Off Topic Forester XT work log

Got the springs and struts installed. I'll grab a pic later on a test drive. Crossing my fingers for no random clunks!

(1) KYB 334343 Strut, Front Left
(1) KYB 334342 Strut, Front Right
(1) KYB 334345 Strut, Rear Left
(1) KYB 334344 Strut, Rear Right
(2) KYB SM5361 Strut Mount, Front
(2) KYB SM5422 Strut Mount, Left
(2) KYB SB103 Strut Bellow, Front
(2) MOOG K90461 Strut Bellow, Rear
(2) MONROE 902008 Coil Spring Seat, Front
(2) MONROE 902072 Coil Spring Seat, Rear

Last edited:
Went to grab some groceries for lunch. Looks like the springs settled after some driving around. Good news, no clunks!

Some before and after action. Measurements are from middle of fender to the ground. I'll measure it again in a few days.

Before: 28 3/4" front, 28 7/8" rear
After: 27 3/4" front, 28" rear

bC3G8WG-0%21sizeoriginal-XL.jpg

IMG_0013-XL.jpg

While under the car, I noticed I should take care of the rear differential bushings soon. Will do some research and see if inserts are available since the current bushings aren't torn.

Yeah, the Forester specific Swift springs are only a 1.6”/1.0” drop. The wrx/sti springs are 2.5 to 3.0” which I didn’t want. The Swift springs ride really well.

The passenger side rear sway bar bracket and mount I ordered came in a couple days ago. I'll try to make time and install that thing soon after some other chores. I did have to revisit the coolant leak again from the same clamp. Managed to catch it on the same day it started leaking and tightened it up for the time being while t-bolt clamps were in the mail. Installed the clamps today which solved the issue. Funny, I got the clamp on without even putting the nut on yet and the coolant stopped dribbling out. Old worm clamp felt cheap and appeared twisted.

Here's Forester #3 with Forester #2. @Ceej007, Forester #2 has Impreza STI pink springs on KYB AGX struts. It can get bouncy but it's no where as harsh as coilovers can be.

IMG_0072-XL.jpg

Checked my oil over the weekend and looked around the engine bay and noticed I don't have a battery tie down. Found one from the parts stash and prepped it for painting. Doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to not rust anymore lol. Will wire brush it more before painting begins.

IMG_0132-L.jpg

IMG_0133-L.jpg

In other news, I've been researching brake pads and think I've decided on either EBC red stuff or Hawk HPS 5.0 pads with Centric blank rotors. Both appear to have positive reviews.

Found and ordered the J bolts from advance auto. I'll be picking those up later today.

Finally opened up my package for the rear sway bar bracket and mount.

IMG_0313-XL.jpg

Got the battery tie down painted and drying. Not sure why but after applying the clearcoat it started drying with a wrinkle finish. Never had this happen before but oh well. First photo is before clearcoat. Aiming to install it next week which should give it plenty of time to dry and cure in this cooler weather. Added some items on my to do list for maintenance. Not in a big rush but I'd like to tackle changing ATF and diff fluids. From my research, the go to for ATF seems to be either Mobil1 or Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Diff fluid, I'll stick to the OEM Subaru fluid.

IMG_0144-XL.jpg

IMG_0151-L.jpg

During the 400+ mile trip over the weekend, found the car had a shake that resembled an out of balance tire but it did it sporadically. It also pulled to one side pretty randomly too, no rhyme or reason. Yesterday, I ended up taking the front brakes apart, cleaned all the components and lubed it up with the proper brake lubricant. Brakes didn't look bad when I took them apart but it did have a lot of old dried up lube caked up everywhere. Pads are wearing evenly with plenty of life left. Took it for a drive at highway speeds and no more shake at all. Pull is gone and steering wheel is straighter than before. Yay.

A little gusset experimentation on break today. This platform is notorious for worn out gussets that cause a lot of wind noise while driving. Usually, they can be bent back to stop wind noise. Haven't taken it for a spin yet.

Before, during, and after.

IMG_0233-XL.jpg

IMG_0236-XL.jpg

IMG_0237-XL.jpg

You going to update the rims?

I’m saving that for when I need new tires which will be a while since these tires still look good. I haven’t really seen a wheel that I’m too crazy about just yet either.

For today's project, removing the rear sway bar and installing the STI one! Started taking stuff off on my lunch break. Only thing that didn't want to come off were the end links, the usual story.

OEM bar vs STi bar.
IMG_0316_HEIC-XL.jpg

Got the new bar on pretty easily. Thankfully the seller included some end links for cheap because I needed them.
IMG_0528-XL.jpg

IMG_0530-XL.jpg

Car says it feels funny. Why does my rear end feel tighter? 😂
IMG_0522-XL.jpg

And of course......
IMG_0535-XL.jpg

Installed an ADF lateral link bracing kit which can be found here, 2003-2008 Subaru Forester Lateral Link Brace Kit. There's been experiences where rear sway bar upgrades would break the lateral link tab where the endlink mounts to. Based on my setup, the chances are low but for $40, it offered me some peace of mind.

The install wasn't plug and play. My kit didn't come with nuts for some reason but luckily I have plenty of spares. A couple holes needed to be filed open so that the brackets could sit flush with the lateral link tab and allow bolts through without snagging. After attempting to install one side, I found the bottom bracket does not sit flush to the top bracket so I ended up using some washers to shim it so they would mount up properly. Not complaining about any of it but just sharing my experience with the install. The brackets are definitely well built and coated well. Overall, pretty happy with the outcome. It just took a little extra work.🙂

Oh yeah, and I filled my rear diff bushings and let it sit and cure for 4 days.

IMG_0562-XL.jpg

IMG_0567-XL.jpg

IMG_0568-XL.jpg

IMG_0569-XL.jpg

Installed a Megan Racing rear upper strut bar today and it may be a while before I get to tinker again. Long story short, I got curious and wanted to check something on the wife's forester and went to pull a plastic panel and hurt my finger. Long story short, when the panel popped open, I think it Bruce Lee kicked my finger and messed up my nail. Looks like the nail might fall off which will be my first time experiencing this.

Install is straight forward and as everyone has reported, you have to open up the bolt holes a bit for it to fit on the forester. Tried using a file at first but it was going too slow so I resorted to the drill. Didn't get to trim and reinstall the plastic covers today.

No fancy camera photos today since I hurt my finger.

IMG_0448-XL.jpg

IMG_0449-XL.jpg

IMG_0452-XL.jpg

Nice Forester!
I had a 2005 FXT with a 5spd several years ago. I still miss that car! It was the best daily driver! It was fun to surprise other cars. 0-60 is 5.5secs because they have 4.44 gears!

Thanks! Yeah they’re pretty peppy. I have the automatic though but still plenty peppy for me as a daily.

Back