How many actual miles on a new car?

I just got a Mazda CX-5 Sport (around 24K out the door). Price seems good, but noticed it already had 61 miles on it. For some reason this seems high and bothers me. I signed paperwork but haven't paid or driven the car off the lot. Would it be possible to get another model with fewer miles after signing for this car? Or am I overthinking this? Thoughts?

Or am I overthinking this? Thoughts?
If I stopped by to show you my "new" car and it had 61 miles on it, would you tell me I shouldn't consider it "new?
If you bought the car at 6 miles and drove it to show your buddy, then got home and it had 61 miles on the clock, would you no longer consider it "new"?

We just bought a 2019 model with 3000 miles on it and, even though we're the second owners, it's as "new" as any model rolling off the lot today.

Don't worry about it.

I just got a Mazda CX-5 Sport (around 24K out the door). Price seems good, but noticed it already had 61 miles on it. For some reason this seems high and bothers me. I signed paperwork but haven't paid or driven the car off the lot. Would it be possible to get another model with fewer miles after signing for this car? Or am I overthinking this? Thoughts?
Test drives, yes. Overthinking, yes.

Personally, buying and paying for a brand new car with 61 miles on it would bother me.
Were they 61 hard miles put on by some cowboy trying it out? You'll never know.
I guess I'm a little anal though.
When I bought my 6, it was not available in the colour and trim level I wanted, so they found one and had it shipped to the dealer.
It had 1 (one) kilometre on the odometer.
Even the sales rep said he'd never seen one that low.
On delivery, it had 3 kms on it. It was driven down the road to a car shop to have the windows tinted.
I was pretty happy at the time.

IMO, this’s a personal preference. I myself would want to get a brand-new vehicle with minimum miles on it. Almost all new vehicles I’d got were less than 10 miles, and special ordered 4 out of 6 new cars so that they’d have less than 5 miles. The other 2 were just arrived vehicles to dealer’s lot, nobody else had touched them. Your 2020 Mazda CX-5 Sport has had 61 miles which most likely was used for test-drives by several people. We all know how people are doing during the test-drive: hard acceleration、sudden stops、over bumpy road or pot holes fast、even high speed drive on the highway. In other words most test-drivers are testing the maximum performance and most of these actions are against good practice for initial break-in period. This’s the major reason why I want to get a brand-new vehicle with minimum miles.

Based on your description your 2020 CX-5 Sport shouldn’t have registered yet. And many States have the law to let car buyers breaking the car-purchasing contract within several days. You can talk to the sales manager expressing your intention and see what kind of options you may be able to get. Be prepared you may not get another CX-5 Sport exactly meet your requirements. Or you may have to go for more expensive CX-5 trims. Everything is negotiable. You just have to look at all possible options given and evaluate them as a whole, and make the best decision for yourself.

We bought a new 2018 soul red, after getting it home decided to change to new silver because of the red paint issues. The new silver had 143 MILES on it. When we brought the red back it had 146. Reason we live in next county.

If you have to ask about it then you should request a different car. Meaning it's bothering you and you still have a chance to get another car.

I've bought 5 new cars in my life and every one had less than 10 miles on the odometer. I didn't look for that, it just happened to play out that way. It's reasonable to expect to have lows miles unless the model has been on the lot for months.

To that end take a look at the manufacture date on the driver's side door. If it's been more than six months that is another reason to ask for another car.

61 miles is enough to ask for another. Again it only matter what YOU think, and by asking the question you are signifying it is a question. At the very least bring this up before signing the papers and have the dealer throw in some goodies to 'ease your mind'. I'm thinking those CX-5 car mats, window tinting, or oil changes covered for three years.

Sorry, but this is silly. Your warranty starts at delivery miles. IOW, if you take delivery with 61 miles on the odometer, a 36K warranty ends at 36,061 miles. That's what matters.

These kind of discussions are funny to me. Unless you special ordered a vehicle or are buying it soon after it came of the truck, it's going to have miles on it. When I do a test drive, they usually run from 5-15 miles, depending on what the customer is looking to get out out of it. Now multiply that by all the other salespeople demoing cars to customers and the miles add up. I've sold new vehicles with anywhere from 2-750 miles on them (or thousands of miles for brands that sell demos/loaners as new). And like Bird-Dog said, the warranty starts with the miles on the vehicle when you sign the papers. That's why we have to do an odometer confirmation.

There's also a shortage of new vehicle inventory right now for most companies.

If you have to ask about it then you should request a different car. Meaning it's bothering you and you still have a chance to get another car.

61 miles is enough to ask for another. Again it only matter what YOU think, and by asking the question you are signifying it is a question. At the very least bring this up before signing the papers

No need to lecture the OP as your response did not address his situation or question. Yes he asked because it's bothering him, duh. As far as your suggestion 'still have a chance to get another car" - ding ding ding, that's what he asked if he still has that option

Half the things in the world are "it only matters what YOU think", but that's not why we have threads. He's asking about his options after signing the contract.

Last edited:
My CX-5 is my first new car. It had a similar amount of miles on it. I understand the OCD, but 61 miles is nothing. A few hard acceleration or braking events is not going to affect the reliability of the car over 50 or 100,000 miles.

The new soul red 2019 GT I wanted, from the dealer that offered the price I wanted, was was 100 miles away. Now, 2 years later it doesn't mean a hill of beans.

Hey guys - Thanks for taking time to comment, I appreciate it. Helpful to have your input, I ended up sharing my concerns with sales rep as some of you suggested, and he got defensive and snarky, "what else do you want, I gave you good deal" and "It's a done deal"...like that.

Instead of turning the relationship sour, I just thanked him and going to take my car and enjoy it. He better at least fill up the gas tank..When I test drove it, it was literally on 0 and I actually put a gallon in because I was worried it would run out!

Anyways - excited to be a CX-5 owner, nicest car I've ever had.

Back