Forging block

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Hows it going everybody I'm getting ready to forge my block and now ready to buy the rebuild kit and theres a couple obvious brands for parts that come up for the rebuild which is arp for head stud, header studs and turbo studs. cometic for head gaskets and there other brands for other areas. I recently purchase cp 8.5.1 .020 and oliver rods for thuzil and getting ready install them. i have an msp spare long block with bad bearing these will be going into i plan to take my block with in two weeks to get machined to spec and have my crank balanced i want to buy a rebuild kit and noticed theres a couple chooses for bearings and other parts and want people opinion on quality and experience with brands

the pistons measured out but i still wanted them to get serviced and possibly coated and there are many option for that as well i want to see what people have seen best result with cryo treating or some sort of coating for the piston/rods I've seen a lot of signature sound stuff.

These are the measurements i received from the previous owner
No scoring on the rod bearing surfaces at all, original machine marks still visible. Normal wear on the piston skirts, original machine marks still visible.
Here are all of the measurements I had taken for you. They measured 3 points on the skirt to ensure it was not warped or collapsed. Rods are also straight and true.
All oil ring landing clearances are good with the installed rings.
Stock FS-DE Cylinder bore: 3.268
0.02 overbore 3.288
Desired piston diameter 3.283-3.285 (piston + 0.03-0.005 clearance)

Piston 1 Dimensions
Piston head - 3.252
Skirt point a (top) - 3.282
Skirt point b (middle) - 3.283
Skirt point c (bottom) - 3.281
Piston ring ledge side clearances
Top ring - >0.002
2nd ring- >0.002
Oil ring- >0.002
Connecting rod
Connecting rod bearing bore 1.999

Piston 2 Dimensions
Piston head - 3.249
Skirt point a (top) - 3.283
Skirt point b (middle) - 3.283
Top ring - >0.002
2nd ring- >0.002
Oil ring- >0.003
Connecting rod
Connecting rod bearing bore 2.001

Piston 3 Dimensions
Piston head - 3.250
Skirt point a (top) - 3.280
Skirt point b (middle) - 3.282
Skirt point c (bottom) - 3.283
Top ring - >0.002
2nd ring- >0.002
Oil ring- >0.002
Connecting rod
Connecting rod bearing bore 2.000

Piston 3 Dimensions
Piston head - 3.251
Skirt point a (top) - 3.280
Skirt point b (middle) - 3.282
Top ring - >0.003
2nd ring- >0.002
Oil ring- >0.002
Connecting rod
Connecting rod bearing bore 1.999

I have used KING engine bearings and ACL. But ACL is having big issues so its almost unavailable now. Pistons does not need "cryo treating", the only thing radical done to them is ceramic coatings on the crown, but this is not needed at all. Piston runs colder, the energy not stored in the piston will stay on the explosion and transferred to the walls and cooling system.

I have the same setup, CP/oliver.

2014-07-13 23.19.20.jpg

Ive had awesome luck with the Clevite 77 bearings. Used them on the last 3 motor builds, and none have had any issues.

Back