First oil change notification

:
2019 CX-5 White Pearl Sig
Got the wrench icon and notice of an oil change needed for the first time. The car is 10 months old and has 4200 miles. There's nothing in the service manual related to regular service at such short intervals and I'm wondering if the MMI is set to trip the oil change notice early the first time for break-in reasons? My driving is mostly on rural roads for 20 miles with no stops so it isn't like I fall into the severe driving category. The only other thing I can think of is the MMI is estimating my low miles vs. months so it started the 600 mile service countdown knowing that the 12 month service interval would come before 7500 miles. Has anybody else experienced an early service notice?

I plan on doing my own oil changes and tire rotations at 5K miles for ease of memory. I thought that was on the early side of routine maintenance but it looks like I'll be a couple-hundred miles late on the first one.

There have been a ton of threads and discussions on here about when to do the first oil change.
Opinions vary wildly, from those that say change it out early so as to get rid of any break-in debris, to those that say let it run out to the first recommended interval.
Personally, I'm in the former group: change it out early and get rid of the break-in oil and debris.
Every vehicle that I have done this with has gone on to run just fine for many years with no oil leaks or burning.
I changed the oil in my new 6 after 3 months at about 4,000 kms (about 2,500 miles).
Changed it again at 11,000 kms (about 6,600 miles).
At the end of the day, do what you're comfortable with.

I think you have a 2019 with the turbo.
The oil change indicator (the wrench) warning comes on with 1000 km or 600 miles left until the change is recommended.
You should also confirm that the oil change interval is set to Flexible in order that you get the algorithm driven oil change interval. Other settings use a specified miles / km.
Assuming your car is set to flexible: It possible that with the turbo engine, 10 months and 4200 miles the algorithm anticipates needing an oil change within 600 miles.

Recommended oil change time interval is a maximum of 12 months. On a new car, the time starts on the manufacturing date, not the purchase date. Check the date on the door piler.

Hadn't thought about the date of manufacture which on mine is 11/2018. If the service icon illumination is based off the dom it gave me 14 months. Doesn't matter too much to me if I'm slightly over or under, I'll stick with something close to 5K intervals regardless of time. That being said, Buzzman gave me the incentive to knock this first one out sooner so this one is getting done at 4500 miles. I'll add a couple hundred to the next two so it'll be closer to 5K increments and easier for me to remember.

For myself I do the first two oil changes early. The first change had a lot of metal particles in the filter, there was even a fine thread from something. The 2nd change much fewer particles. The filter does catch the particles, so it is fine to go longer on the first oil change. It is mostly personal preference.

Recommended oil change time interval is a maximum of 12 months. On a new car, the time starts on the manufacturing date, not the purchase date. Check the date on the door piler.
That’s true, but sometimes Mazda dealer could reset the default Flexible OCI during new vehicle check-up, to make the oil change calculation starts over again.

Hadn't thought about the date of manufacture which on mine is 11/2018. If the service icon illumination is based off the dom it gave me 14 months. Doesn't matter too much to me if I'm slightly over or under, I'll stick with something close to 5K intervals regardless of time. That being said, Buzzman gave me the incentive to knock this first one out sooner so this one is getting done at 4500 miles. I'll add a couple hundred to the next two so it'll be closer to 5K increments and easier for me to remember.
Can you verify the oil change of your Maintenance Monitor is set to Flexible? If it’s, then your oil change notification at 10 months and 4,200 miles is normal as the calculation has met the oil change requirement based on your driving conditions.

For myself I do the first two oil changes early. The first change had a lot of metal particles in the filter, there was even a fine thread from something. The 2nd change much fewer particles. The filter does catch the particles, so it is fine to go longer on the first oil change. It is mostly personal preference.
Exactly. Early first oil change is not necessary In spite of some metal particles from a new engine because we have something in the engine lubrication system called oil filter.

Can you verify the oil change of your Maintenance Monitor is set to Flexible? If it’s, then your oil change notification at 10 months and 4,200 miles is normal as the calculation has met the oil change requirement based on your driving conditions.

Yeah, I checked and it's on Flexible schedule. Adding my current odometer reading and the remainder of the 600 mile service notice puts the mileage at 4887. That seems low considering my mostly rural driving and just occasional matting of the go pedal. My combined mpg, averaged from day one, is at 26.2 which is decent for the turbo models and would indicate I'm not using the car under what Mazda considers severe driving conditions.

I'm just curious about this and certainly not complaining about the short interval. I don't mind changing oil at all, for twenty years I owned a trucking company under contract with FedEx and performed my own service on the fleet. Getting dirty performing routine maintenance doesn't bother me, it falls under the category of pride of ownership and the desire to have things done right.

Yeah, I checked and it's on Flexible schedule. Adding my current odometer reading and the remainder of the 600 mile service notice puts the mileage at 4887. That seems low considering my mostly rural driving and just occasional matting of the go pedal. My combined mpg, averaged from day one, is at 26.2 which is decent for the turbo models and would indicate I'm not using the car under what Mazda considers severe driving conditions.

I'm just curious about this and certainly not complaining about the short interval. I don't mind changing oil at all, for twenty years I owned a trucking company under contract with FedEx and performed my own service on the fleet. Getting dirty performing routine maintenance doesn't bother me, it falls under the category of pride of ownership and the desire to have things done right.
I believe the early first oil change notification of your new CX-5 is partially caused by the Flexible OCI which started calculating once the vehicle left the factory. Mazda May add some logic to extend the time calculation only for the first oil change because the car will take a while to reach to owner’s hand. That’s why you time part is 14 months for your first oil change notification, which exceeded the cap of 12 months on time calculation of Flexible OCI. It should go back to normal for your next oil change, which is UP TO 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. It can be shorter depending on your vehicle driving conditions.

Back