For any of you looking to upgrade your front sway bars.

SayNoToPistons

Wheels, not rims...
:
CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech, RX-8 GT 6spd w/ 'goodies'
As we all know, the 2014+ Mazda6 and the 2013+ CX-5 shares the same architecture and underpinnings. The front sway bars can be swapped. The Mazda6 uses a stiffer sway bar, so for those looking to have an EASY and accessible upgrade (dealer item), here's some news for you. No need to exchange drop links as they are identical.

2.5 and 2.2 D Mazda 6 uses larger Front Bar: Part# GHT6-34-151

2.0 Mazda 6 (not avail in North America) uses 2.5 CX-5 Front Bar KD61-34-151

2.0 CX-5 uses a smaller again Front Bar KD35-34-151

As you can tell, the 2.0 CX-5 uses the softest sway bar of all. So for the 2.0, the 2.5 sway bar would technically be an "upgrade". Though nothing close to the benefits from jumping to the Mazda6 sway bar.

that is great info, is the Rear the same? or different? I want bigger rear also.

also need bushing p/n since the increase in diam. I am assuming same bracket will work.

thanks

Yes new bushings are necessary. I'll try to get the Mazda6 part number for that. Waiting on news for the rear sway bars. Not sure if the rear subframe of the CX-5 is too different from the Mazda6.

So your saying that the 2014 MZ6 sway is better than my 2.5L 2014 CX-5's?

Last edited:
That is subjective. If that question was asked in the orientation of performance, then yes.

Do you have to have the diameters of all the sway bars in question to see the differences?

Last edited:
Rear sways are actually the same. 2.5 CX-5 is only 1mm bigger front than the 2.0 (23mm vs 22mm). I am unsure about the 2.5 Mazda6's dia as of now.

Sources say:

No variety for Rear Sways, except they are different or each model, I assume the rear
6 will fit on a CX-5 but cant confirm, CX-5 has one for 2WD and one for 4WD.

An interesting observation is the REAR Bars on the CX-5 and 6 looks similar in design to the Fronts on RX-8 and Miata, and the REAR Bars on the RX-8 and Miata looks similar to the Fronts on CX-5 and 6.

With that said, when it gets warmer, I shall do a direct comparison with my RX-8 sways VS the 2.0 CX-5's. If they are interchangeable, that means A WHOLE LOT of options of sways can be used for the CX-5 and MZ6. But for now, hang tight.

the miata front are straight in the mid section, CX5 has a mild bend, I thought they were the same also. but I should have gotten a ruler out and measure the length. I have time tomorrow I'll get under the car and take a closer look and measure my RB's miata sway to see if they are similar.

did check, CX5 rear had a slight bend at the bushing mount, Miata is straight.

Last edited:
sway bars are a great upgrade. i had installed bigger sways in my old mazda3 and it completely changed the way it drove. but not sure if i would do it for the cx-5. i just don't throw this car around corners anymore

If anyone actually does it, please post pictures!

I don't think they have the parts in yet, since M6 just came out. I just want the rear for now if it is bigger. maybe the fronts later. looking at the rear it should be a easy swap, if it is hard to come out just drop the shocks.

If you just stiffen the front and do nothing to the back, you will increase understeer. To some extent that could be compensated by decreasing rear tire pressure relative to front. Do you find the stock CX-5 to sway excessively? Mine feels pretty flat through corners, for an SUV anyway.

Last edited:
To some extent that could be compensated by increasing rear tire pressure relative to front.

Good point. But of course adjusting front to rear tire pressure differential is only a solution for FWD models.

Changing tire pressure differential affects understeer/oversteer balance regardless of fwd or rwd. If you are talking about fwd vs awd, now there is something I never thought about, that the rules would be different, but maybe they are? I haven't researched that. In hard cornering on dry pavement, would the rear drive kick in? If it didn't, then the fwd rules apply. If it did, that would tend to increase rear traction, which I would think would make the understeer even worse, since understeer is a condition in which the front is already not getting enough traction relative to the rear.... This is a question for a rally driver I guess.
In any case I needed to go back and correct my original post--decreasing rear pressure relative to front will reduce understeer, not the opposite as I originally stated, sorry.

If you are talking about fwd vs awd, now there is something I never thought about, that the rules would be different, but maybe they are? I haven't researched that. In hard cornering on dry pavement, would the rear drive kick in? If it didn't, then the fwd rules apply. If it did, that would tend to increase rear traction, which I would think would make the understeer even worse, since understeer is a condition in which the front is already not getting enough traction relative to the rear....

With conventional 4WD vehicles it's imperative to keep the front and back wheels the same diameter to prevent undue stresses on the transmission. Adjusting pressures differently front to back is not recommended. I doubt the electronic nature of the CX-5's AWD negates this. And different pressures do impact the effective diameter of the tire.

With conventional 4WD vehicles it's imperative to keep the front and back wheels the same diameter to prevent undue stresses on the transmission. Adjusting pressures differently front to back is not recommended. I doubt the electronic nature of the CX-5's AWD negates this. And different pressures do impact the effective diameter of the tire.

That makes sense, I never thought of it. That's why Jeep says make all four tires the same pressure. Good to know.

So then we're back to, if you stiffen the front end and don't do anything to the back, it's gonna change the handling characteristics of the vehicle.

Old Thread Revival

Rear sways are actually the same. 2.5 CX-5 is only 1mm bigger front than the 2.0 (23mm vs 22mm)when it gets warmer, I shall do a direct comparison with my RX-8 sways VS the 2.0 CX-5's. If they are interchangeable, that means A WHOLE LOT of options of sways can be used for the CX-5 and MZ6. But for now, hang tight.

Pistons, any updates on this ??

I haven't bothered to put both up on stands... I'll be doing it soon though. Before December.

sway bars are a great upgrade. i had installed bigger sways in my old mazda3 and it completely changed the way it drove. but not sure if i would do it for the cx-5. i just don't throw this car around corners anymore

They are also great in emergencies when you have to swerve to avoid some idiot or swerve and brake or who knows what. Well, that's here in Metro Dc....gotta keep your eyes peeled, always. Sucks to ride my bike around here to. I go straight to WV to ride.

Back