From Yoko to Yoko: 17" Tire replacement review Yokohama Avid Ascend 225/65/17 102H

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
From Yoko to Yoko: 17" Tire replacement review Yokohama Avid Ascend 225/65/17 102H

After many sleepless nights regarding tire replacement, I decided on replacing the stock OEM Yokohama GEOLANDAR G91A with a tire tuned for more highway and comfort, with greater traction, and better treadwear, under 28lbs each, AND wanted to spend under $120 a tire. In the end I decided on the Yokohama AVID ASCEND 225/65/R17 102H from tire rack. Had them installed at my 22,500 mile service at the dealer. Original tires were at and wearing the wear-bars.

Original treadwear/traction/temp rating for the 225/65/R17 100H G91A was: 280 B A, 26lbs, 10/32 depth.
Replacement 225/65/R17 102H AVID Ascend tires are: 740 A A, 28lbs, 12/32 depth.

Also the tires were made (this tread size) in USA.

So far after 300 highway and city miles, there are no negatives, only positives. They are softer riding over imperfections, there is a supple rubber feel back in the suspension, highway speeds are much quieter, and traction is improved both in the wet and dry.

yo_avid_ah_pdpcrop.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah any name brand replacement tires would be better than O.E. tires on tread wear and performance.

With UTQG 280 B A your O.E. 225/65R17 100H Yokohama Geolandar G91A tires lasted only 22,500 miles? That seems pathetic ⋯

Yeah any name brand replacement tires would be better than O.E. tires on tread wear and performance.

With UTQG “280 B A” your O.E. 225/65R17 100H Yokohama Geolandar G91A tires lasted only 22,500 miles? That seems pathetic ⋯

On previous CX-5's, we got 30k from the FWD 2 liter CX5, and 22-23k each from both of the AWD 2.5's.

The old tires were all worn even and square, and had been rotated at 7500, and 15000 mile services. Early tire death for us can be attributed to very rough highways and freeways, rough city, gravel roads, high summer temperatures, driving styles of both drivers. (wrc)

That being said, I am hoping on getting over 50k from these 740 rated tires.

Last edited:

With UTQG “740 A A”, your new Yokohama AVID Ascend’s should easily last 60K+ miles! Can you smell orange oil from your new Yoko tires? :)

There’re so many good 225/65R17 tires to choose from even if you caped the price at $120. Any particular reasons you skipped better rated Continental TrueContact™ or General AltiMAX™ RT43?

With UTQG “280 B A” your O.E. 225/65R17 100H Yokohama Geolandar G91A tires lasted only 22,500 miles? That seems pathetic ⋯

I replaced my stock Yoko's at 18,500 miles. One of them had developed a sidewall bubble. And the rest? Well...they were just bad tires.

With UTQG “740 A A”, your new Yokohama AVID Ascend’s should easily last 60K+ miles! Can you smell orange oil from your new Yoko tires? :)

There’re so many good 225/65R17 tires to choose from even if you caped the price at $120. Any particular reasons you skipped better rated Continental TrueContact™ or General AltiMAX™ RT43?

No orange odors unfortunately... I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 2 you listed either. As far as why the yokohamas, I liked all the numbers on them, they were H rated, and not T rated, USA made, and I liked the orange oil aspect (I had previously had Michelin with same orange oil on my Mazda5). In fact the tread pattern was also very attractive to me for it reminded me of those same old Michelin Premacy tires. I tend to prefer the tires that have the solid center rib in the tread. (encourage)

My second choice in this instance was the Michelin Premier LTX, however they were $36 more each, and only came with 8.5/32"s tread depth, but weighed in at only 25lbs.

Last edited:
The Michelin Premier LTX has very good reviews as far as handling goes, but if you look at the consumer reviews, everyone complains about really short tread life. Starting with 8.5/32 tread depth brand new certainly doesn't help.

The Michelin Premier LTX has very good reviews as far as handling goes, but if you look at the consumer reviews, everyone complains about really short tread life. Starting with 8.5/32 tread depth brand new certainly doesn't help.
That and the price turned me off to those.

Yep I personally wont choose 225/65R17 102T Continental TrueContact tire due to its low 44 psi maximum inflation pressure and heavier at 28 lbs. Its a completely different tire comparing to its 225/55R19 99H used on CX-5 GT with 51 psi MIP and 25 lbs!

If I had a Touring Id pick 225/65R17 102H General AltiMAX RT43 which has 51 psi MIP and weights only 25 lbs.

But who knows. Orange oil may be more attractive, and I generally use Yoko tires on my Japanese vehicles until I found General AltiMAX RT43.

Yokohama said:
The AVID Ascend featuring H- or V-speed rated sizes is Yokohama's first mass-produced Grand Touring All-Season tire line in the United States using Yokohama's Orange Oil technology and branded with their BluEarth eco-friendly identification. Developed for the drivers of coupes, sedans, minivans and crossover vehicles, the AVID Ascend is designed to blend long treadwear, low rolling resistance and all-season traction, even in light snow.

Yokohama BluEarth branding is used to identify an ecologically friendly series of tires that are designed to deliver environmentally, human and socially friendly solutions for drivers and their vehicles.

Orange Oil technology uses oil extracted from renewable orange peels to improve the molecular bond between natural and synthetic rubber to enhance tire treadlife, vehicle fuel efficiency and traction in all seasons.

Just a quick update:

8 months and 13,000 miles later...

Tires are wearing evenly, have been rotated once.

I have only positives +++ to report, no negatives thus far. Road noise is great, so nice and quiet, that rear seat passengers can hear the front passengers easy now, it was a struggle before. Traction is great, wet or dry, and they handle the corners much better than the OEM ones.

So far they have been a good choice for our low rain/no snow area.

Last edited:
I have just got the same tires, for my wife's CRV. They are great. They are 75k mile warranty tires ( 740 ), the originals are probably 30k mile warranty tire ( 280 ), to feel soft and comfortable.

Just brought my 2013 CPO cx5 with 103k miles to the mechanic to fix a broken sway bar link and been driving on these tires since 30k miles no issues. Decided to replace them today with the exact same one since they treated me so well. Good selection if you are a highway driver like me. They still had life left, but mechanic said 1 was a bit balled as I was complaining about pulling to the left.... who knows it was probably in my head, but I trust him. They were getting a little dicey on snow pack, but nothing I couldnt handle with lower gearing.

Just brought my 2013 CPO cx5 with 103k miles to the mechanic to fix a broken sway bar link and been driving on these tires since 30k miles no issues. Decided to replace them today with the exact same one since they treated me so well. Good selection if you are a highway driver like me. They still had life left, but mechanic said 1 was a bit balled as I was complaining about pulling to the left.... who knows it was probably in my head, but I trust him. They were getting a little dicey on snow pack, but nothing I couldnt handle with lower gearing.

Thank you! It is great to get some long term feedback on these from you.
(hippy)

Thank you! It is great to get some long term feedback on these from you.
(hippy)

Just had my first drive today on the new ones. Feels good man. Quiet and driving true. Like a new car! I could be crazy but I think I smell the orange. Only problem now is its showing the age of the suspension.

My dad's CPO 2016 Mazda CX-5 that he bought back in July cane with these Yokohama Avid Ascends and they are a really comfortable tire. Smooth riding and quiet, and they seem to be wearing nicely. They were brand new when he bought the car and they now have about 7,000 miles on them. I'd buy another set.

Back