HELP! Stupid mechanic

Hi Everyone - my mechanic is a nice guy but older. I told him not to change the tranny fluid with the 90k service and I think his assistant or someone did it anyway...I’m not pissed about the money. I’m more concerned with what changing the tranny fluid when Mazda says you don’t need to will do to the tranny. Just for fun, I felt it slip a little when I drove it home. Just once though. Then it seemed to work fine..I’m pissed. Help?

if you want to prolong the life as much as possible,.... you should change it more often.... 90k is past due....and yes they do recommend you change the fluid if you want to extend " the life of the vehicule" if you only want to have the car for the life of the vehicule then by all means dont change the tranny fluid..LOL

Where does Mazda recommend a transmission fluid change? I don't think I've seen it anywhere in the owner's manual.

Upvote 0
Where does Mazda recommend a transmission fluid change? I don't think I've seen it anywhere in the owner's manual.

look up what lifeteam means... if I die today and Im only 20yo... my lifetime was 20 years. careful with the words they use.........

Upvote 0

look up what lifeteam means... if I die today and Im only 20yo... my lifetime was 20 years. careful with the words they use.........

"All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement."

Sounds like the opposite of what you're saying.

I do plan to change the transmission fluid at some point on my own car, but Mazda doesn't explicitly state that they recommend changing the fluid on Skyactiv models.

The "sealed transmission" isn't actually 100% sealed, so my plan is to change the fluid every 100k kms (~62k mi.).

Upvote 0
"All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement."

Sounds like the opposite of what you're saying.

I do plan to change the transmission fluid at some point on my own car, but Mazda doesn't explicitly state that they recommend changing the fluid on Skyactiv models.

The "sealed transmission" isn't actually 100% sealed, so my plan is to change the fluid every 100k kms (~62k mi.).
so let me understand, you started the post saying "I’m more concerned with what changing the tranny fluid when Mazda says you don’t need to will do to the tranny." now your saying "I do plan to change the transmission fluid at some point on my own car, but Mazda doesn't explicitly state that they recommend changing the fluid on Skyactiv models."

there is virtually nothing wrong on chaning a transmission fluid before the recommended interval.. fluid degrade... thats just the way it is....

a word of advice, check this thread out, look at the japanese video.

Upvote 0
so let me understand, you started the post saying "I’m more concerned with what changing the tranny fluid when Mazda says you don’t need to will do to the tranny." now your saying "I do plan to change the transmission fluid at some point on my own car, but Mazda doesn't explicitly state that they recommend changing the fluid on Skyactiv models."

there is virtually nothing wrong on chaning a transmission fluid before the recommended interval.. fluid degrade... thats just the way it is....

a word of advice, check this thread out, look at the japanese video.

You must have misinterpreted - that's not what I was saying at all.

In post #21, you said "and yes they do recommend you change the fluid". In the following post, I asked where Mazda says that they recommend you change the fluid, because a fluid change interval isn't specified in the Scheduled Maintenance table.

Then you started talking about lifetime fluids for some reason, and posted a link. I went to the link and it says that "All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement." Now, regardless of what anyone thinks about "lifetime fluids", the point is that Mazda does not recommend a fluid change. Again, in post #21, you wrote that they do. So again, I ask, where does Mazda recommend a transmission fluid change? You're saying that they do recommend you change the fluid - I want to know where they say that.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone - my mechanic is a nice guy but older. I told him not to change the tranny fluid with the 90k service and I think his assistant or someone did it anyway...I’m not pissed about the money. I’m more concerned with what changing the tranny fluid when Mazda says you don’t need to will do to the tranny. Just for fun, I felt it slip a little when I drove it home. Just once though. Then it seemed to work fine..I’m pissed. Help?
It's a risk/reward proposition. Or an insurance proposition, if you will. You can pay the "premium" of the annual prorated cost of the fluid change to protect you from sending the vehicle to the junk yard which might be where you're at with 90k miles needing a new trans. Or not.

In my case, given how many miles my Toyota Sienna gets driven, the last fluid change, with a "BG Quick Clean" to remove gums and varnishes, worked out to about $40 per year. That was at 80k miles; I would have been comfortable with 100k but I was already at the dealer for the other services so it was a matter of convenience.

It's certainly possible the vehicle will run indefinitely on the original fluid, the "lifetime of the vehicle" circular logic notwithstanding. The question is, "do you feel lucky?"

I'd say if you do a lot of stop-and-go, towing or aggressive driving with the manual shifter (if your vehicle has that), then 60k miles is probably prudent. If you're doing a lot of free-flowing highway miles cruising along in overdrive, then 100k miles should be OK I'd think.

All things being equal, I'd say your mechanic was trying to protect you from yourself.

Upvote 0
There is tons of discussion around here about ATF fluid changes. Some do them way early, 60K or even 30K miles. I waited longer, just because I never got around to it until now, and now our car has 113K miles on it. I've drained and refilled twice now in the past month, and I'm about to do the 3rd and final refill along with dropping the pan and changing the filter strainer. Based on what came out on the initial drain, it was definitely needed. And a Blackstone UOA confirmed it. Lots of metal in the fluid, but most of that is from the initial break-in when the car was new.

Truthfully I would be more inclined to do a fluid change EARLY to get all that break-in metal out of there, and then let the second fill go to 80K to 100K miles or so. To me that seems like a better strategy to ensure the longest gearbox life possible.

Upvote 0
Did you ever ask the guy WHY he changed the fluid? What if he said "Well, we've had three customers with failed transmissions at 110,000 miles so we thought it'd be a good idea to prevent this from happening."
I think they owe you an explanation, for sure.

Upvote 0
Did you ever ask the guy WHY he changed the fluid? What if he said "Well, we've had three customers with failed transmissions at 110,000 miles so we thought it'd be a good idea to prevent this from happening."
I think they owe you an explanation, for sure.

I think that even if he had good reason to change it, he shouldn't have done it without speaking to the owner and informing them/getting their permission first. It isn't a critical safety measure that needs immediate attention, its a preventative service.

Upvote 0
Yes, but I think if you don't ask or complain, this type of thing may happen again, if not to you then to another customer.
I know that if I felt strongly that the fluid change would not be beneficial at all, I'd ask for credit on the bill.
However, if I thought that a good explanation may have changed my mind, I would've asked. Upon hearing a valid reason, I'd make sure they knew why I was upset, and let it go.

Upvote 0
Back