2017~2024 Good guide for rear sway bar install on AWD CX-5?

CX_MCHNE

Thread Necromancer
:
CA
:
2019 GTR
Hoping to find some time soon to install hardrace sways on my '19 GT-R. Looks like I'll be dropping the subframe for the rear, wondering if anyone is aware of a good guide for this process, including any special considerations for AWD.

What I've found so far:
  • Gen2 Workshop Manuals shared on this forum - doesn't seem to have anything for suspension
  • Service and Repair Manual on mcx5.org - has a Rear Stabilizer Removal/Installation [AWD] procedure, but I think this manual is for Gen1. And I'm hoping I won't really have to remove the propeller shaft.
  • JB rear camber arm installation instructions for 2014+ 3, 6, and CX-5 - explains dropping the subframe for access, but not sure whether the instructions are applicable to Gen2/AWD (they're for multiple models/years and JB doesn't show they sell parts for 2017+ CX-5, only 2013-16).
  • CorkSport rear camber arm installation instructions for 2013+ CX-5 - explains dropping the subframe for access, but not sure whether the instructions apply to Gen2/AWD (they're for multiple models/years and CS doesn't list these arms under 2017+ CX-5).
  • Hardrace instructions supplied in box - Step 1: install bars, Step 2: enjoy.
  • 247 CX-5 Resources - learned about the paddle shifter retrofit (ordered!) but didn't find any rear suspension threads.
Couldn't find there was already a thread for this, so asking if anyone knows of an existing guide, or has knowledge that one of the above guides does have what I need to know for upgrading a rear sway bar on a Gen2 AWD CX-5. Thanks!

Hoping to find some time soon to install hardrace sways on my '19 GT-R. Looks like I'll be dropping the subframe for the rear, wondering if anyone is aware of a good guide for this process, including any special considerations for AWD.

What I've found so far:
  • Gen2 Workshop Manuals shared on this forum - doesn't seem to have anything for suspension
  • Service and Repair Manual on mcx5.org - has a Rear Stabilizer Removal/Installation [AWD] procedure, but I think this manual is for Gen1. And I'm hoping I won't really have to remove the propeller shaft.
  • JB rear camber arm installation instructions for 2014+ 3, 6, and CX-5 - explains dropping the subframe for access, but not sure whether the instructions are applicable to Gen2/AWD (they're for multiple models/years and JB doesn't show they sell parts for 2017+ CX-5, only 2013-16).
  • CorkSport rear camber arm installation instructions for 2013+ CX-5 - explains dropping the subframe for access, but not sure whether the instructions apply to Gen2/AWD (they're for multiple models/years and CS doesn't list these arms under 2017+ CX-5).
  • Hardrace instructions supplied in box - Step 1: install bars, Step 2: enjoy.
  • 247 CX-5 Resources - learned about the paddle shifter retrofit (ordered!) but didn't find any rear suspension threads.
Couldn't find there was already a thread for this, so asking if anyone knows of an existing guide, or has knowledge that one of the above guides does have what I need to know for upgrading a rear sway bar on a Gen2 AWD CX-5. Thanks!
The rear suspension design should be very similar between gen-1 CX-5 and gen-2 CX-5. I don’t believe you’d need to drop the subframe for the rear sway bar installation based on Chris_Top_Her’s comment:

Dude! They removed your entire rear subframe to do that?? LMAO
I think you are the person first I've seen here with the UR rear sway bar, looks good. Those brackets actually are better than what I expected.
I hope you don't play a lot for labour over there.. You should have waited and installed a rear camber arm as well. You need to have to same kind of access to remove the inside bolt on the OEM "Rear Upper Arm"

So the Rear anti sway and front are the same on gen1/2? I'm not surprised, that's good information for the forum; good job.

Rear sway is relatively easy to access, if you have access to a lift. Although you could do it on jack stands set to high and a jack to raise and lower the rear differential. You remove 1 bolt from each rear end link and then the four subframe bolts while you have a jack under the rear differential (the rear diff is attached tot he subframe so it's not going anywhere, just don't let it hang since that's a lot of weight on the transmission). This allows you to lower the subframe enough to access the sway bar. Front is more involved as you have to lower the front subframe a little, (I think 6 bolts) and also unbolt 1 end of the RMM, in addition to the 1 end of each end link. If you plan on paying for labour I'd get a quote first. I ran a rear only for a long time but I also had stiffer springs/dampers which also control body roll. The front was more important to me because of my ride height compared to the performance gain (which was not that drastic due to my other mods) in my set up. If you are running stock height I'd probably run a rear only and decide later if you want the front. Since C/S doesn't officially list a CX-5 bar anymore (I didn't check again), Ultra Racing, Hard Race (resold as Megan racing) and autoexe are choices.

The rear suspension design should be very similar between gen-1 CX-5 and gen-2 CX-5. I don’t believe you’d need to drop the subframe for the rear sway bar installation based on Chris_Top_Her’s comment:
Thanks for those references! Yeah, I don't think I'll have to remove the rear subframe completely, but it's definitely gonna need to be lowered some to snake the bars out and in over it. Just not sure how much of the info from Chris changes for AWD. The Gen2 rear sway bar for AWD is not the same as Gen1. And if the rear diff is going to move w/ the subframe, then so is the AWD coupling, and I have no idea how far it's ok to move that w/out disconnecting the propeller shaft. Guess I'll just take my time, see if I can figure it out, and if not find a good mechanic in my area.

Ok, yeah, AWD didn't make a big difference. It went basically how Chris described for a gen1.
My write up:

Last edited:
Ok, yeah, AWD didn't make a big difference. It went basically how Chris described for a gen1.
Thanks for the update.

Back