GT-R 2019 - Can't drive with only parking lights on?

OK, just got it to work! Apparently you have to start out by pressing the engine switch twice such that the gauges are all lit. Pressing it one time (like the old acc position on an abby-normal car) would not work. I still had to go through the procedure a couple times, but got it.

Here's an old video I found that clued me in to the 2x engine button push and dash lights state:

Ah, damn. I was going to try that but forgot. That's the magic sauce. I'll try it tomorrow. Thank you!!!

Okay I did it. I turned them off, then back on and then off again. I think I like them off. I did get confused with the parking brake order because I am used to pressing the floor brake when I put on the emergency brake. Press the floor brake 3rd. 1) EB 2) Start button twice, let it finish all the way 3) floor brake. Then the parking lights on 5 times and the hazzard light on 5 times (10 presses) and the parking lights on 5 times again.

OK, just got it to work! Apparently you have to start out by pressing the engine switch twice such that the gauges are all lit. Pressing it one time (like the old acc position on an abby-normal car) would not work. I still had to go through the procedure a couple times, but got it.

Here's an old video I found that clued me in to the 2x engine button push And dash lights sh

And the flow-chart says “SWITCH IGNITION ON (ENGINE OFF)” which is the correct description.

And the flow-chart says “SWITCH IGNITION ON (ENGINE OFF)” which is the correct description.

Obviously, that statement wasn't clear enough for some of us. "Without foot on brake, push start button twice" offers no room for confusion. Glad we got it figured out. Not being a car guy, I didn't know the nuance of the "Switch ignition on" statement.

Obviously, that statement wasn't clear enough for some of us. "Without foot on brake, push start button twice" offers no room for confusion. Glad we got it figured out. Not being a car guy, I didn't know the nuance of the "Switch ignition on" statement.
It is a little confusing.

Keyed systems have an ACC and ON and a Start position.

This has Push Once Without Pedal, Push A Second Time Without Pedal, and Push With Pedal.

And these are Manuals by Mazda. Lots of comments here regarding their incompleteness and lack of clarity.

If you don't like the brand, it's a source of derision.
If you do like the brand, it's "quaint."
Just like any other relationship...

it does work but its pita :)
took me 10-12 attemps last year when I did it. With the cost of a led bulb which I dont event think can be changed separately from the whole assembly, no thank you for the stupid drl with headlight bulbs.
Wonder when Mazda will add real drl as on the european models. Using headlights for drl is just stupid.

The other "trick" is that you have to start the switch routine within 2 seconds of putting your foot on the brake. If you hesitate at that point, it will fail.

Just to be clear, will this procedure allow the LED light bars to remain lit at all times. The headlights will remain off until evening (auto lights) or if you manually select the headlights ON.

No, the accent LEDs are turned off when the DRLs are disabled. The only way to get them is to run with parking lights or headlights on, unfortunately.

Bummer, thanks for the info. I like leaving the stalk on auto so interest in doing this has gone way down lol.

Not sure I understand this comment. Even if you leave on auto the LED headlights will be lit in DRL mode, unless you turn DRL off - per NathanH "Switch auto = Everything off until light level triggers headlights on."

So if your intent is to prolong the LED life, you would still want to turn DRL off even if running in Auto.

I'm thinking about getting/installing these custom switchbacks (in the fog light area) and using them as the DRLs, turning the headlight DRLs off. Currently only $61 (incl the foglight bracket - which my car doesn't have) from Aliexpress/China.

HTB1Zt1eHb1YBuNjSszhq6AUsFXaN.jpg

Not sure I understand this comment. Even if you leave on auto the LED headlights will be lit in DRL mode, unless you turn DRL off - per NathanH "Switch auto = Everything off until light level triggers headlights on."

So if your intent is to prolong the LED life, you would still want to turn DRL off even if running in Auto.

I'm thinking about getting/installing these custom switchbacks (in the fog light area) and using them as the DRLs, turning the headlight DRLs off. Currently only $61 (incl the foglight bracket - which my car doesn't have) from Aliexpress/China.

HTB1Zt1eHb1YBuNjSszhq6AUsFXaN.jpg

That's not a bad idea.

As I've said, I like the visibility of daytime lights, but hate the idea of it costing me $$$$.

I've already got fog lights, and could wire these so I could use the existing fog light switch to control them.

As long as there's no significant mechanical modification required (meaning cleanly uninstalled when they die), I'd be interested.

I've already got fog lights, and could wire these so I could use the existing fog light switch to control them.

As long as there's no significant mechanical modification required (meaning cleanly uninstalled when they die), I'd be interested.

From what I can see they just replace the existing trim plates and so are reversible. If you have fogs already you don't need the fog light bracket and so they'd be even cheaper.

Seems a number of members have these already, See @Rutedown and @SamV90 's recent posts on the mods and accessories thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...nd-accessories.123834276/page-49#post-6675742

Does anyone know if the headlights swivel when they are functioning only as DRLs?

Does anyone know if the headlights swivel when they are functioning only as DRLs?
This is what the manual says:
The adaptive front lighting system (AFS) automatically adjusts the headlight beams to the left or right in conjunction with the operation of the steering wheel after the headlights have been turned on.

Doesn't specifically state.
"...after the headlights have been turned on" has an implication to it.

No, the accent LEDs are turned off when the DRLs are disabled. The only way to get them is to run with parking lights or headlights on, unfortunately.
So if I successfully turn DRLs off and set lighting switch to parking, all lights except headlights will turn on, including accent LEDs?

Latest posts

Back