Fitted cargo liners, does the lip along the back seat crush flat eventually?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Have any of you found that the lip on the custom fit liners, which I do like, would get smooshed if you fold he back seat down and have to lay something flat/heavy across the trunk and folded down seats? Without regard to the brand, isn't this going to get smooshed eventually?
InkedMAZD_CX5_17_40991_LI.jpg

Last edited:
It's a d*mned if do, d*mned if you don't so far as putting lips on those things. I bought that same WeatherTech as well as their laser cuts for the front seats specifically because of the lips. The lips do a better job of keeping snow melt, mud, liquids of any kind off the carpets or the seat backs/side fabric in the back. Personally, if I have that kind of hauling to do I use the Sienna.

If you're really worried about it, you could do something like cutting a couple of 2x2's to length, one butting up against the lip and one further into the trunk so the thing you are packing doesn't rock. Personally. I'd just keep them in the garage for when needed. If I was in the mood at some point I might paint the lumber to match the carpet.

I'm surprised manufacturer's, especially WeatherTech, haven't thought of molding in "accordion pleat" sections in the front corners so that lip can fold down flat but still be leak-proof when upright.

If you're really worried about it, you could do something like cutting a couple of 2x2's to length, one butting up against the lip
That's a great idea. For now I have one of those $18 trim fit types. It's fairly anti-slip, and I cut it about 1.5 inches wider and longer so it curves up the sides. Working out fairly well actually
IMG_20200830_212309.jpg

Have any of you found that the lip on the custom fit liners, which I do like, would get smooshed if you fold he back seat down and have to lay something flat/heavy across the trunk and folded down seats? Without regard to the brand, isn't this going to get smooshed eventually?View attachment 226725

The rear seats don’t fold flat, so I don’t think a small lip will be a problem. Just came back from Lowe’s with a few 6’ x 18” x 3/4” spruce/pine/fir edge-glued boards ... the lip at the tailgate side was convenient to hold the boards in place, against the front passenger seat (with the box from my covercraft sun shade to protect the back of the seat). The lip behind the seats isn’t an issue, as the boards didn’t touch it.

Back