First new tires for my 2019 CX-5 Signature

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Looks like DT is having a Flash Sale. $110 off a set of 4 of the Cont. CC LX 25s.

Several tires on sale.

DT Sale
Continental CrossContact LX25 225/55R19 99V, $199 X 4 = $796 - $110 = $686. That’s $171.50 each for LX25, great price! I’d just go to a local Discount Tire / America’s Tire and do the tire change directly for the same price (technically do the “price match” to Discount Tire Direct).

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Or $50 off of the ALTIMAX RT43. ~$662 ea. Been using these tires based on your (yrwei52)
recommendation. But...for the difference, I think I'd try the Cont CC LX25s.

Honestly, the OE Toyo A36 225/55R19 99V should have longer tread life than 22,700 miles. Based on its “300 A A” UTQG, it should get at least 30K miles under normal driving conditions. Most people with this tire can easily get 40K miles without too much issue.

Get a (cheap) tire tread depth gauge to measure the tread depth by yourself, and you’ll know for sure when you reallly need a new set of tires.
I got a cheap tire tread depth gauge, as advised, and they measured 2/32. I have no idea what would have worn them down so quickly, but they definitely need to be replaced.

:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
The LX25 s I put on last summer have the thickest treads I've ever gotten on new tires.

I almost wonder if they affect the speedometer reading.

I got a cheap tire tread depth gauge, as advised, and they measured 2/32. I have no idea what would have worn them down so quickly, but they definitely need to be replaced.
Does anyone know if these OEM Toyos come with any kind of warranty?

:

I think I know where this is going. I ran into low mileage off of my OEM Toyos. I reached out to Toyo and they set up credit with DT. I then used that credit to get the Altimax RT43s and at the time there was a promo going on with the Altimax as well.

:
2019 CX-5 GTR

Of course they come with a Toyo warranty. If you are the original purchaser as the warranty normally does not follow the tire.

You can find all the manuals / warranty information for your Mazda here:

Here is an example of the 2021 CX-5

page 37

1620762033195.png

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
I became a Discount Tire customer after two visits for slow leaks. They fixed them for free, and I had never gotten anything from them at that time. That is one surefire way to attract a new customer.
We‘ve had flat on OE Toyo tires several times so far, each time my Discount Tire Store fixed it for free. They used standard procedure (expensive) dismounting the tire and did the patch from inside, not just plugging the hole from outside. The only thing I did was I reminded the tech to mark the relative position between tire and wheel, and to align the tire the same position to the wheel when mounting so that the tire balance wouldn’t be off.

:
Been using DT for a very long time. Close to home and always match or beat prices. Just wish they wouldn't scratch up the rims or chip them at the lug holes. Mentioned to them again recently but said that it happens.

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
We‘ve had flat on OE Toyo tires several times so far, each time my Discount Tire Store fixed it for free. They used standard procedure (expensive) dismounting the tire and did the patch from inside, not just plugging the hole from outside. The only thing I did was I reminded the tech to mark the relative position between tire and wheel, and to align the tire the same position to the wheel when mounting so that the tire balance wouldn’t be off.
My understanding is that all tires come from the factory with a mark on them which dictates how the tire should be oriented on the rim relative to the valve stem. Any good tire installer will pay attention to this to ensure the tire ends up with the least amount of wheel weights added during balancing.

Last edited:
:
CX5 GT
20210113_201443.jpg

Are you referring to the red dot?
Always wondered whats that about.

my previous (default oem Toyo) also had a yellow (bottom of the picture and barely visible) and red dots. The new michelin seems to have only 1 red.

20210515_214641.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone! That's all very helpful. I appreciate the wear bar link, too.

I brought the car by my friend the mechanic this morning, and he said that the tires are worn, but no need to replace them til the fall. They're OEM Toyos, and apparently very soft. He recommended Michelins if budget is not a factor (BJ's also has a good sale on Michelins this month), and said that in his experience Continentals are very loud. I'd be curious if that's been peoples experience with the LX25s?

Given the noise factor, I'm leaning toward the Michelin CrossClimate2, though some reviews I've read said they hurt fuel economy noticeably. Has that been anyone's experience here?

For what it's worth, my mechanic friend also recommended Bridgestones. Anyone have experience with those?
I just replaced the Toyos on my 2018 CX-5 with the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires, and I am happy with the purchase. Very quiet, slightly crisper handling over the Toyos, and hopefully, they will last more than 30,000 miles. The Toyos were just about done at that mileage.

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
View attachment 298536

Are you referring to the red dot?
Always wondered whats that about.

my previous (default oem Toyo) also had a yellow (bottom of the picture and barely visible) and red dots. The new michelin seems to have only 1 red.

View attachment 298538
The red and yellow dots on the sidewalls of your new tires aid the installer in balancing the tire properly. The red dot lines up with the valve stem and marks the heaviest spot on the tire. The yellow dot indicates the lightest spot.

The red dot indicates the tire's high point. Most of the time, a wheel will also have a dot—either a drilled dot or a sticker to indicate its low point. If you have these marks, you should align the red dot with the mark on the wheel. By doing this, you minimize the vibration caused by the high point of the tire.

Last edited: