Hey guys, new to the P5 community...AC rattle?

I kinda forget but I think you reach in and push the corners together and it releases it forward.

Helllls yea you guys rock. Lol hopefully can get it back on

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_132231.jpg
    IMG_20200712_132231.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 189
When you get your blower out, see if the squirrel cage (fan blades) are wobbly or sloppy on the motor shaft.

Do you have a torque wrench?

Source a new OEM crankshaft key and bolt and make sure to tighten it to the specified torque. Also apply a few drops of GREEN Loc-Tite -NOT RED!- to seal the threads.

Improper torque causes the harmonic balancer to wobble damaging the crank's nose.

Idk guys as much as I'd love to learn and gain the experience, after looking through the guide you kindly posted and me only having basically changed spark plugs and having limited experience im feeling like maybe I'll be in over my head.

A certified mechanic who works at a shop in the same parking lot where I work said he would do the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, and all the belts, on the side for $300 not including parts.

Maybe I could do the valve cover gasket as I still want hands on and want to learn but it's far less complicated. What do you guys think?

I had some mechanical experience before I did my timing belt but found it quite difficult to change my timing belt. It took me a few days. Others had it done in a couple of hours.

There's no way I would have attempted it without the how-to on this forum.

It would suck to be in the middle of the job and have to get the car towed to a mechanic.

Keep in mind that we have a non-interference engine.
There have only been a couple of guys that have bent their valves when their T-belt snapped.

Some guys have snapped their belt twice and simply got it towed home and replaced the belt.

I replaced my T-belt at around 100,000 km and I'm not going to bother replacing it again unless it snaps.

Some guys have gone well over 200,000 miles on their original T-belt.

Engine damage is possible from a broken T-belt but it's extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
Maybe I could do the valve cover gasket as I still want hands on and want to learn but it's far less complicated. What do you guys think?

Technically, you're supposed to replace the valve cover gasket every time you remove the valve cover.

It's probably best to let the mechanic install it when he does the work.

$300 isn't that bad for a labor cost.
I would probably spend that much myself if I had to get the belt replaced instead of doing it myself again.

Here's the big list of scheduled maintenance.

There's plenty of things to keep you busy.

No doubt. If I had to get a tow I may be out around 300 anyway or more. Okay thanks man I appreciate the advice. I love this forum already. You guys are really helpful. I'm gonna have my mech do the gasket and belt. Hopefully Ive got most of the parts. Still need that spring it looks like. Do I need any more belts and do I need that crankshaft key?

That's all I can think of.

Wait until your kit comes.
My kit didn't show the tensioner spring in the listing so I ordered one separately.
The kit did have the spring in with it so I have a spare now.

That spring has been described as the most important $2 part on the car.

If it is stretched or weak, the belt can skip teeth on the gears, then the whole car has to come apart again.

Do I need any more belts and do I need that crankshaft key?

Just the two accessory belts.
Make sure you get the right ones. The ones for AC and power steering if you have those options.
(I think all P5s have both?).

I reused my crank pulley bolt and key.

And no doubt that's plenty of maintenance. Is your p5 stock @pcb?

Yeah, my car is stock.
With just a couple little mods. Headlights turn off with ignition. Power windows always on.
New wiper stalk with variable intermittent wipers.
205-50 R16 tires. (slightly oversize.)

Back