Fresh Sweet Donuts Everywhere! (work log)

Fresh Sweet Donuts Everywhere render brought to you by https://www.instagram.com/scuffedpixels

For those that want a render of your own, he made me the promo code "freshdonuts" to get you guys $10 off. Happy new years all!

i-PmGpsZL-X2.jpg

About 2 weeks ago, attempted to drive the msp on a few errands but the battery said nope. I picked up a NOCO GB40 booster pack that same week but it continued rain for the next 2 weeks or so. Finally had some sunshine over the weekend. Before using the booster pack, I measured my battery which read 9.65 volts haha. Hooked up the booster pack and the car started up after about 5 seconds of cranking. What a great and compact device!

Since my OEM positive battery terminal was stretched out, I ended up changing those out too. Nothing fancy, just the ones you can pick up at the store. Been meaning to change it out for a few years now but I'm a slacker. For those wondering, I just shimmed the old loose and stretched out terminal with a bent washer.

913%2BOdWA3NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

About 2 weeks ago, attempted to drive the msp on a few errands but the battery said nope. I picked up a NOCO GB40 booster pack that same week but it continued rain for the next 2 weeks or so. Finally had some sunshine over the weekend. Before using the booster pack, I measured my battery which read 9.65 volts haha. Hooked up the booster pack and the car started up after about 5 seconds of cranking. What a great and compact device!

Since my OEM positive battery terminal was stretched out, I ended up changing those out too. Nothing fancy, just the ones you can pick up at the store. Been meaning to change it out for a few years now but I'm a slacker. For those wondering, I just shimmed the old loose and stretched out terminal with a bent washer.

913%2BOdWA3NL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
NOCO GB150's are commonly used to start lots of cars in a row/without having to recharge the pack, so you've made a good choice!

Reactions: 323
My battery ended up dying so I bought a new one. Rear left caliper seized, replaced it with a cardone unit. All appears well, just haven't taken it for a spin yet.

Beware the road salt! Our car's biggest nemesis!
^^^ What He Said

On a quiet night in the winter, I can hear my car dissolving.
It's kind of a bubbling sound. Lol

(I'm kidding, but it might be true ??)

• Haha
Reactions: 323
Hibernating until 2024. It's turned into the changing station in our front yard lol. jk

Finally got a chance to finish installing all the shifter bushings. The last one was the one that connects to the trans. Went to remove my midpipe too and found what looks like chew marks on my rear o2 sensor wiring. Have a lot of squirrels running around our hood. I should have a spare from my old protege somewhere unless I donated it to the p5 I previously owned.

i-ZWg3Hnq-L.jpg

i-2fGLL8x-L.jpg

i-SSdWtsZ-L.jpg

surprisingly, i have no photos for this update. reinstalled midpipe, repaired wire on o2 sensor, and fixed a leaky oil drain fitting. thought I had another O ring laying around for the oil drain but i didn't. i did have a gasket but upon using it found that one of the holes for the bolts to go through was too small. being tight on time, i just reused the O ring this time around and added a little rtv.

despite the terrible paint, i would like to give the car a good cleaning inside and out.

Hey! I'm still alive. Guess I should post an update since it's been forever. Since becoming a father, it's been a challenge to find time to do anything without taking time off from work. Being that young children get sick often, I've been hoarding all my off time. Did switch jobs this year too so that took a lot of prep and adjustment. I always have the idea of doing car things when the boy goes to sleep at 8pm but yeah... I'm tired by then lol. Occasionally I'll hop in the car and run a few errands. Well, for a few months, I've been getting hesitation under boost but couldn't find the time to troubleshoot it. I've been trying to do these things as fast as possible on my lunch/mental breaks. Tried checking and regapping my plugs which didn't work. FINALLY, did a boost leak test and found two stupid clamps were just loose. Anyway...

Here are some recent photos on random grocery runs. Don't let the photos fool you. The paint is 100% horrible.

i-4CcC3Bc-L.jpg

i-FwWNdQb-L.jpg

And one from today where I pinpointed my boost leak. It was the two clamps on the 45 coupler next to the BOV.

i-Gs8Tr7v-L.jpg

There are a few items I'd like to eventually take care of
  • replace LCAs
  • inspect rear trailing arms and related bits to see if they need replacement
  • clean headlights
  • check if my front driver axle is broke
  • wash the damn thing
Bye!

Nice to see an MSP still running. My Protege is still running (and passes safety inspection) though I wonder back and forth if I should sell it. Every time I think I'm ready, I don't have the heart. Too many good memories with that car.

I hear ya on being a dad and not having time. Even now that our kids are older I still feel like I don't have the time or the energy to do everything to the car I want to do. I've told myself that if I do a little bit every day, I'll eventually get it all done. I'm lucky that my Protege isn't my daily anymore so I at least have the luxury of working on it a little bit at a time when I have the time.

Back