HELP!!! Loud Scary Knocking Noise From Engine

:
2003 mazda protege dx
i need help my car jus started makin this scary knocking noise wen i was on my way home from school im thinkin it could be a rod bearing? or a rod? can any one help me?
i have a video of it also
that was at 2500 rpm
it starts at about 2000 rpm and stops about 2500 rpm
then it comes bak at 4000 rpm,
idk if it stops again or what cause im scared to even rev it up higher
any help/imput would be much appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoytslvIEZM

lol check the heat shield someplace but something is vibrating thats not a rod knocking it would do it at all rpms have someone hold it at 2g rpms and go explore i bet its a vibration some place though

lol check the heat shield someplace but something is vibrating thats not a rod knocking it would do it at all rpms have someone hold it at 2g rpms and go explore i bet its a vibration some place though

are you serious??

that's def rod knock. rod bearing bad maybe.. idk.. but.. that's the noise. not a vibration.

stop driving that car NOW that is defenatly something to do with the rod! most likely a spun bearing. tow it to a shop now before u do more damage!

well i dont know bc i have had rod knocking b4 in other cars and bearings go out and they never sounded like that...but i never had one of these engines make that noise so i just wanted to say what i thought oh well dont drive it then

well i dont know bc i have had rod knocking b4 in other cars and bearings go out and they never sounded like that...but i never had one of these engines make that noise so i just wanted to say what i thought oh well dont drive it then

sorry. a vibration is a defined noise. much like rod knock. i've never heard it any different!

stop driving that car NOW that is defenatly something to do with the rod! most likely a spun bearing. tow it to a shop now before u do more damage!
well i am planin on leavin school early to take it to a shop, i jus have to stay under 2k rpms and it wont knock, i hope it wont be too costly

yeah my bad i have had rod knocking in other cars and it was more like a thud thud noise sorry for saying the wrong thing

That is deff rod knock! lol heat shield vibration!!! lol im sorry im not trying to be mean, but that is just funny.

iam just saying that its a clatter sound so i voiced my opinion wasnt looking for smart ass comments back but oh well to each his own,,,,

well i am planin on leavin school early to take it to a shop, i jus have to stay under 2k rpms and it wont knock, i hope it wont be too costly

it is possible for you to do this job yourself. it might help..

buy some OE bearings, drain the oil, take off the oil pan, and windage tray, and replace the bearings.. it might help you!

but the question is, is it the bearings or the rod?

well. by taking that stuff apart, you'll be able to see if it's bent or not.

..with that, you can decide what to do. having a shop check it out is going to tell you one thing.- you need a new motor. which MAY not be the case.

Lol that is the question. Man honestly if you have tools and some know how tear into the motor. see what the problems is. If it is the bearing the change it. Think about it, its not like you will mess up the motor by digging in to it. most shops will tell you to get a new engine anyways.

A heat shield will 'buzz' at certain RPMs

Valves will clatter and get change as RPM changes (1/2 RPM)

Rods knock :( They clunk at low RPMS and sound like sneakers in the dryer.

Back