Firmware 70.00.367A

That's one reason I avoid new updates unless it fixes an issue I have. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Hopefully, they will fix it under warranty.
Agreed.
I went to the .335 version last fall, and was tempted to upgrade to .367 after seeing it here on the forum.
I think I'll pass on it for now though. The .335 works flawlessly for me.

Thank you. I'll be downgrading both my CX-5 and MX-5 from .367 to .352. I found another bug with .367 recently - music plays fine, but Siri's voice is often interrupted with a LOUD blast of white noise or a "digital screech" when she's speaking. This is happening on both of my Mazdas and didn't start until I upgraded to .367.

I ended up not downgrading - probably because I was too lazy to spend the time to do so. After some initial "glitches", I haven't had any more problems with .367.

I see that there's an updated infotainment. I made an 'easier to follow' 1-page step-by-step checklist. It's not meant for first-timers; that's what the 8-page version is for.
[...]
Hope this helps others.

Perhaps a silly question: but regarding the “prepared USB“ — I assume that’s just a (verified functional) USB stick with the (hash verified) .up file?

Does it need to be formatted any specific way?

** NEVERMIND **

Just finished the update this morning. Only needed the .up file on a thumb drive. Used a 16 or maybe 32gb drive formatted as FAT32.

Piece of cake. Thanks for the downloads and instructions!!

Last edited:
Just to update my personal experience with this firmware, no XM glitches since update a couple months ago.

I also just went to an Iphone 7 and much prefer the Apple Carplay vs Android Auto I used previously.

Everything working well on this firmware with Apple Carplay, think I have ditched the Mazda NAV for good.

You have to make sure the files you downloaded are not corrupted on your pc and usb - first and always. check the checksums always.

This is important - I know in the Mazda3 Forum where the original set of instructions came from, there was a checksum posted for each update, but this latest one did NOT have a checksum posted, so I wasn't able to crosscheck the checksum to ensure it was okay.

The purpose of having a checksum is to make sure there is no data corruption or loss between the original file, and the file you've downloaded. It's rare that it happens, but it DOES happen.

Totally agree with your message.

This is important - I know in the Mazda3 Forum where the original set of instructions came from, there was a checksum posted for each update, but this latest one did NOT have a checksum posted, so I wasn't able to crosscheck the checksum to ensure it was okay.

They are here:

Version MD5 (128 Bit) Hash SHA-1 (160 Bit) Hash

cmu150_NA_70.00.367A_update 648DC7443BA99AF8ABD483F20673C295 19398226A7CDAD3A632A78FB183B7420482D0B90

The car was at the dealer for a "free" oil change and since it is still under warranty, I figured I'd have them do the effort ( .367 ) . Wow what a difference! Boot time is MUCH quicker and no XM problems in the 3 days since applied.

My dealer won't do a software upgrade just because I want it done. The only way they'll do it (for free) is if there's a problem. I asked them to do it last year, and had to lie to them and tell them that it went blank intermittently, and that the rear camera didn't always kick in. They probably knew I was making it up, but at least that way they had an excuse to do it under warranty, and that they'd get reimbursed by Mazda.

My dealer won't do a software upgrade just because I want it done. The only way they'll do it (for free) is if there's a problem. I asked them to do it last year, and had to lie to them and tell them that it went blank intermittently, and that the rear camera didn't always kick in. They probably knew I was making it up, but at least that way they had an excuse to do it under warranty, and that they'd get reimbursed by Mazda.

And there are two good reasons for that beyond profit: SAFETY and LIABILITY.

Infotainment systems are highly integrated with the vehicle. They communicate with everything from the engine to the headlights to the power door locks to the brakes. Mazda needs to know which software version a vehicle is running in case there is a problem with the software that affects a required safety feature. We live in a very litigious society - the more you can reduce your exposure to liability, the better.

Example 1: Let's say a vehicle came with .335C and Mazda discovers a problem that causes the backup camera to fail to display occasionally. A backup camera is required by federal motor vehicle safety standards. Mazda will be required to recall all the affected vehicles and update the software. If the software has already been upgraded to .352B and Mazda isn't aware of it, the owner will still receive a recall notice and the vehicle will show an open recall until it is taken to a Mazda dealer who updates (or verifies) that the system is running the updated software.

Example 2: Let's say a vehicle's software has been updated to .352B without Mazda's knowledge and Mazda discovers a problem with that version that keeps the backup camera from working properly. Since Mazda's records indicate the vehicle still has the original .335C software, there's no recall issues. Now, let's say the backup camera fails to display properly and you back over someone killing them. Had the software not been updated, the family of the deceased may have won a lawsuit against Mazda for installing faulty software the prevented a required safety feature from operating properly. But, if you (or a dealer) updates the software without Mazda's authorization and knowledge, you (or they) become liable.

And there are two good reasons for that beyond profit: SAFETY and LIABILITY.

Infotainment systems are highly integrated with the vehicle. They communicate with everything from the engine to the headlights to the power door locks to the brakes. Mazda needs to know which software version a vehicle is running in case there is a problem with the software that affects a required safety feature. We live in a very litigious society - the more you can reduce your exposure to liability, the better.

Example 1: Let's say a vehicle came with .335C and Mazda discovers a problem that causes the backup camera to fail to display occasionally. A backup camera is required by federal motor vehicle safety standards. Mazda will be required to recall all the affected vehicles and update the software. If the software has already been upgraded to .352B and Mazda isn't aware of it, the owner will still receive a recall notice and the vehicle will show an open recall until it is taken to a Mazda dealer who updates (or verifies) that the system is running the updated software.

Example 2: Let's say a vehicle's software has been updated to .352B without Mazda's knowledge and Mazda discovers a problem with that version that keeps the backup camera from working properly. Since Mazda's records indicate the vehicle still has the original .335C software, there's no recall issues. Now, let's say the backup camera fails to display properly and you back over someone killing them. Had the software not been updated, the family of the deceased may have won a lawsuit against Mazda for installing faulty software the prevented a required safety feature from operating properly. But, if you (or a dealer) updates the software without Mazda's authorization and knowledge, you (or they) become liable.
That makes no sense. In Buzzman12's situation the Mazda would be doing update with software produced by Mazda. Also, there is no mechanism in place to track what version of infotainment software a vehicle has.

The most likely scenario (from working in car dealerships for the last 7 years) is that they didn't want to do the update because the service techs don't work for free. If they can't articulate to Mazda corporate why the software needed updating, Mazda won't reimburse them for the billable hours.

Also, there is no mechanism in place to track what version of infotainment software a vehicle has.

Mazda knows exactly what software version a vehicle came with from the factory and they know when it has been updated as part of a repair or recall. They don't know what software version a vehicle is running if it gets updated by the owner or by a dealer who updates it "just because" - that's where the problem comes in.

Mazda knows exactly what software version a vehicle came with from the factory and they know when it has been updated as part of a repair or recall. They don't know what software version a vehicle is running if it gets updated by the owner or by a dealer who updates it "just because" - that's where the problem comes in.
I promise you that when you enter a VIN into the Mazda system, it does not show infotainment version. Plus, whenever a vehicle is received into inventory, the dealer is supposed to update Mazda Connect to the most recent version. The same goes for used vehicles that get CPO'd

If there were a recall for a software update, they might send a notice to owners that bought a vehicle during the time that a certain software version was current. The first step on the instructions for the service dept would say something like, "go into Mazda Connect settings screen and confirm if software version .XXX or lower. Once confirmed, proceed with software update."

Hopefully with the latest Mazda Connect that's now in the Mazda 3/CX-30, they will eventually go to over-the-air updates. GM has been doing this for a few years now and it's absolutely the best way to make sure everyone gets the most up to date software quickly

...whenever a vehicle is received into inventory, the dealer is supposed to update Mazda Connect to the most recent version. The same goes for used vehicles that get CPO'd

Hopefully with the latest Mazda Connect that's now in the Mazda 3/CX-30, they will eventually go to over-the-air updates. GM has been doing this for a few years now and it's absolutely the best way to make sure everyone gets the most up to date software quickly

Confirmed in the attached TSB. That's different than the way Honda handles software updates. Honda forbids dealers from updating software unless specifically directed as part of a repair.

Honda started OTA updates a few years ago as well. The updates only apply to the audio-navigation system, however, and not other modules such as the PCM/ECM.

Mazda announced this morning that the 2021 CX-9 will get their newest infotainment system - perhaps the CX-5 will get it for 2021 as well.

Attachments

• 09-022-19.pdf
    402.3 KB · Views: 657
I see that there's an updated infotainment firmware. I made an 'easier to follow' 1-page step-by-step checklist. It's not meant for first-timers; that's what the 8-page version is for.

The update went without a problem. It took about 35 minutes to complete. The only thing I noticed was that it now starts much faster. I'm not sure if there are any other fixes. Hope this helps others.
Update with firmware version 70.00.367 is working quicker! Sirius music starts quicker at the 16 second mark after pressing start button. Sirius full screen with graphics and artist info is at the 30 second mark. My car is also importing contacts at the same time as starting Sirius so I'm not sure if that is slowing things down.

Updated my 1st car today, I am from 100 to 367, noticed it boots up faster. Anyone have the issue that the cable connected iphone is sometimes not recognized by the car but can charge?

That's one reason I avoid new updates unless it fixes an issue I have. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Hopefully, they will fix it under warranty.

Yup!
Weird there's no list of issues fixed in the new firmware. I don't use Sirius, so I'm not getting anything from the upgrade I guess?

I see that there's an updated infotainment firmware. I made an 'easier to follow' 1-page step-by-step checklist. It's not meant for first-timers; that's what the 8-page version is for.

The update went without a problem. It took about 35 minutes to complete. The only thing I noticed was that it now starts much faster. I'm not sure if there are any other fixes. Hope this helps others.
is this for all current models /years (meaning 2017-2020) or just for the 2020's

Also ...where do you get the firmware update (link?)?

Back