How many actual miles on a new car?

..... I could have walked away, and went elsewhere, which in hindsight I should have considering the way salesperson attitude shifted once I had signed.

Screw that guy. You got yourself a nice car and GTFOutta there. He gets to go back and spend every day in that lousy dealership.

I prefer a new car with few miles, for the very reason that I don't like the idea of many test drivers giving it the beans when it is cold. Mine had 11 miles, two or three miles were from me test driving it. It is possible that another person test drove mine prior. You did get a great deal, less than what I paid in 2018 for the same trim. Maybe they took the miles/age into account when you got that deal.

I paid the exact same price for the same model 2 years ago. I originally made a deal for one existed on the lot with 29 miles. but when I got there, there was a brand new Sport model still on the truck. The dealership tried to charge me an additional $200 but I said, sell me that one at the agreed price or I'm leaving. :ROFLMAO: You got a great deal on a sweet ride, OP! Enjoy your purchase.

Another update - for anyone still interested. Thanks to the advice of this forum, I called the GM of dealership and explained the situation - he was much more understanding and professional (as one would expect). He said he would ask Mazda USA if they could swap, since the car was marked as sold over weekend and the $500 Labor Day incentive may be affected.

Found out they couldn't (or wouldn't) swap it for another unit (they did have more on lot, confirmed the salesman had lied about that) but they're going to include a cargo cover and maybe some other goodies (not holding my breathe on "other goodies" but cargo cover is appreciated as I had asked if they could throw that in day of sale, and they said no).

I also found out the car arrived from Japan about 6 months ago, they said it was in port at a couple places before arriving at dealership. Still not sure when it arrived at the dealership. So as some have said, they probably wanted to move this and the other units that arrived prior to COVID, explaining why it would have 60+ miles on it from test drives and being moved around to keep battery alive (that's what they said).

I also found out the car arrived from Japan about 6 months ago, they said it was in port at a couple places before arriving at dealership. So as some have said, they probably wanted to move this and the other units that arrived prior to C-19.
A tip for when you purchase your next vehicle, if you are as particular as I am, since I keep my new cars for 11-15 years...
You can search for and find vehicles that have been allocated to a dealership, but haven't arrived on the lot yet. That's what I've done for 3 of my 4 new car purchases.

They know the car arriving from the manufacturing plant (US made) or port (made overseas) around xx date. Insist on that particular vehicle and take delivery right off the transport truck. This ensures you are getting a brand new vehicle that hasn't sat around for months and taken on joyrides.

@Randomguy You signed the paperwork for that VIN . The vehicle is now sold - to you. You are over thinking 61 miles. The miles were test drives.. hopefully nothing like this:

and

I hadn't seen either one of those clips. That's funny as hell! I have tears running down my face from laughing so hard. My wife wanted to know what was so funny, I showed her. She has the same reaction. :ROFLMAO:

What ports unload Mazdas?

I think my first Mazda came thru New Orleans, or somewhere close.

I just got a Mazda CX-5 Sport (around 24K out the door). Price seems good, but noticed it already had 61 miles on it. For some reason this seems high and bothers me. I signed paperwork but haven't paid or driven the car off the lot. Would it be possible to get another model with fewer miles after signing for this car? Or am I overthinking this? Thoughts?
I had around 600ish or so on my 2019 GT-R when I bought it. I don't care. I have 49K miles on it now.

What ports unload Mazdas?

I think my first Mazda came thru New Orleans, or somewhere close.

It's been a while since I checked; but Japan-built Mazdas are offloaded in Los Angeles (used to be San Diego), Florida (Jacksonville iirc), and Boston.
No Mazdas are currently offloaded in New Orleans.

Usually, if the car has never been titled it can still be considered new
In Maryland, if a new car has over 100 miles on the odometer it must be sold as a demo. My wife just bought a Volvo and was not told the car had just over 100 until the paperwork was being signed. Finance guy slid a document across the desk that said we understand this vehicle is being sold as a demo with xxx miles on it. At that point we felt deceived but signed it anyway. From my point of view the question is, what kind of miles are they?

It's been a while since I checked; but Japan-built Mazdas are offloaded in Los Angeles (used to be San Diego), Florida (Jacksonville iirc), and Boston.
No Mazdas are currently offloaded in New Orleans.
Yeah, my 2016 CX-5, assembled in January 2015, was unloaded in Long Beach, LA back in March, 2015. It took about 2 weeks and a few days to ship the car to Dallas, Texas.

Finance guy slid a document across the desk that said we understand this vehicle is being sold as a demo with xxx miles on it. At that point we felt deceived but signed it anyway. From my point of view the question is, what kind of miles are they?
I don't get it at all. You felt deceived but signed it anyway? So you knew about the 'demo' car before finalizing the deal, at the negotiated price? I think if you turned around they would have knocked off another $300 Let them sell a demo car at a new car price to someone else. - just tell them you'lI wait until a new one becomes available or search the internet for a dealer that has one coming in. I know, I know, you just wanted to get the deal done and felt you were already getting a good price.

This is again proves my point in the 'what did you pay thread'. People put in the effort to negotiate a deal, then when they get to the finance department they're to tired to argue - and the dealership talks about this at every morning meeting - they think that you want to buy a cay more than they want to sell one, but the truth is that they NEED to sell a car and you only WANT to buy one. IMO this is even worse than when you get to the finance department and they tell you about all the dealer add-ons that they weren't told about - pre installed VIN etching, paint shield, fabric guard, etc.

This is just my opinion, so please don't get all butt hurt about it. But there's an entire thread about 'what did you pay' with comments about questionable dealer tactics. .... A female friend of mine once asked me "why are men jerks?" I told her - "because there are women who will date them". So, why do dealers pull crap like this?.......

Last edited:
So, why do dealers pull crap like this?.......

Because they can, and we let them.

A few years back, my neighbours daughter asked me to go with her to finalize a deal on a new Mazda 3. It was her first new car purchase.
She was the type of mark that dealerships love. She was ready to sign on the dotted line for every little add-on and crap that they threw at her.
Believe me when I say that I tried and tried to reason with her and to talk some sense into her, but she just kept on believing and saying yes to every pitch, including a very expensive extended warranty.
I couldn't do anything about it.
I'm still wondering why she bothered asking for my help. She wouldn't listen, so I gave up.

That's why dealers pull crap like this, because of buyers like her.

I don't get it at all. You felt deceived but signed it anyway? So you knew about the 'demo' car before finalizing the deal, at the negotiated price? You don't think if you turned around they would have knocked off another $300? Let them sell a demo car at a new car price to someone else. - just tell them you'lI wait until a new one becomes available or search the internet for a dealer that has one coming in. I know, I know, you just wanted to get the deal done and felt you were already getting a good price.

This is again proves my point in the 'what did you pay thread'. People put in the effort to negotiate a deal, then when they get to the finance department they're to tired to argue - and the dealership talks about this at every morning meeting - they think that you want to buy a cay more than they want to sell one, but the truth is that they NEED to sell a car and you only WANT to buy one. IMO this is even worse than when you get to the finance department and they tell you about all the dealer add-ons that they weren't told about - pre installed VIN etching, paint shield, fabric guard, etc.

This is just my opinion, so please don't get all butt hurt about it. But there's an entire thread about 'what did you pay' with comments about questionable dealer tactics. .... A female friend of mine once asked me "why are men jerks?" I told her - "because there are women who will date them". So, why do dealers pull crap like this?.......
Hal2,
No I’m not butt hurt about your comment. I agree with you. The final decision was not mine to make it was my wife making the deal. We had just fended off all the dealer add ons and this demo thing came across. I even offered the Suggestion of walking but.... we were getting 0 % financing and a great price already. The car was on the showroom floor so we decided to go forward with the deal. My point was how Maryland requires the buyer be notified that a new untitled vehicle with over 100 miles be considered a “demo”. We would have felt better if the salesman let us know this before we got to finance. Chances are we would have continued but would have respected the transparency.

Chances are we would have continued but would have respected the transparency.
Isn't that the whole rub with dealerships most of the time? The lack of transparency, honesty etc?
I respect people that are up front and truthful, even if the truth is painful. I'd rather be butt hurt than deceived. And that goes beyond car salesmen.
It's when they go into denial and start lying, just to cover their ass, that I get my dander rattled.
This is why after several experiences at Honda and Acura dealerships, I will never own or drive one of their products. They were the worst of the worse.

I had around 600ish or so on my 2019 GT-R when I bought it. I don't care.
You don't care what a bunch of schmucks might have done with your "new" car in the 600 miles before you bought it?

That seems odd to me, especially since you felt compelled to purchase an extended warranty that cost thousands of dollars.

It seems like purchasing a new vehicle (without the 600 miles of joyrides), would have at least partially mitigated the concerns that made you spend ~$3000 on an extra warranty.

Because they can, and we let them.

A few years back, my neighbours daughter asked me to go with her to finalize a deal on a new Mazda 3. It was her first new car purchase.
She was the type of mark that dealerships love. She was ready to sign on the dotted line for every little add-on and crap that they threw at her.
Believe me when I say that I tried and tried to reason with her and to talk some sense into her, but she just kept on believing and saying yes to every pitch, including a very expensive extended warranty.
I couldn't do anything about it.
I'm still wondering why she bothered asking for my help. She wouldn't listen, so I gave up.

That's why dealers pull crap like this, because of buyers like her.
Because noone listens to the help they ask for. People are stupid like that.

This being said, I got that warranty, too, and it's about to absorb the $750 for a mirror motor replacement, lol! 100K more warrantied miles to go... :)

You don't care what a bunch of schmucks might have done with your "new" car in the 600 miles before you bought it?

That seems odd to me, especially since you felt compelled to purchase an extended warranty that cost thousands of dollars.

It seems like purchasing a new vehicle (without the 600 miles of joyrides), would have at least partially mitigated the concerns that made you spend ~$3000 on an extra warranty.
Not really man. They didn't hurt it. Usually it's a 60+ y/o guy with a make-busy job driving it from Dealer A to dealer B.

Back