Front Axles on AWD models

This is kind of a weird question, but does anyone know whether the front drive axles connect to the transaxle or the transfer case? I know on most older 4wds they connect to a front differential, but the CX-5s don't have a front differential.

Thanks! Reason I ask is, my 2016 is going to the dealer for this TSB:

Axle inner joints will be replaced, which means axles will be pulled and fluid will likely leak from either the transaxle or the transfer case. I want to check it after I get it back to make sure fluid levels are topped off.

Thanks so much!

This is kind of a weird question, but does anyone know whether the front drive axles connect to the transaxle or the transfer case? I know on most older 4wds they connect to a front differential, but the CX-5s don't have a front differential.

Thanks! Reason I ask is, my 2016 is going to the dealer for this TSB:

Axle inner joints will be replaced, which means axles will be pulled and fluid will likely leak from either the transaxle or the transfer case. I want to check it after I get it back to make sure fluid levels are topped off.

Thanks so much!
There always needs differential even at front axle in an AWD. The front differential is built inside the transmission, hence the transaxle. For the AWD on the CX-5, the front transfer case is kind of piggy-backed on the transaxle from a output shaft, and it’s a separate unit with different gear oil for lubrication. In theory pulling the front drive shaft out to change the inner joint should not lose any ATF from transaxle. But may be it’s about time for your mileage to do an ATF drain-and-fill to make sure you have enough ATF.

I have a 2016 CX-5 AWD. My powertrain warranty has run out and I hope you still have the warranty to cover this repair based on the TSB.

Mine was just bought certified pre-owned, so it is under warranty.

It's the front axles that will be pulled, not the driveshaft that goes from the transfer case to the rear differential.

So if I understand you correctly, the front axles that supply power to the 2 front wheels attach to the transaxle/transmission and not the transfer case???

Thanks for the info yrwei52

Mine was just bought certified pre-owned, so it is under warranty.

It's the front axles that will be pulled, not the driveshaft that goes from the transfer case to the rear differential.

So if I understand you correctly, the front axles that supply power to the 2 front wheels attach to the transaxle/transmission and not the transfer case???

Thanks for the info yrwei52
The front drive shaft, left or right, is the same thing as the front axle you’re referring to. Yes, both front drive shafts are coming out from transmission / transaxle, just like FWD CX-5. For AWD the transaxle has an extra output shaft, outputs the power to front transfer case which is piggy-backed to the transaxle from that extra output shaft. And the power is transferred to center driveshaft to the rear differential.

Back