First new tires for my 2019 CX-5 Signature

I got a cheap tire tread depth gauge, as advised, and they measured 2/32. I have no idea what would have worn them down so quickly, but they definitely need to be replaced.
Does anyone know if these OEM Toyos come with any kind of warranty?

I think I know where this is going. I ran into low mileage off of my OEM Toyos. I reached out to Toyo and they set up credit with DT. I then used that credit to get the Altimax RT43s and at the time there was a promo going on with the Altimax as well.

Of course they come with a Toyo warranty. If you are the original purchaser as the warranty normally does not follow the tire.

You can find all the manuals / warranty information for your Mazda here:

Here is an example of the 2021 CX-5

page 37

1620762033195.png

I became a Discount Tire customer after two visits for slow leaks. They fixed them for free, and I had never gotten anything from them at that time. That is one surefire way to attract a new customer.
We‘ve had flat on OE Toyo tires several times so far, each time my Discount Tire Store fixed it for free. They used standard procedure (expensive) dismounting the tire and did the patch from inside, not just plugging the hole from outside. The only thing I did was I reminded the tech to mark the relative position between tire and wheel, and to align the tire the same position to the wheel when mounting so that the tire balance wouldn’t be off.

Been using DT for a very long time. Close to home and always match or beat prices. Just wish they wouldn't scratch up the rims or chip them at the lug holes. Mentioned to them again recently but said that it happens.

We‘ve had flat on OE Toyo tires several times so far, each time my Discount Tire Store fixed it for free. They used standard procedure (expensive) dismounting the tire and did the patch from inside, not just plugging the hole from outside. The only thing I did was I reminded the tech to mark the relative position between tire and wheel, and to align the tire the same position to the wheel when mounting so that the tire balance wouldn’t be off.
My understanding is that all tires come from the factory with a mark on them which dictates how the tire should be oriented on the rim relative to the valve stem. Any good tire installer will pay attention to this to ensure the tire ends up with the least amount of wheel weights added during balancing.

Last edited:
20210113_201443.jpg

Are you referring to the red dot?
Always wondered whats that about.

my previous (default oem Toyo) also had a yellow (bottom of the picture and barely visible) and red dots. The new michelin seems to have only 1 red.

20210515_214641.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone! That's all very helpful. I appreciate the wear bar link, too.

I brought the car by my friend the mechanic this morning, and he said that the tires are worn, but no need to replace them til the fall. They're OEM Toyos, and apparently very soft. He recommended Michelins if budget is not a factor (BJ's also has a good sale on Michelins this month), and said that in his experience Continentals are very loud. I'd be curious if that's been peoples experience with the LX25s?

Given the noise factor, I'm leaning toward the Michelin CrossClimate2, though some reviews I've read said they hurt fuel economy noticeably. Has that been anyone's experience here?

For what it's worth, my mechanic friend also recommended Bridgestones. Anyone have experience with those?
I just replaced the Toyos on my 2018 CX-5 with the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires, and I am happy with the purchase. Very quiet, slightly crisper handling over the Toyos, and hopefully, they will last more than 30,000 miles. The Toyos were just about done at that mileage.

View attachment 298536

Are you referring to the red dot?
Always wondered whats that about.

my previous (default oem Toyo) also had a yellow (bottom of the picture and barely visible) and red dots. The new michelin seems to have only 1 red.

View attachment 298538
The red and yellow dots on the sidewalls of your new tires aid the installer in balancing the tire properly. The red dot lines up with the valve stem and marks the heaviest spot on the tire. The yellow dot indicates the lightest spot.

The red dot indicates the tire's high point. Most of the time, a wheel will also have a dot—either a drilled dot or a sticker to indicate its low point. If you have these marks, you should align the red dot with the mark on the wheel. By doing this, you minimize the vibration caused by the high point of the tire.

Last edited:
My understanding is that all tires come from the factory with a mark on them which dictates how the tire should be oriented on the rim relative to the valve stem. Any good tire installer will pay attention to this to ensure the tire ends up with the least amount of wheel weights added during balancing.
Not quite accurate, and the post immediately above mine is incorrect. The red dot indicates the tire’s high point. Most wheels will have a mark or sticker indicating their low point. To minimize vibration, the two marks should align.

The yellow mark indicates the lightest point on the tire. This should be aligned with the valve stem, which is usually the heaviest point on the wheel.

An update: I found the tire warranty booklet tucked into my manual, called Toyo (800-442-8696), and explained the situation. They told me I had to have my dealer call them and report the mileage and tire wear to them. My dealer did. Toyo then called my dealer and said that, while the tires were made special for Mazda and hence don't have any warranty on wear (just manufacturer defects), they should have lasted at least 40,000 miles, so as a one-time courtesy (they used some other term that made it sound like they were performing an act of altruism), they would credit me 25% toward a new set of Toyo tires (installation, balancing, etc. not included). To take them up on the offer, I would have to have the dealer (who told me they never have anything to do with Toyos unless the customer makes a point of requesting them) order them and install; otherwise, if I wanted to use an authorized Toyo dealer, I would have to have them record the mileage, wear, etc., and start the process all over.

Why are companies like this even in business? And why on earth does Mazda use their tires?

I went to BJ's and bought a set Michelin CrossClimate2's. Rated better than the Continentals, and on sale til tomorrow (5/26) -- $150 off.

An update: I found the tire warranty booklet tucked into my manual, called Toyo (800-442-8696), and explained the situation. They told me I had to have my dealer call them and report the mileage and tire wear to them. My dealer did. Toyo then called my dealer and said that, while the tires were made special for Mazda and hence don't have any warranty on wear (just manufacturer defects), they should have lasted at least 40,000 miles, so as a one-time courtesy (they used some other term that made it sound like they were performing an act of altruism), they would credit me 25% toward a new set of Toyo tires (installation, balancing, etc. not included). To take them up on the offer, I would have to have the dealer (who told me they never have anything to do with Toyos unless the customer makes a point of requesting them) order them and install; otherwise, if I wanted to use an authorized Toyo dealer, I would have to have them record the mileage, wear, etc., and start the process all over.

Why are companies like this even in business? And why on earth does Mazda use their tires?

That is how all manufactures operate with OEM tires.

I went to BJ's and bought a set Michelin CrossClimate2's. Rated better than the Continentals, and on sale til tomorrow (5/26) -- $150 off.
Didn't have to go through this when I had it done. Talked to Toyo and they connected with DT.

My understanding is that Mazda contracted Toyo to create a tire for the CX-5 to provide certain driving characteristics that were desirable to owners. Unfortunately the one downfall of the A36 (like it's predecessor) is premature tire wear, which would seem is caused by the shallower tread depth when new, compared to most other tires. In addition, I would think that Toyo must have used a slightly softer tire compound to accommodate the most desirable handling/grip and shallower tread depth would be needed to prevent the tire from feeling too squishy.

Back