How in God’s name do you disable the auto-folding mirrors?

:
2019 Mazda6 & CX-5
I have done the following:

1.) turn ignition to “on” position. Doing so requires two presses of the ignition switch with your foot off the brake pedal so the car doesn’t start
2.) make sure window lock is engaged / pressed in
3.) press front passenger side window switch; rear passenger window switch and rear driver side switch at the same time and hold for not less than 3 seconds.

I've also done the same procedure by pressing the ignition switch just once to accessory mode. Neither works.
Maybe the car just needs to actually be “on”? I’ll try that tomorrow. In the meantime, anyone see any errors in my steps? I’m doing all three steps within seconds. This is driving me bonkers! We have snow and ice and I don’t want the mirrors trying to fold if caked with that stuff!

I have a 19 Sig....great SUV. The question was previously asked... check this out:

Thanks but those instructions are not working for me. The only question I have is perhaps I need to lift the window switches vs press them down, or maybe I’m not switching the ignition “on” to the right setting.

Just re-tried this exact procedure and still can’t disable it. I’m stopping at the dealership this morning to see if they can help.

I have done the following:

1.) turn ignition to “on” position. Doing so requires two presses of the ignition switch with your foot off the brake pedal so the car doesn’t start
2.) make sure window lock is engaged / pressed in
3.) press front passenger side window switch; rear passenger window switch and rear driver side switch at the same time and hold for not less than 3 seconds.

I've also done the same procedure by pressing the ignition switch just once to accessory mode. Neither works.
Maybe the car just needs to actually be “on”? I’ll try that tomorrow. In the meantime, anyone see any errors in my steps? I’m doing all three steps within seconds. This is driving me bonkers! We have snow and ice and I don’t want the mirrors trying to fold if caked with that stuff!

I followed the procedures in the manual and it worked first time. You can still fold them by turning the little adjustment knob 180deg. I did not start the car.

I got it to work. The instructions are not clear IMO. Before I started the procedure, I went ahead and engaged/pressed the window lock so I didn’t have to do it. Turns out that is not correct. Here’s the proper instructions:

1.) make sure window lock switch is not engaged

2.) turn ignition to “on” position. Doing so requires two presses of the ignition switch with your foot off the brake pedal so the car doesn’t start.

3.) Within seconds of placing the ignition in the “on” , press/engage the window lock button.

3.) within seconds of engaging the window lock button, press front passenger side window switch; rear passenger window switch and rear driver side switch at the same time and hold for not less than 3 seconds.

Again, this finally worked for me. Subtle but important details in my description vs Mazda’s. Mazda’s would seem to indicate it’s fine if you start with the window lock button in the engaged/locked position-not the case. And for goodness sake Mazda-just incorporate this feature in your Mazda Connect menu items under the vehicle menu like any other manufacturer!!!

I find this funny. On the Lexus forums, people have been complaining for years about certain models not coming with this option. I come here and people want to turn the feature off. :giggle:

I find this funny. On the Lexus forums, people have been complaining for years about certain models not coming with this option. I come here and people want to turn the feature off. :giggle:

what’s funny about not wanting to break your auto folding mirrors when they are frozen in position with ice and snow?

I've had my GTR for 367 days and have yet to have the mirrors freeze up and become a problem. Near Boston.......

I've had my GTR for 367 days and have yet to have the mirrors freeze up and become a problem. Near Boston.......

We've had ours a little longer than that, in the Chicago area. No issues here either.

I have no issue if the OP wants to disable them. It just reminded me of the all the people complaining on the other forum. That's what I thought was funny, not the OP actually damaging theirs.

My bad on the tone I had in my response. We’ve had ice here the past few days. Not a ton but enough to glaze the trees and cars when left outside. Once when I went to unlock the car, the mirrors cracked a light layer of ice. That concerned me so I have disabled then and will just manually set them when I feel it’s necessary.

I got it to work. The instructions are not clear IMO. Before I started the procedure, I went ahead and engaged/pressed the window lock so I didn’t have to do it. Turns out that is not correct. Here’s the proper instructions:

1.) make sure window lock switch is not engaged

2.) turn ignition to “on” position. Doing so requires two presses of the ignition switch with your foot off the brake pedal so the car doesn’t start.

3.) Within seconds of placing the ignition in the “on” , press/engage the window lock button.

3.) within seconds of engaging the window lock button, press front passenger side window switch; rear passenger window switch and rear driver side switch at the same time and hold for not less than 3 seconds.

Again, this finally worked for me. Subtle but important details in my description vs Mazda’s. Mazda’s would seem to indicate it’s fine if you start with the window lock button in the engaged/locked position-not the case. And for goodness sake Mazda-just incorporate this feature in your Mazda Connect menu items under the vehicle menu like any other manufacturer!!!

Yes, that would be so much easier in the settings menu. Maybe Mazda is listening.

I guess I was lucky in getting it to work the first time. My window lockout must have been in the Off position when I started the procedure. I just added a note to my pdf manual. I'll have to pencil one in on the hard copy as well.

I had to smile when you mentioned taking it to the dealer. My sales guy called for my obligatory Week #1 "How do you like your car?" conversation, and when I told him I had turned this function off, he said "You can do that!?!?!? Hold on. Let me write this down. I've had customers ask." :oops:

As he and I talked further, he made mention of his disappointment in not being able to tie seat settings to each fob, like some car he owned in the past!!! o_O

It was a very educational call...for one of us.
I should have sent him a bill.

You don’t have a switch? There is a 3 way switch on the window switch on mine - folded, out and auto?

You don’t have a switch? There is a 3 way switch on the window switch on mine - folded, out and auto?
He wants to disable the auto-folding function. The switch will still work...you can use it to fold in the mirrors. They will just stay deployed when you turn the car off.

The procedure for cancelling the auto-folding function is on Page 3-34 of the 2019 Owner's Manual.

I live in central Florida, so freezing isn't my concern. But I plan on keeping this CX5 until the wheels fall off (maybe 15 years). So my main concern is reliability and wear&tear on a vital component.
I've been driving for over 50 years and I can not remember one time where I thought "gee, I wish my mirrors folded automatically every time I locked the car".
I have no use for this "feature". It is nice to be able to fold them in the rare case where needed. I just think that being electro-mechanical, these things could eventually fail. And if it fails in the retracted position, that would be a dangerous condition. Plus a considerable expense to fix. I'm sure they are designed to last at least until the warranty expires - so the cost will be on my dime.

When I first got the car, I immediately disabled that auto door-lock feature (when walking away from the car with the fob). Besides being a PITA in my garage (where I like my car unlocked), it would more than quadruple the wear&tear on the mirrors. But that feature was easily defeated in the GUI. It didn't require a kabuki dance. BMan, thanks for clarifying the manual's instructions. I haven't tried it yet.

He wants to disable the auto-folding function. The switch will still work...you can use it to fold in the mirrors. They will just stay deployed when you turn the car off.

The procedure for cancelling the auto-folding function is on Page 3-34 of the 2019 Owner's Manual.
I may have described it badly but one of the options is for it not to fold when the ignition is turned off.

I may have described it badly but one of the options is for it not to fold when the ignition is turned off.
Really???

Not in my Reserve it's not. That's why there's the contorted disable process in the manual.

I mean, if there really is a way to turn this off with the switch, then they would not have included these instructions (or programmed this process) to do the exact same thing.

I don't think we're all on the same page.

Are you talking about a CX-5 in the North American market?

Edit to add: My switch has these positions:
10 o'clock: Enables adjusting the left mirror (you bump the knob left/right & up/down to adjust).
2 o'clock: Enables adjusting the right mirror.(you bump the knob left/right & up/down to adjust).
6 o'clock: Manually folds the mirrors in.
12 o'clock: Normal operation. Accidentally bumping the knob will not adjust the mirrors and the mirrors are deployed.

Last edited:
I find this funny too!
This is mostly for Europe feature, where parking spots are very narrow.
Here in the US, sometimes it could be useful in compact spots, but usually it is not needed, so it is perfectly understandable why someone would want to disable it.

The really funny thing is this feature is most useful in crowded urban conditions, yet is only available on turbo models that will never see any use there.

Back