Flat tire

:
2018 CX-5 Touring AWD
Where do you send your tires to be fixed? Does Costco do that? Go with them? Avoid? Interested to hear your comments. Thanks.

Define *fixed*. If you just have a nail or something in the tread, and need it patched, then any tire place will do it. I think the Goodyear place near me does it free. However, most legit places won*t plug, and they won*t do it on the sidewall or if the puncture is between the sidewall and the nearest groove. If you want to plug it, you can buy kits and do that yourself.

Define *fixed*. If you just have a nail or something in the tread, and need it patched, then any tire place will do it. I think the Goodyear place near me does it free. However, most legit places won*t plug, and they won*t do it on the sidewall or if the puncture is between the sidewall and the nearest groove. If you want to plug it, you can buy kits and do that yourself.
Honestly, I dont know what happened. I checked it and I didnt see anything. Ill take it to a place near my house.

So, I was told that it couldnt be fixed. I may have been driving with a nail in it but the problem didnt manifest till yesterday. I need a new tire. Get one from Mazda or go with the best deal?

Since it was mentioned, Costco won't work on tires that they didn't sell/install. On those they include a 5 yr road hazard warranty so they'll fix or replace if necessary.

I go to American Tires. They fix flat tires for free.
Just got a nail. To be safe, I did not pull it out in my garage.
I went there, and the adviser was always kind and helpful. They pulled it out (about 1cm long "+" head screw).
No leak. It was within 2" from the edge (unfixable). So, I need to keep watching it from now on. No charge from them.
Last time, they fixed it for free. Lots of construction going on now on my commute routes.....

I just order tires from Tire Rack. I*ve never gotten any tires from a dealer. I*d think they would be higher priced there.

American Tires does match price from TireRack.com.
Besides, you need to have someone local to install them....

I bought at least 6 sets of tires from TireRack.com so far.
If American Tires match the deal, usually I would go with them.
Save some troubles.

Costco has good deals, but the selection is limited.
I am picky about tires.

So, I was told that it couldnt be fixed. I may have been driving with a nail in it but the problem didnt manifest till yesterday. I need a new tire. Get one from Mazda or go with the best deal?
Your TPMS is pretty sensitive and you should see TPMS warning light pretty quick after any of your tires got a nail. I wonder why you didnt see the warning before its too late?

Honestly, Id take damaged tire to Americas Tire to have a second opinion. If they think its fixable, theyll fix it for free.

Your 2018 CX-5 Touring AWD has 225/55R19 tires. How many miles on your un-fixable tire? If you still have plenty of tread left, you may consider to get one OE Toyo A36 tire, and shave the tread to similar tread depth like others. Americas Tire in your area can order the Toyo tire for you and do the rest.

Dont go to your Mazda dealer for tire service.

If your tires have less than 4/32 tread depth left, you should consider to get a set of new tires. Heres a tread with plenty of info for your tire needs:

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

American Tires does match price from TireRack.com.
Besides, you need to have someone local to install them....

I bought at least 6 sets of tires from TireRack.com so far.
If American Tires match the deal, usually I would go with them.
Save some troubles.

Costco has good deals, but the selection is limited.
I am picky about tires.
Thumb up to Americas Tire (in Bay Area, Discount Tire Store in Texas) too! And I did exactly the same, using only Discount Tire for any tire purchases and services. Its nice to get credit from unused miles from mileage warranty and apply to new tire purchase. The nationwide network is very convenient too.

Wife had nails on 2 stock Toyo A23 tires then another in 3 days, all got fixed by Discount Tire for free! I did have her asking the tech to mark the tire position so that the tire re-balancing after tire repair was not needed as the tire needs to be off the wheel to patch the hole inside.

Your TPMS is pretty sensitive and you should see TPMS warning light pretty quick after any of your tires got a nail. I wonder why you didnt see the warning before its too late?
I swear that light didnt come on till yesterday when I was already on my way home.

Honestly, Id take damaged tire to Americas Tire to have a second opinion. If they think its fixable, theyll fix it for free.
I took it there. They did not offer to fix it. They said I needed a new tire.

Your 2018 CX-5 Touring AWD has 225/55R19 tires. How many miles on your un-fixable tire?
If you still have plenty of tread left, you may consider to get one OE Toyo A36 tire, and shave the tread to similar tread depth like others. Americas Tire in your area can order the Toyo tire for you and do the rest.
Americas tire have the Toyo in stock. They quoted me for the one tire only, not 4. They didnt say I needed (rather, that I should) all 4 replaced.

Dont go to your Mazda dealer for tire service.
I wont.

If it was me, I would buy two Toyos. Have the America's Tire guy determine which of your three remaining tires is most worn and replace that one. Then put the two new tires on the rear.

Last edited:
If it was me, I would buy two Toyos. Have the America's Tire guy determine which of your three remaining tires is most worn and replace that one. Then put the two new tires on the rear.

Can't do that on an AWD system if there's too much variance in tread depth between all four tires, you'll burn out the system. Best thing to do is get a shaved tire from Tire Rack (been there, done that) or four new tires. O/P, I'm guessing there's a sidewall leak or a leak near the edge of the tread that's preventing a fix?

Last edited:

Why on the rear? If it was FWD, I'd put two new ones on the front, not the rear.

Why on the rear? If it was FWD, I'd put two new ones on the front, not the rear.

Every professional recommendation that I've seen states to put the newest/best tires on the rear; regardless of drive wheels.
Quote from Tire Rack:

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front.
New tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.

Back