Good car cover recommendation?

Always have heard that if you put on of those on your car when it's outside, dust from wind will work it's way in/under and over time will do more damage then good. The wind will move the cover back and fourth over the dust and essentially sand/scratch your paint. They are best if used in enclosed storage spaces. Hope that helps.

Always have heard that if you put on of those on your car when it's outside, dust from wind will work it's way in/under and over time will do more damage then good. The wind will move the cover back and fourth over the dust and essentially sand/scratch your paint. They are best if used in enclosed storage spaces. Hope that helps.

Interesting. Unfortunately I don't have a spot to keep it in an enclosed space. So you think it's better to keep outside without a cover?

do you have room for a shelter/canopy type cover?

s-l400.jpg

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

ooops, not sure if your reply above covers this or not ... so to speak

I park my car outside and want to keep it safe from the weather.

A cover would probably cause more problems than it would solve, especially in a climate like Eugene, Oregon. The primary thing you want to protect are the myriad of electrical connectors and a cover could retain moisture after a rain and increase humidity inside the cabin and under the hood when the sun comes out.

As long as you aren't parking it under a canopy of trees that shed organic matter, I wouldn't worry about it. My CX-5 was parked in a PNW rain forest a good 40% of it's life and, after over 3 years, shows no ill effects.

A cover would probably cause more problems than it would solve, especially in a climate like Eugene, Oregon. The primary thing you want to protect are the myriad of electrical connectors and a cover could retain moisture after a rain and increase humidity inside the cabin and under the hood when the sun comes out.

As long as you aren't parking it under a canopy of trees that shed organic matter, I wouldn't worry about it. My CX-5 was parked in a PNW rain forest a good 40% of it's life and, after over 3 years, shows no ill effects.

Mike,

Can you explain more as to why it would cause more problems than would do it good? I am currently living at my parents and there is no spot to park under a shed/ nor is it under trees.

Mike,

Can you explain more as to why it would cause more problems than would do it good? I am currently living at my parents and there is no spot to park under a shed/ nor is it under trees.

Trees are your car paint's worst enemy other than power lines. Tree sap and bird poop are a hassle to clean and causes paint damage. If parking outside is a must than I would locate a spot with no trees or power lines.

That said, a car cover will get dirty. The breathable fabric are a pain to wash/clean and often just remain dirty since they trap dirt on the outside and inside. I would highly consider parking in a clear spot from anything falling down. Elements like dust, dirt, rain is easy to protect from. Look into Collinite 845 wax for long term protection. This stuff is used on boats to protect against salt water and the elements. Hence its popularity in areas that use salt on roads due to snow/ice which causes salty muddy snow to get on your paint. For quick cleanups look into Optimum no rinse wash & wax which is my go to product.

Last edited:
Mike,

I already explained the primary (most serious problem) when I said "The primary thing you want to protect are the myriad of electrical connectors and a cover could retain moisture after a rain and increase humidity inside the cabin and under the hood when the sun comes out."

This is because water gets under the car cover and can't evaporate and be carried away by the breeze as easily as an uncovered car.

The secondary problem is the abrasion of the cover against the paint/headlights/taillights etc. Modern paint is really tough but the cover will add to the wear. Just wax it in the fall and don't worry about it. Hail is the one real concern and a cover won't add much protection against that.

Thanks for clarifying! So it sounds like there is clearly no benefit in wet weather, but perhaps it would be beneficial in the sun?

Thanks for clarifying! So it sounds like there is clearly no benefit in wet weather, but perhaps it would be beneficial in the sun?

Yeah, but you could also just get one of those windshield reflectors and call it good. The paint can handle it although it's a good idea to wax it occasionally to further protect from UV.

If you drive it regularly, it's a real hassle to be covering/uncovering the vehicle (not to mention that adds it's own wear in addition to wind abrasion).

I have a Noah cover and it works great. The inner material is not abrasive. As a tip, quickly clean your car first before using a cover to avoid marring.

I used a car cover for my Miata when I knew I wouldn't be driving it, especially before thunderstorms because old Miata weatherstripping tends to be less than 100% rain proof. I didn't have any ill effects, but as karimagnum said, you want the car to be clean before you put it on.

With that in mind, for a daily driver, you're better off with just waxing it occasionally to protect the paint. For sun, a sun shade will block most of the light, and you could tint your front windows if you want to go even further. There are some nearly clear tints these days that block most UV rays if you don't want darker front windows.

Trees are your car paint's worst enemy other than power lines. Tree sap and bird poop are a hassle to clean and causes paint damage. If parking outside is a must than I would locate a spot with no trees or power lines.

That said, a car cover will get dirty. The breathable fabric are a pain to wash/clean and often just remain dirty since they trap dirt on the outside and inside. I would highly consider parking in a clear spot from anything falling down. Elements like dust, dirt, rain is easy to protect from. Look into Collinite 845 wax for long term protection. This stuff is used on boats to protect against salt water and the elements. Hence its popularity in areas that use salt on roads due to snow/ice which causes salty muddy snow to get on your paint. For quick cleanups look into Optimum no rinse wash & wax which is my go to product.

i am wondering about this. i have a parking spot in the apartment i rent in a private house and unfortunately it is under a pine tree. ouch! yes it hurts alot but i have been lucky with sap so far but the needles are falling and my car is covers in them everyday now and i know the sap is coming. i dont have room for a car port. any recommendations?

i am wondering about this. i have a parking spot in the apartment i rent in a private house and unfortunately it is under a pine tree. ouch! yes it hurts alot but i have been lucky with sap so far but the needles are falling and my car is covers in them everyday now and i know the sap is coming. i dont have room for a car port. any recommendations?

Pitch is a b**** to unstick which probably makes a cover worthwhile if you can't find a better place to park. Until then, keep emptying your cabin air filter of the debris that collects on the topside. Takes 30 seconds.

Pitch is a b**** to unstick which probably makes a cover worthwhile if you can't find a better place to park. Until then, keep emptying your cabin air filter of the debris that collects on the topside. Takes 30 seconds.

On the other hand, you can leave the pine tree debris in the air filter and save money buy not having to buy one of those air fresheners!

Back