HELP! Stupid mechanic

Hi Everyone - my mechanic is a nice guy but older. I told him not to change the tranny fluid with the 90k service and I think his assistant or someone did it anyway...I’m not pissed about the money. I’m more concerned with what changing the tranny fluid when Mazda says you don’t need to will do to the tranny. Just for fun, I felt it slip a little when I drove it home. Just once though. Then it seemed to work fine..I’m pissed. Help?

What fluid did he use?
Not 100% sure but it says FZ on the paperwork, so I’m assuming he used the right kind. He’s a great mechanic outside of this, I’ve used him for 20 years numerous cars. He just had an off day. I’m praying this doesn’t ruin the CX-5. It’s had zero issues.

Upvote 0
I would question how the fluid was changed and make sure that indeed, FZ was used.

The change procedure is fairly specific and I would make sure that he followed the procedure to the letter.

How much did he charge you for the change?

Upvote 0
thats true but i prefer a mechanic that over think and do then one that is less plus he might cost him a few dollars now but saved him thousands later in damage to the trans

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I was pissed, hence the “stupid” comment, I know my mechanic meant no harm and was going by the normal playbook for a 90k service. I’m just not a fan of going against what the manufacturer says. To prolong the life as much as possible. Which is why I specifically tell him to follow what the maintenance schedule says to a T, and he has up until now. He’s been servicing my car since it was new. I drove it again and have noticed an improvement so it looks like the slip might have just been the tranny adjusting to the new fluid.

Upvote 0
He didn't listen very good. However I would be happy if he changed my fluid as long as he didn't over charged and did it correctly. I imagine he has had many years of experience. There have been people on the board who requested their dealer change the fluid and they refused, saying it was lifetime and there was nothing wrong with the transmission.

Upvote 0
I would be more upset with a mechanic doing a procedure that he was specifically asked not to do by the customer, and charging for it.
He may have thought the tranny oil change was necessary, but if the customer says don't do it, then he shouldn't have done it, regardless of his opinion.
If I go in for say, an oil change, I don't expect the mechanic to replace my spark plugs out of the blue just because he felt it was necessary. And if he did, I sure as heck wouldn't pay for it.
Just sayin'

Upvote 0
Unauthorized work: Uncool.

Changing the transmission fluid, and actually bothering to use the correct FZ ATF: Absolutely Arctic cool.

Yes, you should change your fluids. They do *not* last forever, and should be changed on some regular frequency.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. I was pissed, hence the “stupid” comment, I know my mechanic meant no harm and was going by the normal playbook for a 90k service. I’m just not a fan of going against what the manufacturer says. To prolong the life as much as possible. Which is why I specifically tell him to follow what the maintenance schedule says to a T, and he has up until now. He’s been servicing my car since it was new. I drove it again and have noticed an improvement so it looks like the slip might have just been the tranny adjusting to the new fluid.
if you want to prolong the life as much as possible,.... you should change it more often.... 90k is past due....and yes they do recommend you change the fluid if you want to extend " the life of the vehicule" if you only want to have the car for the life of the vehicule then by all means dont change the tranny fluid..LOL

Upvote 0
Back