Have you weighed your CX-5?

18 wheel truck scales are too crude for this because I tried it in the past. Maybe find a place that accepts scrap metal. I have used them in the past. Ed

18 wheel truck scales are too crude for this because I tried it in the past. Maybe find a place that accepts scrap metal. I have used them in the past. Ed

Huh?? They're (truck scales ... i.e. C.A.T. scale at a truckstop) accurate to within 20 lbs and give you separate axle weights.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what did you get? I'm tryi g to figure out what my travel trailer weighs. If the -5 weighs 3526 - 3589 lbs, the trailer is perfect!

The published curb weight of the CX 5 is given at 3541 (FWD Models) to 3825 lbs (AWD GT-Reserve & Signature) on the Mazda website. I forget if curb weight is with a half tank or full tank of fuel.
MotorTrend published the curb weights of 3694 lbs for an AWD GT and 3791 for an AWD Signature. Who knows if they actually put them on a scale. They didn't test the FWD versions.

To HiFlyer. My truck scale information was 40 years old and didn't realize how much improvment has been made if you are correct. Ed

To HiFlyer. My truck scale information was 40 years old and didn't realize how much improvment has been made if you are correct. Ed
Copy that. I thought maybe you had some info I was missing :) no worries

You can pull up on C.A.T. scale at a truck stop (look for the little metal grates that separate the axle scales ) and get your front axle on the 1st part of the scale and the rear axle on the next. Maybe do it with a full tank. You can step out of the vehicle and stand beside the scale and speak to the scale master on the intercom. $12.50 and it'll show you total weight and what each axle weighs. accurate to within 20lbs

HyFlyer. 40 years ago they weighed your vehicle for no charge. :)) Ed
I weighed my ws.6, 5.0gt, and z06. Have not weighed my cx5. They did it all for free and were pleased to be of help. F/r. Very accurate. Pegged my weight within 5#, as I weigh with me in the car, and out.

Grain elevators also have scales and might be willing to let you use it. The elevator in my town let me weight my pickup and 5th wheel combo a few years ago.

So how close is the factory weight to our measured weight? The factory weight is with all underhood liquids and 1/2 tank of fuel. Ed

I always thought the published curb weight was lower--with no options, etc.

Grain elevators might have a decent scale but they might charge as well.

Finally found a place to weigh my '16 CX-5. It is a Touring with Tech Package and weighs 3585 with about 15 lbs of junk, a CX-9 spare, a 35 lb Curt hitch and about 11 gal of gas (69 lbs).

So, 3465 lbs empty, but ready to drive.
I figured the stated weight of 3679 was too high.

You have to remember mine is a 2016.5 Touring with all available options. It's basically a GT without leather and with 17" wheels. Mazda says it weighs 3589 pounds. It appears mine is a little lighter than that, but my fuel load is just a swag based on the fuel gauge. 2017+ models have more sound damping.

Back