove it into a tree about 2 months later and totaled the car.
Get back into it man! They’re gems!

Upvote 0
Back