Hey guys, new to the P5 community...AC rattle?

Here's a big list of mods and maintenance you can do with your P5.

Nice man, I'd like to put some nice wheels and some slightly sticky street tires on my p5, maybe full exhaust. I came home to my parts waiting. I checked out the belt kit and I'm seeing no spring in there.

IMG_20200714_171210.jpg
IMG_20200714_171203.jpg

Man it's been really hot in Oregon lately and I tried to get that blower off but i threw in the towel. Although I had the diagrams thanks to you and others I think I wasn't quite sure still what I was doing and I'm tall so it's an awkward angle to turn screws. I was just over it when I tried so it's still rattling. I'll take another crack at it when it cools down a bit cause I'm a wimp when it comes to heat.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Hey guys. Based on some research on this forum, I beleive the a/c drain is clogged on my 2003 P5. I believe it is behind this piece of trim on the passenger side. I loosened the screw and it is really loose on the left side, like it should come right off. It seems stuck in the top right corner however, not coming off. Any idea why?

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_103926.jpg
    IMG_20200802_103926.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20200802_103959.jpg
    IMG_20200802_103959.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 160
... I loosened the screw and it is really loose on the left side, like it should come right off. It seems stuck in the top right corner however, not coming off. Any idea why?

There is a plastic hook/tab on the plastic cover.

You need to pull the cover towards the seat to remove it.

I looked behind that cover and I couldn't see a drain tube.

I don't know where it is.

It might drain into the engine bay?

If you've got water on your passenger side floor, check out this thread...

Thank you for your help. I guess I was chasing down the wrong hole. I checked the engine bay and think I may have found it. There is a short rubber tube coming out of the cabin on the passenger side, roughly in the right place. I tried capturing a picture, but it was difficult because it appears hard to access underneath other parts. Do you think that could be it, in the second image?

Attachments

• located underneath this.jpg
    located underneath this.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 153
  • engine bay 1.jpg
    engine bay 1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 158
I don't really know?

Does your carpet only get wet when the AC is on, or does it get wet when it rains, ?

Only with the ac running it drips from the ac down into the passenger footwell. I am quite certain that it is the ac, since it hasn't rained in weeks and I have not driven through any standing water. The first picture shows the area underneath the glove compartment.

Attachments

• Water dripping from here.jpg
    Water dripping from here.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20200801_183952.jpg
    IMG_20200801_183952.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 162
It seems to be an issue with other Mazda models as well, such as the Mazda 6 and CX5, that the ac evaporator core drain clogs. Then water builds up and spills eventually. I wasn't able to find a writeup for the P5 though

Check out those links I posted...
There are links within the links.

You can blow compressed air to clear the drain.

Thank you, I will check it out. I read about the compressed air or a bent coat hanger, but was having trouble finding the drain. If that tube in the engine bay is the drain, I am not sure that I can get to it.

... If that tube in the engine bay is the drain, I am not sure that I can get to it.

Cheesehelmut blew his AC drain out.
Then he removed his entire dash and evaporator...

His problem was way bigger.
(a 4 cm X 1 cm rusted out gap.)

If you are sure it's only the AC drain, then just try to blow it out.

I definitely hope it's not as bad as cheesehelmut's issue. I was able to squeeze underneath the car in the passenger wheel well and reach the drain from below. Blew some compressed air into it and water started coming out. Hopefully that took care of it. I'll have to see when I run the ac on my next longer drive if the water comes back.

Back