Finally, Mazda steps up to the plate with a real car...

New to the board but Ill get started sayin this car is nice. Ive got a civic now, and as an old 323 owner (89 LX), Im ready to come back. I love my honda, but Ive been watching mazda and waiting for another turbo. I crapped myself when I saw this forum and I must say, 170 is a good thing.

For example, take the WRX. 227 hp from a 2 liter engine. Anybody ever look at the insurance on this beast? Thanks for the thought, but no thanks for the cost. Even if this "170" is flywheel, turbos rock :) (dont think 170 is right though, 152 ft/lbs out of a turbo engine just doesn't sound right, my guess is this is whp, just a guess).

This thing comes straight out of the box with a kick ass setup that need not be touched, only tinkered. If I get mine come this winter, anyone want my stereo?

Chris

Why would you want to replace the Factory MP919. Anything shy of a In-Dash DVD player will be a step down. About the insurance, if you are less that 21, don't expect to save on th insurance for a WRX or even a Civic for that matter. 170hp or whp is good, but it still won't clock you a mid to high 14 second run and if you're looking to complete with the factory compact cars nowadays, you'll want a factory car capable of low 15's or high 14's. Just my thoughts

Agreed.
Stereo isn't much of my thing anymore. I figure the money I can get from it would be a good portion of a real intercooler.

I, as of today, am 23, but still will be paying much money in the way of insurance. I need the less expensive original route, with the most potential.

Admittedly, I am older than you 27 (past that magical 25 mark for insurance) and I am married but I looked into the insurance on a WRX sedan and my premium would only be $10 more per month than what I pay right now (swapping from 96 neon to a WRX BTW). Maybe you should shop around for other carriers...

The crazy thing about Prog was explained to me by a rep one day. He told me that your credit rating at progressive is just as important as your driving record!!! I have their highest rating and no accidents so I have the cheapest rate they can offer.

I'm with Progressive and I'm sorry I kinda mistated.
We were looking at buying a 626 lxv6 or 4cyl camry or wrx.
And the $10 diff. was btwn the 626 and the wrx.
We went with the 626, but not b/c of ins. We got an amazing deal on the 626. It has crusise, power lock/win, keyless entry, 5spd, V6, alloy whls. and we paid 17400(after rebate, recent grad discount, and s-plan price). Now, thas' a deal. And it freakin hauls ass.

Here in Manitoba, auto insurance is a government run thing...which means it doesn't matter which insurance place I go to, I'll always get the same price.

I've always been a bit dumb about this next question so be nice....is it actually legal in the US to drive around with no insurance? Like you can have no insurance, but would be totally screwed if you were in an accident?

It is totally illegal. You can get in serious trouble for being in a wreck with no insurance. But, there are so many of them that most people carry uninsured motorists coverage on their insurance also.

BigBlue said:
Here in Manitoba, auto insurance is a government run thing...which means it doesn't matter which insurance place I go to, I'll always get the same price.

I've always been a bit dumb about this next question so be nice....is it actually legal in the US to drive around with no insurance? Like you can have no insurance, but would be totally screwed if you were in an accident?

Couple years ago, I was caught in another city with my old car that had no updated insurance card in my car at the time, no updated vehicle registration, and no updated vehicle inspection sticker. Cost me a write up ticket worth US$350. Got away with showing proof of insurance at the clerks office and took defensive driving for one of the other two tickets.... hey, I was young, bold and a little insane back then. :D

Not a good idea to be driving in the States without insurance or any other required registration stickers. :eek:

In short, you can get cheap insurance, called liability. Basically insuring anything you may hit, but not yourself or car. Thats my unserstanding of it at least.

Ill be looking around for insurance really soon as I now graduate and hopefully move into the police world. Wonder how they look at officers ?.....;)

As far as I know, you receive no benefit for your job status on car insurance...I think in order to get a break on car insurance you have to work for that insurance company.

If you guys are looking for a perfect example of a stupid driver with no insurance, look no further. Back in August of 2000, while I was still living in Michigan. I totaled my EG Civic Coupe and I wasn't insured. Luckly the accident wasn't my fault, the other driver failed to yield to oncoming traffic, which was me. Since he was at fault, the cop who showed up on the scene decided to spare my life and let me go home. But, after all the mess, I still owe just under $7000 for a car I no longer own and after searching for a way out paying.....In short, there isn't one, I will end up having to pay if all off and since I haven't payed them yet. My credit is completely shot. I phucked up, I know, but thank god I'm still alive, you should have seen what happened to the car.:(

Insurance Loophole

This might be a waste of time but since I have the info i figured I'd share it with you guys. There's a loophole to not having auto insurance that not many are aware of. You only need two things...(1) A bank (2) 25 grand....you put the 25 grand in a specialized type of bank account and then you insure yourself....of course...who has 25 grand laying around? You got it right, rich assholes...that's another way of saving money if you already have money to spend. But anyway, just thought I'd throw that out.

Pablo

Re: Insurance Loophole

Bonzhel said:
This might be a waste of time but since I have the info i figured I'd share it with you guys. There's a loophole to not having auto insurance that not many are aware of. You only need two things...(1) A bank (2) 25 grand....you put the 25 grand in a specialized type of bank account and then you insure yourself....of course...who has 25 grand laying around? You got it right, rich assholes...that's another way of saving money if you already have money to spend. But anyway, just thought I'd throw that out.

Pablo

That doesn't work in Colorado...

kcagle said:
You are the exact reason why rates are so high! You should be ashamed. Insurance isn't an option.

Now go easy on him...he admitted to his mistake and feels bad about it....and is also definitely paying for it too. And truth be told
insurance rates wherever are high because of poor drivers who get into accidents and are at fault...if everyone were safer, more responsible drivers, there'd be less accidents and lower rates.

Back