Glazed Front Brake Rotors

Panther

Zoomer not a Boomer
Contributor
:
2016 MAZDA CX-5 GT AWD with TECH PKG / i-ActivSense
Hi All,

I have a 2016 CX5-GT AWD (32,000 miles) and on a 10 day trip to the Texas Coast ( Yes we have one ;-) ) when we returned home my brakes started kind pulsing when I come to a stop. I tried to clean them with some hard stops, but nothing seemed to help. I finally took it to my Mechanic and said that the Front Rotor's were Glazed, he'd not seen that look before, and the Pads (original) still had a lot of meat left on them and were clean, nothing embedded in them. Anyway he resurfaced the Front Rotor's and put new pads on, hes said the back ones were still thick and no need.
After he resurfaced it they were back to normal.

My questions is, would or does salt spray from the Coastal Waters and Winds cause a build up on the rotors? We're going back down there soon and I was wondering if trying to keep them washed off might help prevent this from happening again. I just don't want to be replacing rotor's anytime soon.

Appreciate any thoughts or ideas? Take Care. Be Safe.

Craig

Hi Craig, looks like you’re enjoying your retirement life pretty good!

The problem you have had certainly is a weird one. Did you actually drive your CX-5 into the sea water with hot rotors? Even that, I really don’t think that would cause warped or glazed rotors, and only at front? If you want to clean the rotors which may have salt, make sure the rotors are cool and hose them with water. Some say once the rotor is warped, it’ll do it again even if you turned it. If it happens again, just get a pair of new rotors.

Hi Ray !!!

Yes, I was made for Retirement !!!

Well, on the brakes, no never have driven it into the saltwater. I kept wondering if it just sitting
out in the parking lot with the wind off of the water would salt up the rotor and make it where they'd glaze or crust up ? The Mechanic who's really good said he's never seen anything like it, and that it was like a coating almost was applied to it ? I figured there might be some of the "Northern Boy's" that would know if salt would do that since they have to mess with the White Stuff, down here in Texas we all just stay home if we see that stuff since "No One" here can drive on it. ;-)

He said he just took a minimum off and that they weren't warped but just cleaned them up.

Thanks and Take Care,

CK

Back