Getting bombarded with warranty expiration notices!

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
What's the deal with these notices??? I've received probably 8 or more different notices in the mail in the past couple of weeks. The car has about 59K miles, which means the powertrain warranty of 60K is about to end. But how could anyone possibly know?

The car is a 2014, build date January 2013. I'm not sure if the car was originally purchased in December 2013 or not, we just bought it August of this year from a Mazda dealer (2nd owner). Could this be for the original 3/36 warranty? I have not had the car anywhere in the last 4 months that would have recorded the mileage, and it had about 53K when we bought it. So there's no way anyone could know that it's about to hit 60K miles.

So I guess all these "notices" are actually extended warranty "offers". I'm guessing these are more like scams, or otherwise not worth the money. Am I right? I've never had a car with any warranty before so I don't really know what normally happens.

I figured as much. I just don't understand how they know, unless it's just the original 3/36 warranty expiring if the car was originally purchased in December 2013, even though that warranty long since expired before we bought the car. The 5/60 powertrain warranty is indeed about to expire probably before the end of the year when we hit 60K miles.

I figured as much. I just don't understand how they know, unless it's just the original 3/36 warranty expiring if the car was originally purchased in December 2013, even though that warranty long since expired before we bought the car. The 5/60 powertrain warranty is indeed about to expire probably before the end of the year when we hit 60K miles.

it's a scam, don't buy those 3rd party warranty extentions, they never payout when you need it
maybe they get info thru carfax ? not sure, but everytime you get your car inspected, the odometer is recorded. it's not very hard to get people's VIN's or dealers sell info to these warranty companies ?

We don't have state inspections anymore. Only time anyone would have recorded any mileage that would show up on a Carfax report is when I first purchased and registered the car back in August, at about 53K miles.

We don't have state inspections anymore.
Really? No more annual state inspection in Tennessee? I do believe our annual state "safety" inspection in Texas is useless and the waste of money especially for newer vehicles. It's one way to collect more money for the state and get more business for those state inspection garages.

I started getting these things in the mail within 6 months of purchasing my CX5 brand new. Into the shredder or woodstove they go!

Really? No more annual state inspection in Tennessee? I do believe our annual state "safety" inspection in Texas is useless and the waste of money especially for newer vehicles. It's one way to collect more money for the state and get more business for those state inspection garages.

Sorry, not actually in TN, we just live near Memphis. "Inspection" used to be a $5 charge paid to almost any service station where they do a visual check of lights, wipers, horn etc. and you got a windshield sticker. But that requirement was removed last year so now we have nothing annually other than license plate/registration.

I started getting these things in the mail within 6 months of purchasing my CX5 brand new. Into the shredder or woodstove they go!

It's weird because we just started getting them a couple of weeks ago, all of them saying warranty ending on a particular date in early December, but most of them all have different days on them!

Back