Has anyone done a DIY oil change on a 2.5T (turbo)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I can relate to that. When I checked the oil after the first 200 miles on the engine, it was a tad above the top hole. What I found was that they are coming slightly overfilled from factory. I had thought it was fuel dilution but that was not correct.
Yes, your observation is correct. Based on several 2.5T owners who didn’t bother to check the oil level on their new CX-5, what they’ve found always like you found, Mazda over-filled the engine oil a bit from factory. This makes me wonder why Mazda wants to put in more oil than specified in the manual as here some believe the given lesser 5.1 quarts on oil change, which makes the oil level between Max and Min, is intentional by Mazda.

On the other hand, Mazda under-filled the 2.5L NA from factory for some reason, as I did check mine and several other brand new 2016 CX-5’s when I picked up my CX-5 just unloaded from the truck, and all of them were ⅓ blow the Full mark.

I personally like the oil to be exactly at the top/max line. Even if I had half a quart of fuel dilution it won't hurt the engine as all engines have some room for spare capacity in the event of a major overfill. I'd only be concerned with anything more than 1/2 quart overfilled.
Exactly! And oil dilution hasn’t been a major issue on the CX-5; but oil consumption is! There’s a recent TSB on the 2.5T on oil consumption issue with no resolution yet on certain 2.5T’s. Keeping oil level at full gives you better protection on your engine.

I do my oil oil changes so I can be as particular as I like. I wonder what most dealerships are doing? I assume 5qts and done.
Based on my experience most dealers over-fill the oil for some reason. They use bulk oil, and the tech just set the meter to put in specified amount of oil. The even integer, such as 5 quarts, can’t be any more convenient for them.

All car manufactures give you the amount on oil change to the “full” amount; not in the middle between “Max” and “Min”.

This is false, lol. Mazda specifies between Max and Min in the manual.

You're wrong to say that Mazda specifies 5.1 quarts for an oil change to reach the max hole. The confusion is from statements like yours, because you're confusing your own preference with what you expect from Mazda. Plain and simple.

No I don't think that is right. What is in the manual, which 99% of the time is accurate, is a capacity figure that will bring the oil level to full mark, not in-between.

Every car I have had the manual figure = full on dipstick. Not in-between.

Every car I have had the manual figure = full on dipstick. Not in-between.

Be that as it may, I don't think Mazda specifies a hard value, or specifies that the oil level must be at the max mark, aside from when the oil level is checked and appears to be low. Mazda does specify an approximate amount, and also states that the oil level is good as long as it is within range on the dipstick.

For my CX-9, I refer to practices outlined in the Mazda manual. Same thing for my Civic, and the Honda manual. And when I had my IS250, I referred to the Lexus manual. I would never reference Lexus' manual for work being done on my CX-9.

This is false, lol. Mazda specifies between Max and Min in the manual.

You're wrong to say that Mazda specifies 5.1 quarts for an oil change to reach the max hole. The confusion is from statements like yours, because you're confusing your own preference with what you expect from Mazda. Plain and simple.
No I didn’t say that! If you read the series of my posts I’ve been saying all car manufactures, other than Mazda, give you the amount on oil change to the “full” amount; not in the middle between “Max” and “Min”. I’m questioning why Mazda gives us inconsistent fluid quantities, some are correct, but some are way off. No precision and accuracy, like giving you a range of torque value.

Would you explain why Mazda uses at least 0.5 quart more than specified 5.1 quarts for factory fill on the 2.5T? And why don’t you explain the discrepancies on gear oil quantities in front transfer case and rear differential?

No I didn’t say that!

Sure sounds like it in your post below. TunaFresh had remarked that it took 5.5 quarts to reach the Max mark. Then you quoted them and wrote:

Took more than Mazda specified, 5.1 quarts.

Again, Mazda does not specify 5.1 quarts to reach the Max mark, they never have. But in the above post, you're implying that the 5.1 quarts is supposed to reach the Max mark.

Would you explain why Mazda uses at least 0.5 quart more than specified 5.1 quarts for factory fill on the 2.5T? And why don’t you explain the discrepancies on gear oil quantities in front transfer case and rear differential?

I don't need to explain anything, there is no confusion on my end. As I have suggested to you before, if you are so concerned with why Mazda does it differently, you should email them directly and find out for yourself. I will leave it at that.

Aaaaaaaaand they're off ... Lemme go get a couple bags of 🍿🍿for the ensuing 6 page debate of oil quantity. Again. Oh ... Lol. Oh ell oooh el. And :) .

Aaaaaaaaand they're off ... Lemme go get a couple bags of 🍿🍿for the ensuing 6 page debate of oil quantity. Again. Oh ... Lol. Oh ell oooh el. And :) .

Nope, I'm done. Save the popcorn for a different thread :p

It is quite a mystery what Mazda intended. It's good to know what the reality is so when you check the oil in between oil changes you have a basis for what the dipstick should read.

At the end of the day, if you keep your oil level between the MIN and MAX level markers, you'll be fine.
EOS...

My MAZDA owner's manual states Oil quantities are APPROXIMATE. Useless discussion. Ed
Yes, 67% ~ 103% off from specified “approximate” quantity to actual on real differential is a very acceptable precision ⋯

And I can’t help to think how many DIYers got confused from these “approximate” fluid quantities the first time they’re changing some fluid and asking related questions here. A recent example from a very experienced DIYer PatrickGSR94 who thought Mazda specified 4.8 quarts on oil change for his 2.5L NA is, like everybody else, to the Full mark. When his oil level is getting lower to the Add mark, he though his engine has used a quart of oil, which of course isn’t true. It simply isn’t a useless discussion.

Been using OEM Mazda Moly oil since we bought the car in 2016.

I've been changing my own oil for over 20 years and I've never put oil in the filter before installing it. I always use the "oil change with filter" specified oil amount for all my cars, which of course makes it appear just a tiny bit above the full mark before the first time the engine is started after putting the oil in, due to some of the oil going into the filter.

I had a noticeable oil leak from the oil control valve in the valve cover last year, which I replaced last summer. Then after that I changed the oil in October, and since then I've added 1 quart. Maybe it's burning oil, who knows. I haven't seen any evidence of any leaks since changing that oil control valve.
huh? Owners manual states 4.8 US quarts for oil change with filter on the 2.5L. That's what I've always done. The oil change kits that I've bought online from Priority and other places always include 5 quarts of Mazda Moly oil along with the filter, and I leave about 6 fl ounces in the last quart bottle (0.2 quarts = 6.4 ounces).

Where are you getting 5.25 quarts from?

Last edited:
No I didn’t say that! If you read the series of my posts I’ve been saying all car manufactures, other than Mazda, give you the amount on oil change to the “full” amount; not in the middle between “Max” and “Min”. I’m questioning why Mazda gives us inconsistent fluid quantities, some are correct, but some are way off. No precision and accuracy, like giving you a range of torque value.

Disagreement and debate is one thing but to relentlessly insist on a point of view is not ok, especially across multiple threads, Forums and over time. Disrupting threads in any way is not ok. Posting misinformation is not ok. Upsetting your fellow Members is not ok.

Please remember this, thank you.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back