High maintenance on Turbo

yeah, looks that way.
plus the higher octane fuel cost if one wants more power.
Maintenance seems a bit more expensive vs the non turbo but at least it doesnt have the cylinder deactivate "thing" which nobody knows how would work at 100k+

Did you really start this thread to complain about $160?

At 40k the turbo owner changes plugs and owes $160. The non-turbo owner doesn't.

At 80k they both change plugs. They both owe $160.

The turbo owner is out an extra $160 over 80k. Not a big deal. 0.2 cents per mile. Probably worth it when you mash the pedal.

I'll pay the extra 16$ for more uniform resistance across the plugs... since the acceptable range by the ecu is about 6000 ohms I don't want a plug at the bottom and one at the top.. since the spark plug is the primary KS I want consistent feedback. Also fwiw, my 93 tuned car which is wot shift in redline every single time its driven, never use off brand gas, 4k max oil change, head cleaner at each oil change (i.e regular maintenece), occasional fuel system cleaner (usually G2P).. i get 60k+ on my plugs(oem mazda), and I swap them when I can tell a loss in performance, not when I get a misfire code. Also my valves don't get buildup common with no vacuum maintenece and low rpms

Last edited:
OVT? The guys that gave up on tuning this motor? You need another expert.
If you think OVT is not good enough, I’ll use true Mazda expert who designed the SkyActiv-G engine! Here’s what the Mazda CX-5 Factory Workshop Manual says:

CAUTION:
• If a spark plug that is not as specified is installed, engine performance will be deteriorated. Install only the specified spark plug when replacing.

Which means to install only Mazda Genuine spark plugs! And measure the resistance of spark plug and see if the plug meets the specification:

6A89BB8A-30BD-46BF-96EE-0ACB7AB8823C.jpeg

NGK makes the OEM plugs! I'll throw some exclamation points in for emphasis! The part number is the same! But thanks for the shop manual snippet. Mine says the same thing for the old V6 in the old CX-9. Use only Mazda plugs. Then, when you buy them, they say Motorcraft on the box, because that's who actually makes them (just like NGK makes these ones).

It's your money. Use whatever you want. But I'll bet you $32.37 that the resistance of the NGK plugs is in that range.

So, at worst, it's an extra $160 every 75,000 miles compared to the non-turbo version since the normally aspirated engine schedule calls for changes at that frequency.

It is an extra $160 every 40,000 miles and a trip to the dealer for the turbo version. Ed
Ed, I believe @jal142 means an extra set of plugs over and above the set the N/A engine schedule calls for anyway in the same mileage span. 1+1 turbo vs 1 N/A every 75K.

It is an extra $160 every 40,000 miles and a trip to the dealer for the turbo version. Ed

I'm wondering who among us who buys a $38,000-$40,000 car, worries about a small ~$4/month maintenance cost for spark plug replacement. I am not a wealthy individual, but that doesn't even rate as a minor concern. If you are in a financial situation where it would, why would you be buying a $40,000 car? I am lost on your argument.

Just found a more recent comment from the guy who had 145k. He posted about a month ago. Username is "troyrig". Here's his comment:

"I have a 2016 GT - Currently it's 4 years, 3 months and 190k miles. I just now replaced struts and shocks, sway bar links and first set of spark plugs. Otherwise it's just been oil, brake pads and tires. I switched to premium fuel at 100k miles - 25hp boost and slightly better mileage.
I don't know who 'troyrig' so I can't impune his comments, but when someone tells me " I switched to premium fuel at 100k miles - 25hp boost and slightly better mileage." I have to question any other claims

I don't know who 'troyrig' so I can't impune his comments, but when someone tells me " I switched to premium fuel at 100k miles - 25hp boost and slightly better mileage." I have to question any other claims

By "premium fuel" I assume he means higher octane. The 2.5T gets an extra 23 hp by using 93, compared to the 87 he was probably using before. He isn't wrong (with regard to the bolded statement). We do have to take everything else with a grain of salt though, as he has not validated his claims in any way.

By "premium fuel" I assume he means higher octane. The 2.5T gets an extra 23 hp by using 93, compared to the 87 he was probably using before. He isn't wrong (with regard to the bolded statement). We do have to take everything else with a grain of salt though, as he has not validated his claims in any way.

I also question since that quote said he has a 2016 GT, which would be the naturally aspirated engine, correct? I don't think that engine sees the same power bump that the turbo does.

I also question since that quote said he has a 2016 GT, which would be the naturally aspirated engine, correct? I don't think that engine sees the same power bump that the turbo does.

Ah, I see the reason for the confusion. One of the earlier quotes I paraphrased in post #11 does confirm that he is driving a 2016 CX-9 GT, not a CX-5. Here's a screenshot of the actual comment from the video.

Capture.JPG

I fully understand your comment ROCKETHEAD26. However, that extra service, regardless of the cost requires the average driver to visit the dealer. Most daily drivers don't like to visit dealers. I like my CX5 and my CX7 and do most of my own oil changes and tune-ups but, the added spark plug service, which is 2.5 times the competition is disturbing. Ed

I fully understand your comment ROCKETHEAD26. However, that extra service, regardless of the cost requires the average driver to visit the dealer. Most daily drivers don't like to visit dealers. I like my CX5 and my CX7 and do most of my own oil changes and tune-ups but, the added spark plug service, which is 2.5 times the competition is disturbing. Ed
a spark plug change can be done in about 30 min for just the cost of the plugs and a spark plug socket

a spark plug change can be done in about 30 min for just the cost of the plugs and a spark plug socket
Anyone contemplating keeping a car long enough to worry about an "extra" set of spark plugs at 80,000 miles would be well advised to learn to at least do some simple DIY like screwing in spark plugs or changing an air filter.

Even if they're not willing to DIY, I am flabbergasted that anyone thinks paying a dealership service dept $160 to change their spark plugs makes sense. That's maybe a $50 job at an independent service center.

Heck, same for even buying OEM plugs someone said were $15+ apiece. They're spark plugs! $10-$20 will get you a full set of four from an auto parts store. Do these people also go to the dealership to get "OEM" tires when they wear out? (smh)

It isn't necessarily an extra $160 every 40,000 miles and a trip to the dealer for the turbo version if many of us can DIY with four NGK plugs and some anti-sieze for about $75 delivered to our door.

It would seem that my original post and followup was completely lost on those who do plug changes in 30 minutes and use spark plugs not recommended by MAZDA. Imagion the owners shock when they get a popup saying time-to-get-engine serviced (spark plugs) at 39,000 miles. Ed

Car manufacturers would happily tell you you have to use their "special" proprietary OEM gasoline @ five times normal cost if they thought they could get you to buy it. (again, smh)

NGK says NOT to use anti-seize in a TSB.

That's good to know. Apparently the guy on YouTube who changed the plugs on his CX 9 didn't know as he used anti-seize on the plug threads.

Do you have a link to the TSB ? I have downloaded a bunch of TSB's and shop manual info for my CX 5 but don't have anything about the spark plugs except for the Mazda part numbers and maintenance schedule where it shows to change them on the 2.5T every 40,000 miles.
Thanks

That's good to know. Apparently the guy on YouTube who changed the plugs on his CX 9 didn't know as he used anti-seize on the plug threads.

Do you have a link to the TSB ? I have downloaded a bunch of TSB's and shop manual info for my CX 5 but don't have anything about the spark plugs except for the Mazda part numbers and maintenance schedule where it shows to change them on the 2.5T every 40,000 miles.
Thanks
NGK has it on their site
https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs

Back