How do you like your manual CX-5?

Agreed, that would be just awesome. But unfortunately Americans have a horrid taste in cars and for some reason prefer lumbering SUV’s and trucks over a wagon with similar levels of practicality but improved performance and lower running costs with the identical engine...

I’d still give the 6 sedan a look over either way. It’s got plenty of space for our needs and I have a big family.

I'm a wagon/hatchback devotee. Just can't buy a sedan. I was set to buy a Golf Sportwagon TDI with the 6 speed manual until they went and @#$%'d that all up...

I know :( I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic when it comes to cars.

If I could get a freaking manual 6 wagon with the diesel I could die happy. I'd buy it before the CX5 in a heart beat if it was available here. AWD, even better.
I've driven my automatic diesel in M = Manual mode and im very happy with it. Its really like driving a stick shift minus the clutch pedal so probably I'd say go get that automatic diesel! You won't miss the clutch pedal with that diesel torque. And best of all its not CVT. The SkyActiv transmission is hybrid in a sense that it also has a clutch locking mechanism after a few seconds of shifting so there's minimal loss in power.

I've driven my automatic diesel in M = Manual mode and im very happy with it. Its really like driving a stick shift minus the clutch pedal so probably I'd say go get that automatic diesel! You won't miss the clutch pedal with that diesel torque. And best of all its not CVT. The SkyActiv transmission is hybrid in a sense that it also has a clutch locking mechanism after a few seconds of shifting so there's minimal loss in power.

Its a good automatic and the manual mode is quite good, but it doesnt compare to driving with a true clutch.

I've driven an auto, Mazda 3 in manual mode. While Mazda makes a fine auto gearbox (as far as those go), there's no replacement for a real manual transmission for driving enjoyment.

I'm glad you're happy with yours but it really isn't 'like driving a stick'.

I'm a wagon/hatchback devotee. Just can't buy a sedan. I was set to buy a Golf Sportwagon TDI with the 6 speed manual until they went and @#$%'d that all up...

Why dont you import a manual diesel wagon from Europe? Id do it, that is a sick car.

Im actually quite impressed with the size of the sedan. We took a road trip to a cottage last summer with 3 of my sisters and a trunk full of stuff for 5 people for a 4 day trip (including food and everything) and we still had some room to spare! Everyone fit comfortably in the back with lots of space to relax and the 2.5L was enthisiastic to haul everything.

But I understand you need a wagon. Its a damn shame our options are so limited here.

Why don’t you import a manual diesel wagon from Europe? I’d do it, that is a sick car.

I’m actually quite impressed with the size of the sedan. We took a road trip to a cottage last summer with 3 of my sisters and a trunk full of stuff for 5 people for a 4 day trip (including food and everything) and we still had some room to spare! Everyone fit comfortably in the back with lots of space to relax and the 2.5L was enthisiastic to haul everything.

But I understand you need a wagon. It’s a damn shame our options are so limited here.

IIRC, cars need to be 15+ years old to import to Canada.

Wow a bunch more posts again. Thanks all for the input.

I drove the 2017 manual last night for about 45 minutes and I loved it. I found the 2.0L to be perfectly adequate when matched with a manual. Yes the 2.5L would be a preferred motor for passing on back roads/extensive towing, but getting it up to speed around town I never felt the 2.0L was slow and it could easily tow my trailers under 1000lbs. The manual is butter with super short throws and only a bit of notch so you can feel the gears engage. The the clutch was one of the best I've used in awhile and had a great grab without being jerky. To be perfectly honest the handling and performance was so tight and precises at one point I forgot I was driving a S/CUV it felt like a car. Besides engine power the CX-5 was better in every way than a 2015 BMW X1 I test drove. I was greatly disappointed I expected a lot more from that badge.

I love wagons so I am not stuck on a S/CUV but I cannot buy a sedan. I do too many activities I need a hatch with cargo room and the CX-5's 40/20/40 split seat is great! And yes the mazda automatics are great but a manual is even better. I love to drive so a vehicle is more than just transport to me. I had a chat with one salesman who I really disliked because he kept telling me the automatic was better because it was faster. That's great, I want a manual it's more engaging to drive. Yes, but the automatic is faster... He never grasped I want the driving pleasure of the manual and I didn't care about all out speed.

Last edited:
Wow a bunch more posts again. Thanks all for the input.

I drove the 2017 manual last night for about 45 minutes and I loved it. I found the 2.0L to be perfectly adequate when matched with a manual. Yes the 2.5L would be a preferred motor for passing on back roads/extensive towing, but getting it up to speed around town I never felt the 2.0L was slow and it could easily tow my trailers under 1000lbs. The manual is butter with super short throws and only a bit of notch so you can feel the gears engage. The the clutch was one of the best I've used in awhile and had a great grab without being jerky. To be perfectly honest the handling and performance was so tight and precises at one point I forgot I was driving a S/CUV it felt like a car. Besides engine power the CX-5 was better in every way than a 2015 BMW X1 I test drove. I was greatly disappointed I expected a lot more from that badge.

I love wagons so I am not stuck on a S/CUV but I cannot buy a sedan. I do too many activities I need a hatch with cargo room and the CX-5's 40/20/40 split seat is great! And yes the mazda automatics are great but a manual is even better. I love to drive so a vehicle is more than just transport to me. I had a chat with one salesman who I really disliked because he kept telling me the automatic was better because it was faster. That's great, I want a manual it's more engaging to drive. Yes, but the automatic is faster... He never grasped I want the driving pleasure of the manual and I didn't care about all out speed.

Nice write up!

Like I said before, those with CX-5 manuals seem to align with your thoughts above. It's not always about how fast the engine is, but about the simple driving pleasure of a manual. :)

I drove my 2013 Sport MT for 14K miles. I LOVED it. It was the best MT I had. Unfortunately, I had to trade it in for AT due to unbearable traffic I faced while driving to work every day.

It's changed since then. If they offered 2.5L MT, I'd get it now.

I drove my 2013 Sport MT for 14K miles. I LOVED it. It was the best MT I had. Unfortunately, I had to trade it in for AT due to unbearable traffic I faced while driving to work every day.

It's changed since then. If they offered 2.5L MT, I'd get it now.

Just gave me an idea. Take a 2.5l Mazda3 manual hatchback and install a 4-inch lift kit. Then again just get a Subaru.

Like a brother from another mother! I'm amazed at how many people don't grasp the bolded. I like driving. I like being engaged with my vehicle. I don't care how good/more efficient/faster your automatic is. It's not as much fun or as engaging to drive.

Just gave me an idea. Take a 2.5l Mazda3 manual hatchback and install a 4-inch lift kit. Then again just get a Subaru.

The 3 is a touch smaller than the CX5. There's also no AWD (or diesel) option. If Mazda sold a vehicle here that addressed those issues, I'd by one in a heartbeat.

If I lived in Germany, I could get a Mazda 6 wagon with diesel motor, AWD with a 6 speed manual and be in heaven....

Wow. Whew offer 2.5lt Mazda 3 in your location?

That's right my fellow Filipino friend. They've got the 2.5 manual Mazda3 here in the states. BTW have you seen the new issue of Mazda magazine? They drove through the Philippines. Even had an Ifagao tribesman on one of the photos.

i drive a 2014 2.0 manual, its a great car
- excellent transmission, throws are short smooth and precise
-155hp is adequate, never needed more power , very peppy engine that loves to rev
-excellent fuel economy 33-36mpg
-very reliable so far, at 90k right now
-very good handling feels like a bigger mazda3, reminds me of my old protege5
-great price

Last edited:
If I recall correctly the current 2.0 manual CX-5 found in Canada has a nearly 8k redline.

For goodness sake.

On my manual it gives recommends on gears, it will frequently say 4-6 indicating going from 4th to 6th (at least that's what I though). My understanding was as long as I rev matched, the synchros would not be damaged/worn.
Am I wrong?

On my manual it gives recommends on gears, it will frequently say 4-6 indicating going from 4th to 6th (at least that's what I though). My understanding was as long as I rev matched, the synchros would not be damaged/worn.
Am I wrong?

Rev matching doesn't have anything to do with your synchros.

Skipping gear is fine as long as you don't over do it.
On upshifts, you should take an extra second or so in neutral before you shift into the next gear. The upshift should feel smooth and effortless. If you encounter resistance going into gear, you're over doing it.

With downshifts, you're putting a tiny bit of wear on your synchros no matter if you skip gears or not. (synchros are designed to wear down)
If you skip straight from 6th to 2nd, the 2nd gear synchro is doing all the work. If you row through all the gears, each gear does some of the work, but the total amount of wear is the same. 1st, 2nd and 3rd have the strongest synchros in these transmissions, so they happily take the use.

The best thing that you can do to help your synchros is to avoid shifting in and out of neutral at speed.

Last edited:
Our standard box is manual. We can get it with the 2.0G and the 150 powered 2.2D in various specs. It's one of the nicest 6 speed boxes I've come across in a SUV with no notchyness at all. It's very light and smooth.
Where did you get a manual in diesel? No doubt you're in Europe I guess eh? Speaking as a Canadian here...

Back