Has any one of you ever had your ac compressor clutch completely fall off?

ICEE

:
03 Protege5 / 90 Miata
my p5 has been down for a year now. I got it up and running yesterday so I've been back on the grind trying to fix what I can. while looking into the ac compressor ( ac stopped working many months before the care stopped working), I found that the clutch was completely missing. this got me thinking. A while back when the ac first stopped working I took it to a random ac shop to see if they could tell be what was wrong because they offered a free ac check. Considering I tried to recharge it myself and that didnt work, I figured maybe I was doing it wrong so I took it to them and they said the compressor was shot. Now, I don't meant to be that guy but is it possible that the clutch simply fell off which is why my compressor really isn't working? has any one of you heard of this happening? or, do you think there was some foul play?

Last edited:
Did you and the shop not notice the clutch is gone before trying the A/C? Serious question I'm not giving you s*** for missing that. The shop would have told you the clutch is missing if they even looked at it "Well heres your problem part of it is gone!"
Whatever the case If I were you I'd find a clutch, clean the pulley first, apply the new clutch and if the A/C still doesn't work start the process of installing a brand new one.

Heres a 8min teardown video of a cars' A/C compressor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFC5jMhUm4s
At 2:38 in that video you'll see a single tiny bolt actually holds the clutch on so if you do find a clutch just bolt it on and see if it works

This exact thing happened to me, but I had replaced the clutch myself a few months before and I probably didn't tighten the bolt enough. I found it laying on top of the splash guard thankfully. and I had the bolt from the old clutch so I was able to reattach it.

No. i recently realized the clutch is missing. When i went to the ac peopl that time ago, they didn't say anything about it missing the clutch, they just said the compressor was bad.

Back