Found my all black bumper guard

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
As some of you may have followed, I was looking for an all black bumper guard that went down over the back, as seen in my pic. There's several nice ones posted here but all had some chrome which I didn't want. While not a true protector, this definitely does the job to protect against scuff and those dragged packages. It's about a 1mm rubber/vinyl with a peel off self adhesive back. Fits well and slightly flexible to countour to the shape of the horizontal to the verticle. Also wide enough to cover the lip. Without regard to the carbon fiber design it really looks like it belongs.

Shipping came about a week earlier than the early estimated date

The "CX-5" seems to be decals that can be peeled off, though my car white so it's not a huge thing, though I think I'd like it plain black - what do you think

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

IMG_20200703_142004.jpg
IMG_20200703_142001.jpg
IMG_20200703_142014.jpg
IMG_20200703_142007.jpg
IMG_20200703_142140.jpg
IMG_20200703_142120.jpg
IMG_20200703_142009.jpg

The cx5 logo looks fine as it is. If it looks like it might wear off anyway I can see why you might want to remove it now. It would look good in all black, too.

So it is a peel n stick? I guess it fits pretty tight. Might be better than foam tape.

So it is a peel n stick? I guess it fits pretty tight. Might be better than foam tape.
Yes and yes, since it's adhesive along the entire back. But it did seem like you could still pull it up if you choose

It's a little unsightly in my opinion, but if you like it, go for it! I would just leave the CX-5 on.

Have you considered a clear PPF film? They make films specifically for the purpose you describe, and it's clear (though you can still see the outline of the protector up close).

Have you considered a clear PPF film? They make films specifically for the purpose you describe, and it's clear (though you can still see the outline of the protector up close).

I found Mazda's part for the 2013-2015?

Last edited:
It's a little unsightly in my opinion, but if you like it, go for it!
Maybe it has to do with the fact it's on a white vehicle?
Black on white is definitely noticeable.
Might look better and less in-your-face on a darker colour CX-5.

Looks nice, especially on a white vehicle. Only thing that worries me is the piece that hangs over the lip on the bumper. I could see the adhesive weakening and the piece starting to come loose.

Maybe it has to do with the fact it's on a white vehicle?
Black on white is definitely noticeable.
Might look better and less in-your-face on a darker colour CX-5.

Yeah I think you're right, it's just the contrast. To be fair, it does kind of match with the black lower bumper guard, so it's already growing on me.

Hard to tell as it is garaged. That said, obviously I drive it an it could still beoutside for 4 or more hours a day. It looks like it did when I installed it 2 months ago, the part turnd downward over the back ledge of the bumper has stayed stuck too. That said, we've had 50 days of over 110 degrees and 15 days 115 or higher. So it's been fine through it all. For $26 it's really hard to go wrong. Even if it were to leave a residue upon removal I can't see where it would be hard to detail out.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I made a mistake and had the dealer put the bumper guard on for me at purchase and didn't realize until further review that the installed item does nothing to protect where the scuff is most likely to hit - on the radius.

Will this rear bumper guard fasten over the 3 chrome strips of the Std Mazda flat protector I now have or do I need to explore ways to get that existing protector off?

Thanks

Will this rear bumper guard fasten over the 3 chrome strips of the Std Mazda flat protector I now have or do I need to explore ways to get that existing protector off?

Thanks
I'm guessing it's a double sided tape you could peel off the bumper guard you have. But before you do that, please post a pic so I can better see what we're working with.

Give me until Fri evening to respond

maybe I am just looking to hard for that magical zen perfect bumper guard....still have to found one that hits all my check boxes.....maybe it is not on there.....the quest continues ...thanks all...

Installing a bumper guard does seem kind of pointless if it doesn’t cover the edge. That’s where I put the first damage into mine (I gouged it with my tape gun while taping up a few boxes out in front of the post office — oops).

Figure I’ll look into a guard once I do so much damage I can’t stand looking at my beat up bumper anymore. In the meantime, I figure I’m bound to do at least as much damage sticking something to my bumper (and then trying to remove it again) as I’ll do without it installed in the first place. Time will tell.
51061FF1-0C71-44E9-A673-EA295C3BEA69.jpeg

At least now I know to be careful.

* I’m taking the same approach with the piano black around the shifter. Once it looks terrible enough, I’ll buy one of those cover pieces.

I’m all for protecting my investment, but not so much I’m afraid to enjoy using it. I read here of people buying seat covers because they bought parchment seats and don’t want to get them dirty. So at the expense of keeping them clean, they never get to enjoy them. Reminds me of when my grandmother had hard plastic slipcovers over all her (otherwise) nice and comfy furniture and even harder plastic runners over her rugs and carpets. I mean, I’d almost understand if she only put them on when us kids were visiting; but they were there like 24-7-365. Why??

I bought a set of these to put on when I know I’ll be coming back from a hike sweaty and filthy; but otherwise, these things stay on standby in the trunk:

COOLBEBE 2 Pack Waterproof Sweat... https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

That said, I did buy nice floor liners because the cabin floor is definitely worth keeping in great shape if I decide to sell this car in a few years — but I bought the 3D MAXpider because they look nice enough I don’t really feel like I’m covering anything up. And, I bought a sweet 5-sided dog hammock because, well, leather seats, soft-touch and leather door accents ... and wet, muddy dogs. No need to be foolish.

50CBF335-9BFD-4ACB-BF1A-65DA1BE3C309.jpeg
D8DADFF3-D5B2-4537-8FFE-E79520CA7432.jpeg

Back