2017~2021 Hood Lift Struts Installed

:
2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring
Because our CX-5 hoods are so heavy, I thought there was a definite purpose for these struts. They make the hood literally weightless when raising and keep the hood totally neutral when closing.

I put these on my 2016 MX-5 GT about 2 years ago and knew they were worth every penny. The hood on my MX-5 is aluminum and is very light compared to the CX-5 hood, never the less, it is so much easier to lift.

Of course, I kept the OEM prop rod installed just in case I have to raise the hood outside of my garage on a very windy day. The prop rod will give the hood extra stability in conjunction with the Hydraulic struts.

:

yugrus

Contributor
:
CX-5 GT
Thank you. A brief search for something that fits our '15 didn't bring much, but I'm sure I can use any hatch struts of proper length, with brackets. Even the ones for 17+ hoods that you use.

yugrus

Contributor
:
CX-5 GT
You're kidding, right?! The hood is heavy? LMAO!
I'd say excessively heavy. Try aluminum ones that are installed on many cars. Heck, my Tahoe is a great example- feather light, with spring- loaded assisting mechanism.
I guess there was the reason Mazda choose to use steel, maybe as a part of the crash protection engineering. But yeah, it is heavy.

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
I'd say excessively heavy. Try aluminum ones that are installed on many cars. Heck, my Tahoe is a great example- feather light, with spring- loaded assisting mechanism.
I guess there was the reason Mazda choose to use steel, maybe as a part of the crash protection engineering. But yeah, it is heavy.
The Mazda6 hood seems even heavier. I had struts on a different car before and they are pretty cool to have....however was always paranoid they would fail and come down on me. If installed in the CX-5/Mazda6 It would be for convenience lifting but I'd still use the prop as a backup.

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
You're kidding, right?! The hood is heavy? LMAO!
I don't think it's all that heavy but I do miss having struts like this on literally every other car I've owned.
Except our current Volvo, strangely. I think this is a cool little mod I might look into.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Yeah, my old '98 Jeep GC hood worked like this. I'd look into this mod too.

Gen2 hoods are heavier than Gen1 hoods aren't they?

:
The Mazda6 hood seems even heavier. I had struts on a different car before and they are pretty cool to have....however was always paranoid they would fail and come down on me. If installed in the CX-5/Mazda6 It would be for convenience lifting but I'd still use the prop as a backup.
Yes, the OEM prop rod is good back up insurance and since it's already there, one might as well use it.

On my cars, I always use the prop rod along with the hydraulic lifts if I am going to leave the hood up for an extended period of time.

wlong01

Patron
:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Proper struts on a hood should not need backup.
You're kidding, right? They're like shocks, they don't last forever.
My Maxima hood struts failed one day when I was checking the oil. At least one did and the hood would not stay up after that.

I would never trust hood struts again, glad Mazda has the rod.

7eregrine

:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
I've never had the good struts just give out. My last 4 cars have had them. There's, at least with my Saabs, always been fair warning if one was dying.

Last edited:
:
I've never had the good struts just five out. My last 4 cars have had them. There's, at least with my Saabs, always been fair warning if one was dying.
Same here.

Years ago I bought a brand new Chrysler Lazer. It had struts for the back hatch, which was very heavy.

After a couple of years, during very cold weather in Colorado Springs, it slowly began to fail. When raised, it would begin to slowly drop. I suppose if I had let it go very long, eventually it would just drop like a rock instead of slowly falling. I simply bought new struts before it had a chance to put me or anyone else in danger. But, I did have a few weeks of warning before it slowly began to fail.

After market hood struts are just too inexpensive to not buy them. There is no excuse unless one is a body builder, wants to be a body builder or just too lazy to install them. I suspect the latter would be the major excuse. :)

I know for sure that if my wife had to open the hood of our CX-5 before I installed the struts, she wouldn't have been able to without the potential risk of injury.

7eregrine

:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
I don't think my wife would even know what to do with the rod. LoL
(Yes, that sounds bad).
She'd probably tell me the hoods broke because it won't stay up.