2017~2024 Hood Lift Struts Installed

:
2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring
Because our CX-5 hoods are so heavy, I thought there was a definite purpose for these struts. They make the hood literally weightless when raising and keep the hood totally neutral when closing.

I put these on my 2016 MX-5 GT about 2 years ago and knew they were worth every penny. The hood on my MX-5 is aluminum and is very light compared to the CX-5 hood, never the less, it is so much easier to lift.

Of course, I kept the OEM prop rod installed just in case I have to raise the hood outside of my garage on a very windy day. The prop rod will give the hood extra stability in conjunction with the Hydraulic struts.

9mizxuU.jpg

Thank you. A brief search for something that fits our '15 didn't bring much, but I'm sure I can use any hatch struts of proper length, with brackets. Even the ones for 17+ hoods that you use.

You're kidding, right?! The hood is heavy? LMAO!
I'd say excessively heavy. Try aluminum ones that are installed on many cars. Heck, my Tahoe is a great example- feather light, with spring- loaded assisting mechanism.
I guess there was the reason Mazda choose to use steel, maybe as a part of the crash protection engineering. But yeah, it is heavy.

I'd say excessively heavy. Try aluminum ones that are installed on many cars. Heck, my Tahoe is a great example- feather light, with spring- loaded assisting mechanism.
I guess there was the reason Mazda choose to use steel, maybe as a part of the crash protection engineering. But yeah, it is heavy.

The Mazda6 hood seems even heavier. I had struts on a different car before and they are pretty cool to have....however was always paranoid they would fail and come down on me. If installed in the CX-5/Mazda6 It would be for convenience lifting but I'd still use the prop as a backup.

You're kidding, right?! The hood is heavy? LMAO!
I don't think it's all that heavy but I do miss having struts like this on literally every other car I've owned.
Except our current Volvo, strangely. I think this is a cool little mod I might look into.

Yeah, my old '98 Jeep GC hood worked like this. I'd look into this mod too.

Gen2 hoods are heavier than Gen1 hoods aren't they?

The Mazda6 hood seems even heavier. I had struts on a different car before and they are pretty cool to have....however was always paranoid they would fail and come down on me. If installed in the CX-5/Mazda6 It would be for convenience lifting but I'd still use the prop as a backup.

Yes, the OEM prop rod is good back up insurance and since it's already there, one might as well use it.

On my cars, I always use the prop rod along with the hydraulic lifts if I am going to leave the hood up for an extended period of time.

Proper struts on a hood should not need backup.

You're kidding, right? They're like shocks, they don't last forever.
My Maxima hood struts failed one day when I was checking the oil. At least one did and the hood would not stay up after that.

I would never trust hood struts again, glad Mazda has the rod.

I've never had the good struts just give out. My last 4 cars have had them. There's, at least with my Saabs, always been fair warning if one was dying.

Last edited:
I've never had the good struts just five out. My last 4 cars have had them. There's, at least with my Saabs, always been fair warning if one was dying.

Same here.

Years ago I bought a brand new Chrysler Lazer. It had struts for the back hatch, which was very heavy.

After a couple of years, during very cold weather in Colorado Springs, it slowly began to fail. When raised, it would begin to slowly drop. I suppose if I had let it go very long, eventually it would just drop like a rock instead of slowly falling. I simply bought new struts before it had a chance to put me or anyone else in danger. But, I did have a few weeks of warning before it slowly began to fail.

After market hood struts are just too inexpensive to not buy them. There is no excuse unless one is a body builder, wants to be a body builder or just too lazy to install them. I suspect the latter would be the major excuse. :)

I know for sure that if my wife had to open the hood of our CX-5 before I installed the struts, she wouldn't have been able to without the potential risk of injury.

I don't think my wife would even know what to do with the rod. LoL
(Yes, that sounds bad).
She'd probably tell me the hoods broke because it won't stay up.

Back