Forge Bypass Valve

ayang89

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege #1827
Thinking about buying this. Is it any good? Does it give the car a chhhhh or turkey sound? Been debating on it for awhile, wanna see what you guys think of it first.

I had mine for a years or so now and I love it ! The forge BPV is tougher than the OEM plastic one, look better under the hood and you can change the spring depending on your boost. It's still the turkey sound but louder, it's why I decided to go with the Forge. I like to see people turning there head when I'm changing gear haha

I had mine for a years or so now and I love it ! The forge BPV is tougher than the OEM plastic one, look better under the hood and you can change the spring depending on your boost. It's still the turkey sound but louder, it's why I decided to go with the Forge. I like to see people turning there head when I'm changing gear haha

You have this one correct?

https://www.speedcircuit.net/index....torsport-bypass-valve-mazdaspeed-protege.html

My stock one makes a wuush sound or turkey sound sometimes. But isn't that because of a air not going through the system properly? I thought the stock bpv doesn't make any sound.

yes, the turkey sound is from air trying to exit the turbo inlet (compressor surge). Reconfiguring your bpv setup will fix it.

Reconfiguring the bpv? Meaning if I get that forge bpv, it will fix my current problem with my stock bpv doing that?

Reconfiguring the bpv? Meaning if I get that forge bpv, it will fix my current problem with my stock bpv doing that?

you can fix it using the stock bpv. All i did was made the diameter of the piping that goes to the bpv larger and the hose routing shorter. I'm using a stock bpv with no compressor surge. The only real benefit of the forge bpv is that it will outlast the stock one and the diaphragm is serviceable/replaceable.

OP: Its not compressor surge. If your OEM BPV is holding boost then you don't need to replace it. The flutter is there and only amplified if you run a CAI or SRI.
My OEM turbo, BPV and WGA have almost 117,000 miles on them. You probably want a BOV since sound seems to be of some importance to you.

OP: Its not compressor surge. If your OEM BPV is holding boost then you don't need to replace it. The flutter is there and only amplified if you run a CAI or SRI.
My OEM turbo, BPV and WGA have almost 117,000 miles on them. You probably want a BOV since sound seems to be of some importance to you.

Well that's the thing. My car isn't holding boost properly. Sometimes it'll boost to 7 at full throttle then go down to 6 then 5. Or sometimes It wont even boost past 5. My MSP just hit 117,2xx. I'm guessing it was my bpv because of that. But at half throttle my car feels fine. But a full throttle it hesitates at 4-5 for a few seconds,jumps to 6 for a second then back up down. Feels like a fuel cut or not enough air because of the surge is what I thought. I may be wrong? Maybe its my wastegate?

you can fix it using the stock bpv. All i did was made the diameter of the piping that goes to the bpv larger and the hose routing shorter. I'm using a stock bpv with no compressor surge. The only real benefit of the forge bpv is that it will outlast the stock one and the diaphragm is serviceable/replaceable.

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of this would you? Curious as to how it looks like.

It's probably the wastegate causing your boost issues and/or a boost leak. Hesitation is normal on the stock tune but make sure the car is tuned up and running properly ie. new plugs, no vac leaks or other problems. Really you should upgrade the intercooler and piping, install an aftermarket BOV and relocate the MAF sensor. Anyone that is 'serious' about their MSP ditches the SMIC setup asap.

It's probably the wastegate causing your boost issues and/or a boost leak. Hesitation is normal on the stock tune but make sure the car is tuned up and running properly ie. new plugs, no vac leaks or other problems. Really you should upgrade the intercooler and piping, install an aftermarket BOV and relocate the MAF sensor. Anyone that is 'serious' about their MSP ditches the SMIC setup asap.

I still got the factory piping. Been trying to find a good deal on hard pipes. Haven't found any so far.

At 117K I'll bet it's the WGA acting up. Mine went out at under 70k. Pretty cheap, but a beeyotch to replace. Might be easier to have a mechanic to put it in for ya.

ATP 6psi (stock replacement) is the one that I got.

Here: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-011B&Category_Code=VMSP

EDIT: Also, WeaponR seems to be the only game in town for hardpipes these days.

Alright cool. Does it hold more boost? Like if I wanted to go to 8 with supporting mods? What if I just unbolted the intake pipes and pulled off the whole manifold and turbo to do it?

I'd get accosted my the smog Nazis if I put in an FMIC. I had a cop argue with me over the fricken taillights on my RX-7. He wouldn't believe that I didn't nightshade em.
They're pretty bad/attentive in the Bay Area

..And yeah, check out ATP's site too if you feel like it. They definitely make adjustable WGAs. I just got the model that replaces the stock one because I don't plan on modding my MSP at all. It's the DD

Here's the bone-stock taillights on my car if anyone is curious:
http://www.mazdas247.com/members/Natey/RX-7/FD.may13.b.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: '99 spec, but the shade is stock. The only difference is the newer ones were painted to look like 3 separate lights.
I'm just stoked the guy didn't get a Forge wastegate and have it die in a year.

Last edited:
The ATP usually runs 8-9lbs vs the stock 6-7lbs. You can pull the turbo to install it but it isn't necessary. For hard pipes most everyone does the ebay FMIC route, it's the cheapest and easiest way to do it. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123759220-How-To-Ebay-FMIC

Alright cool. I've been looking on ebay for some fmic kits. The ones from cxracing are friggin ridiculous expensive. So i found these

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Thanks again for the link on the how to install. Gonna need it soon!

You wouldn't happen to have a photo of this would you? Curious as to how it looks like.

here's my most recent photo.

oBZ4bM0.jpg

the bpv goes directly from the hot pipe back into the intake.

and unless you're planning on cutting your bumper or crashbar i'd get an intercooler no taller than 5.5". Also that knock off hks ssqv will probably cause some compressor surge since there's no way to adjust the spring tension on it.

here's my most recent photo.

oBZ4bM0.jpg

the bpv goes directly from the hot pipe back into the intake.

and unless you're planning on cutting your bumper or crashbar i'd get an intercooler no taller than 5.5". Also that knock off hks ssqv will probably cause some compressor surge since there's no way to adjust the spring tension on it.

I have a real hks bpv that's just sitting in my garage. I'm thinking about the the kit with the fake hks ssqv just because the pipes are smaller and in more pieces rather then the other one where I would probably have to cut it.

Back