2017~2024 How bad are the stock Yoko g91s in snow?

How bad are the stock Yoko g91s in snow?

Got about 17k miles on our 19 with stock 225/65/17 Yokohama Geolander g91a tires. Most everything Ive read about these tires online states how incredibly terrible they are in various conditions. We bought our cx5 awd new in June so havent had a chance yet to drive in rain or snow, but the tires have been fine in the dry, and still have about 70% or more tread remaining. Planning on several trips up to Lake Tahoe this winter if it ever snows, and am wondering if the stock yokos will get us thru the snow without much trouble.

What do you guys think? Run stock Yokos up to the snow or replace with better all season tires? Will be replacing with something better eventually and hate to get rid of good tires with so much tread left, but also gotta keep the fam safe

In my opinion the G91A would work, and would do ok in the snow...however, that being said, other tires will do much better.

When you say 70% tread remaining, are you talking about the amount measured at the wear bars located at the arrow marks on the sidewall? Or is that 70% of tread remaining till bald?

Having had driven thru 3 different sets of the G91A, on 3 different CX-5's, I would say that you will definitely notice and appreciate a tire change / upgrade from the originals.

The G91A is a "swiss army knife" of a tire. Yes, you can fillet that fish you caught with it, but a proper knife would be a better tool (read: new all season tires ), and even better still, would be a fillet knife. (read: new set of snow tires)

Last edited:
In my opinion the G91A would work, and would do ok in the snow...however, that being said, other tires will do much better.

When you say 70% tread remaining, are you talking about the amount measured at the wear bars located at the arrow marks on the sidewall? Or is that 70% of tread remaining till bald?

Having had driven thru 3 different sets of the G91A, on 3 different CX-5's, I would say that you will definitely notice and appreciate a tire change / upgrade from the originals.

The G91A is a "swiss army knife" of a tire. Yes, you can fillet that fish you caught with it, but a proper knife would be a better tool (read: new all season tires ), and even better still, would be a fillet knife. (read: new set of snow tires)

Good description, pretty much true of any all-season tire. Having been using winter tires for the past 7 years now, I think the tire companies instilled a false sense of security for winter driving when they came up with that all-season label.

If Stickygreen is driving from California to Tahoe, probably doesn't want winter tires at home.

If Stickygreen is driving from California to Tahoe, probably doesn't want winter tires at home.

Agreed.

As for the stock 17" Yokohama Geolander G91A's...their snow performance for me here in Colorado was..."fair". Not very good, but I thought I slipped less on them in snow than I did in my General Altimax RT-43's shortly before my Blizzaks were put on.

Great info...thanks guys. Yes live in CA and not really going to use enough to justify snow tires, but was thinking of upgrading to better all seasons prematurely if needed. Everything I had read stated that g91s were suicide in snow, and now that does not appear to be the case. Ive driven in snow enough (usually in my truck on all-terrains) that I feel comfortable as long as tires are decent. My g91s were measured a couple weeks ago at 7/32-8/32, which surprising given current mileage (almost 18k).

They definitely arent the greatest tires out there, but so far dont seem as terrible as many claim

Well my G91A's were done at 18.5k miles. Sidewall bubbles.

Personally, I've driven the stretch of I-80 between Nevada and Sacramento in a January snowstorm. I wouldn't recommend these tires for that snow.

Well my G91A's were done at 18.5k miles. Sidewall bubbles.

Personally, I've driven the stretch of I-80 between Nevada and Sacramento in a January snowstorm. I wouldn't recommend these tires for that snow.
Interesting, mine developed a sidewall pinhole out of nowhere at around the same mileage...

Change in plans...waiting for rx8 wheels to come back from powder coater, then mounting a set of 235/60/18 continental truecontact tours for year-round use.

Took the fam up to Pinecrest this morning to play in the snow, and the stock Yokos were underwhelming, even in light snow & slush. Was bad enough that I didnt want to pull into a paved parking lot with 6 of snow for fear of getting stuck...pretty pathetic for an awd suv.

Back