How long did your brake pads last?

katmar

:
16 CX-5 GT and 13 CX-5 Touring AWD
How long did your front and rear brake pads last? Just curious what the average experience is, and what to expect.

My rear pads were just replaced at 33,000 miles (worn to the point of squealing when backing up), which seems early to me. I showed them the TSB about the rears binding and causing premature wear, but they claimed the wear pattern didn't match the TSB.

My front pads were down to 5/10 (which was fine), but I replaced them anyway because for some reason my front rotors were badly gouged (saw them, they really were) and had to be replaced.

Just curious if this is what I can expect to be doing every 33,000 miles?

Any guesses as to why both front rotors were gouged even though the pads were only 1/2 worn? Road salt from the winter not being washed out often enough maybe?

Ours is in for service today at 26,900 and they say I need new pads at $230, which already seemed (a) early, and (b) expensive, even before I read about the TSB.

I replaced pads and rotors on the Wife's '13 at 28,800 that included 3 salty winters.
The fronts looked to be only about 3/8 gone but the backs were down to their last 1/4 and making chattering sounds.
I went with Raybestos for replacement and the performance is as good as or better than OEM.

Thanks for the replies, good to see needing brakes at 33,000 miles isn't unheard of. Though I'd rather have gone 78,000 like iced_theater ;)

At 18,000 miles, my pads look like 10% gone so I'm expecting ~ 70-80,000 miles like my CX7 did. Ed

51,300 miles and I'm still on the original pads but I pull the wheels and grease the sliders and inspect the brakes every year. Last year they were barely worn with about 34,000 miles on them. I also do mostly highway and tend to keep my distance so I use my brakes as little as possible and save gas too.

56,000 miles on mine and they are still "green" on the dealers green, yellow, red scale.

I have 33000 on my rears now, and was told at my last service, that they'll need replacing probably at my next service- 36k.
My fronts are nowhere near replacement time. I drive a lot of highway miles.

My dealer has told me the past 2 visits that my rear pads and rotors are going and will need to be replaced. I have 60,000 kms (37,200 miles) on the vehicle. My brakes are now squeaking like crazy so I have an appt for Saturday am. To be honest, I expected more mileage here before having to replace pads/rotors. I'm also a bit confused as to why the rears went before the fronts. When I scheduled my appt, the service lady said it's normal for CX5 for the rears to go before the fronts.

Bon Scott

Ours is in for service today at 26,900 and they say I need new pads at $230, which already seemed (a) early, and (b) expensive, even before I read about the TSB.

I highly doubt you need new brakes. 50k miles on mine and they are working perfectly with no sounds.

51,300 miles and I'm still on the original pads but I pull the wheels and grease the sliders and inspect the brakes every year. Last year they were barely worn with about 34,000 miles on them. I also do mostly highway and tend to keep my distance so I use my brakes as little as possible and save gas too.

did you notice any difference with braking performance after servicing the calipers? how often would you say it should be done to keep brakes in optimal condition?

I think there is 2 strong factors which determine when you need new break pads / rotors ...

1. the way you drive / stop and go traffic / heavy breaking

2. actual road conditions such as weather conditions

I personally got the feeling my break pads / rotors will last a while
due to my own personal driving style and that I live in mild climate conditions.

I think there is 2 strong factors which determine when you need new break pads / rotors ...

due to my own personal driving style and that I live in mild climate conditions.
For CX-5 we have to add 2 additional factors:

1. Sticking caliper pins due to lack of lubrication from factory.

2. Sticking rear calipers with Electrical Parking Brake due to improper tolerance on rear calipers with EPB.

These 2 are well known issues on CX-5 which will make your brake pads wearing out really fast!

1st cx-5: 47K rears , fronts with some life left, but replaced both with Wagner thermo quiet
2nd cx-05: 45K front and rears with some life left but replaced both with akebonos.

Both work very well.

But if you're in SF proper, those seven hills will take their toll! Take it from a native.

My dealer has told me the past 2 visits that my rear pads and rotors are going and will need to be replaced. I have 60,000 kms (37,200 miles) on the vehicle. My brakes are now squeaking like crazy so I have an appt for Saturday am. To be honest, I expected more mileage here before having to replace pads/rotors. I'm also a bit confused as to why the rears went before the fronts. When I scheduled my appt, the service lady said it's normal for CX5 for the rears to go before the fronts.

Bon Scott

That's about when I did mine (pads, but not squeaking) and yes, it's common now with ABS for the rears to go first. I'd be surprised if the rotors were shot unless the car is parked outside in the wet and snow and only driven short distances (IOW, rusting over every night). Having driven in Toronto's nasty traffic, I know you use the brakes a lot. Ask the dealer for the rotor measurements.

BTW, do your own brakes if you're at all handy. It requires no special tools, is way cheaper, and just as safe as leaving it to the dealer. The fringe benefit is that you will also gain an appreciation for what's really going on.

Last edited:
Back