Hi from Melbourne down under...Got questions

Suppose I should make some sort of introduction somewhere here.
I joined up the other day. I am on my third Mazda. First was an NA MX5 1.8L. Second is a 2008 build DE Mazda 2 Genki, 5dr hatch manual and the latest has been a 2018 Mazda CX-9 Azami in soul red with the beige leather interior.

Apart from the MX5 the others have been daily drivers. As a project car I have a Ford GT40 that I am slowly progressing.

I am just about to tackle a few upgrades on the Mazda’s though. The Mazda 2 I would like to add Cruze to as well as upgrade the head unit. While the CX-9 I want to add the car play upgrade to it. Would you be interested in seeing how I get on with this? If so where should I put details.

Oh I’d also like to work out how to boost the output of the two USB ports in the middle row of seating on the CX-9 so that they will power/charge an iPad.

Regards, Ryan

Hi and welcome @Ryan in Melb! Thanks for joining the Community here...I'm sure there would be interest in seeing your projects get on, I know I'm interested!

I've moved this thread to our CX-9 General Sub-Forum as you mentioned your CX-9 more than once...For the Mazda2, please post in our Mazda2 Forum here (I see you have already, nice!)...

Welcome to the forum. Here is some info on the apple carplay install that you might find useful.

How to’s and guides are always welcomed. Feel free to add yours to the forum. There is also a “ressources” section where most of the user submitted “how to’s” are kept (though not all are in that section yet).

Post in thread 'Apple CarPlay and Android Auto'
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...rplay-and-android-auto.123864083/post-6622061

Thanks. I will probably just drop it into the local dealer to do the retrofit of car play unless there is a benefit that can be gained by a DIY approach. IE if there is something that i can add that the dealer would not do. Will see how i go with the Mazda 2 DE cruse project first.

having the higher amp output on the USB for the kids in the back seat should probably be higher on the priority list. At present i just run a 3m usb cable over the seats from the rear power port.

No real benefit of doing carplay yourself, other than saving money. If you were planning to access the wiring from the front 12v socket to power your 2nd row usb then you would be removing the same trim panel as when doing the carplay mod. You could do both at the same time.

i don’t think anyone here as upgraded the rear usb, if you do end up doing it a write up would be great. In the meantime if you are only charging one tablet, then you might be able to use a usb Y cable to increase the charging capacity. I have not tried it, but it is the old way of powering equipment through weak USB.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01ALLWDFW/

Back