Getting a Miata, any tips?

Flat Black

:
2003 Protege5 - 2002 McLaren F1 -2003 Ferrari Enzo
Whats up miata freaks! I'm getting a '99 Miata on Wednesday or Thursday of the coming week, I was wondering what kind of advice you guys can give me if any. I work at the dealer so I'm getting a good deal from our Used car side, only paying around 10.5 and the car has 40k miles, with the 5-speed. We also have a 2001 silver with a buncha racing beat stuff but is an auto. SCREW THAT! I'm 6'3" and going to be rolling around in a Miata. FUN!

ive always wanted a miata, but hell im 6 foot even and i have trouble fitting into one. i cant imagine you getting into one. nice though, all that equal weight distribution. real roadster

I know, its kinda funny at 6'3" being in one, but my last daily driver was a 1st gen RX-7.

I'm 6'2" and have no trouble getting into my Miata. I can even wear a helmet with the top up, albeit a bit cramped. However, I have an M1 which have a hair more room than the M2s.

Congrats on the soon to be purchase tho. They are great cars and you will certainly enjoy it.

I'm 6'2" and have no trouble in my Miata. Avoid leather if head- and leg-room is a premium...as the seats have more padding and reduce room in both dimensions.

This is weird.

I'm ALSO 6'2" And I love my Miata. It IS a little bit tight, but not bad at all.
You can milk another 1.5-2 inches of legroom for the passenger by removing the stop under the seat. Mazda put a stop there in '94 because that's where the computer was located. Now the computer is near the driver's knees, but the stop remains. The only thing holding the stop in place is one 14mm nut. :)

Last edited:
They're really awesome cars. I'm thinking of going FI when I get the cash via a Flyin' Miata turbo system. This is also the body kits I would like to get from Garage Vary.

/members/Flat Black/1.jpg

I'm gonna have to do a body kit. The miata looks a little too cute for me. You have to understand I've got a 300zx and a 1992 MR2 plus the Speed, now the miata. Miata is to damn cute.

that is one fine looking garadge flat black! and i agree about the cute factor of the miatas, but that bodykit is alittle much for my taste. however to each his own! also, do u drive a different car for different days of the week, i know i would!

Lol, Yeah, I drive something different everyday. Working at the dealer has its advantages. I've taken your guys advice and that kit is a little out there. I saw a Bomex one I really liked, I'll have to post it to see what you guys think. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the FM turbo kits.

/members/Flat Black/ad417.jpg

/members/Flat Black/ad418.jpg

/members/Flat Black/ad419.jpg

Watch out for the 99s and the 2000s.
Have the dealer check the crankshaft endplay. If it's more than a few thousands of an inch, then have the dealer get you a new shortblock according to the TSB.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/tsb014_00r.gif

If you don't, you run the risk of your engine blowing up. Chances are that if
it's made it to 40k then you probably don't have the dreaded thrust bearing #4 problem. Doesn't hurt to check though.

having taken a trip to Flyin' Miata (and having thier turbo kit on my car) I can say you will NOT regret buying thier turbo system. Hands down the best Miata power adder on the market.

going back to the height "problem" my friend is 6-4 and drives a 69 firebird, i let him drive my car once and he really liked it. its not cramped at all, everything is within reach. and im sure youll enjoy yours. i got one word though....TURBO!, wish i had one.....

Back