First Time Mazda Owner Question For Long Time Owners

OP is asking about current Skyactiv vehicles dating back to 2012-2013. We have a full 8 years of forum, articles, and our real life experiences now. I'll just cover the gas engine.

Skyactiv Gas Engine: The skyactiv gas engine is known to be a quality and reliable engine. Designed in house and made in Japan. NGK/Denso spark plugs, Tokyo Roki oil filter, factory idemitsu molly oil, 4-2-1 exhaust system, stock cold air system. Mazda was the first to offer such a high compression engine for its mainstream vehicles. The engine was well thought of, engineered, and forced the likes of Honda and Toyota to increase the compression of their engines (to improve power and mpgs). This engine is not known to cause fuel dilution nor oil consumption on a wide scale. Low incidence of engine failure. Receptive support from Mazda USA for power-train warranties. We're starting to get more people in the 150k-200k mile club. Skyactiv turbo engines came later on and complimented the engine lineup well. Others with experience on the turbo engines may feel free to step in.

-The Skyactiv gas and gas turbo engines have been winners on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list.
-Scotty Kilmer Approved:)
-Low maintenance
-Bullet Proof reliability

Weaknesses: The fluid filled tensioner (many Toyota engines has the same part and issue) in the drive belt system may leak and may need to be replaced as low as 30k miles for some people. Some owners reported weepage on engine gaskets.

Transmission: Made in Japan Aisin 6-speed transmission. Aisin is 51% owned by Toyota and yes Aisin is used by Toyota duh! Aisin's 6-speed transmissions are reliable. It can withstand a healthy dose of torque (looking at you Honda CVT) while operating smoothly (looking at you VW DSG). Hard to find a more bullet proof automatic transmission. Technically Mazda's FW6A-EL is based on the Aisin AW6A-EL transmission but with their own slight modifications to better pair with the Skyactive engine. I've read articles and watched vids from transmission re-builders whom study its internal parts and they have positive things to say. I do notice the availability of parts/manuals/kits to do a repairs or rebuilds. This is good news for those whom want to own a Skyactiv vehicle past 200k miles and into the 300k+ territory.

Weaknesses: Some Skyactiv owners reported leakage/weepage leading to warranty work.

Conclusion: Reliable.

OP is asking about current Skyactiv vehicles dating back to 2012-2013. We have a full 8 years of forum, articles, and our real life experiences now. I'll just cover the gas engine.

Skyactiv Gas Engine: The skyactiv gas engine is known to be a quality and reliable engine. Designed in house and made in Japan. NGK/Denso spark plugs, Tokyo Roki oil filter, factory idemitsu molly oil, 4-2-1 exhaust system, stock cold air system. Mazda was the first to offer such a high compression engine for its mainstream vehicles. The engine was well thought of, engineered, and forced the likes of Honda and Toyota to increase the compression of their engines (to improve power and mpgs). This engine is not known to cause fuel dilution nor oil consumption on a wide scale. Low incidence of engine failure. Receptive support from Mazda USA for power-train warranties. We're starting to get more people in the 150k-200k mile club. Skyactiv turbo engines came later on and complimented the engine lineup well. Others with experience on the turbo engines may feel free to step in.

-The Skyactiv gas and gas turbo engines have been winners on the Ward's 10 Best Engines list.
-Scotty Kilmer Approved:)
-Low maintenance
-Bullet Proof reliability

Weaknesses: The fluid filled tensioner (many Toyota engines has the same part and issue) in the drive belt system may leak and may need to be replaced as low as 30k miles for some people. Some owners reported weepage on engine gaskets.

Transmission: Made in Japan Aisin 6-speed transmission. Aisin is 51% owned by Toyota and yes Aisin is used by Toyota duh! Aisin's 6-speed transmissions are reliable. It can withstand a healthy dose of torque (looking at you Honda CVT) while operating smoothly (looking at you VW DSG). Hard to find a more bullet proof automatic transmission. Technically Mazda's FW6A-EL is based on the Aisin AW6A-EL transmission but with their own slight modifications to better pair with the Skyactive engine. I've read articles and watched vids from transmission re-builders whom study its internal parts and they have positive things to say. I do notice the availability of parts/manuals/kits to do a repairs or rebuilds. This is good news for those whom want to own a Skyactiv vehicle past 200k miles and into the 300k+ territory.

Weaknesses: Some Skyactiv owners reported leakage/weepage leading to warranty work.

Conclusion: Reliable.

Nice

just sold my 2008 3-hatchback SGT with 180,000 miles on it. Most reliable vehicle i've ever owned...
('89 jimmy, '99 buick century, '04 neon, '04 colorado '11 Cx7)

anyway... anything it ever needed was standard maintenance on a late schedule. Still had the original serpentine!

spark plugs, struts, shocks, springs, brakes, misc tie rod ends etc.... rubber in MN has a tough life. The 2.3L is a bulletproof engine. The 5 speed automatic was never a problem either, but really could've used another gear for the freeway.

Last year we donated our 15-year-old 2004 Mazda 3, in great running condition to charity. It survived 3 teen drivers and went away to college with one of them! I really miss “Max” 😢

They're okay. Not a nightmare, but plan on several thousand every 100k miles or so if you didnt step up with the bumper to bumper extended warranty, has been my experience. I'd say I rate it as pretty okay, lol.

They're okay. Not a nightmare, but plan on several thousand every 100k miles or so if you didnt step up with the bumper to bumper extended warranty, has been my experience. I'd say I rate it as pretty okay, lol.

If I’m able I will be ready for a new one. But that depends on how worry free it remains.
since I don’t have much of a commute any longer it will be a while.
As long it doesn’t break the bank thanks, thanks everyone(y)

Back