Final Protege Ignition System Thread

ddogg777 said:
Just to add my 2 bits to the thread, I will be running the AEM C2DI with MSD blaster coils her in a week or so. Hopefully all will work out...
What coils are you going to be using?

I think that is definatly something the look into if for nothing else withh all that boost your going to be running you don't want your spark plugs to fail. this will give you a nice strong sprak under any condition.

If you have any question please read through the entire thread there is a lot of info in here but if you have specific questions please just ask.

aftershock63 said:
I think that is definatly something the look into if for nothing else withh all that boost your going to be running you don't want your spark plugs to fail. this will give you a nice strong sprak under any condition.

If you have any question please read through the entire thread there is a lot of info in here but if you have specific questions please just ask.
This only works on stand alone management. What about an upgrade to factory ignition? Mazda is using a positive trigger.

Focus said:
This only works on stand alone management. What about an upgrade to factory ignition? Mazda is using a positive trigger.
well now that I know that I'll have to look through my notes because a factory upgrade is what I originally wanted.

I saw way up in the thread somebody mention stock Mazda coils that are an upgrade... I'm curious about those.. anyone got any info.

I do have an ending to this thread if anyone is still interested

All it comes down to is being able to replace the stock coils I've gotten everything to work except being able to replicate what ever signal the stock coils give to the ecu

if there is interest I will go into more detail

aftershock63 said:
I do have an ending to this thread if anyone is still interested

All it comes down to is being able to replace the stock coils I've gotten everything to work except being able to replicate what ever signal the stock coils give to the ecu

if there is interest I will go into more detail

I was just talking about all of this to someone the other day. If you have the time I would love to hear the full ending.

We have a full individual coil on plug DSI Bosch system that we can use with Microtech systems... so more than enough to take care of any ignition issue to be sure... Best part is the full set of coils and igniter box is roughly 300 bucks or less :).

TurfBurn said:
I saw way up in the thread somebody mention stock Mazda coils that are an upgrade... I'm curious about those.. anyone got any info.

i have these on my car. they're updated coils for the 1.8L motor. they're the same coils tripoint ran on their proteges. all you have to do is re-route the wires to the front driver's side of the motor (where the coils mount)...it's pretty much plug-and-play. i got a 2000 626 valvecover because you have to trim the wires to get them to seat properly due to the mounts for the stock coils...i'll see if i can round up a pic. the coils are only $35ish from a dealer and the wires were around $50.

you can see in the pic where i trimmed the 2nd and 4th wires (from the left) to help them seat on the stock valvecover

these help smooth out your power band and give you a better spark

CHRIS%20MOTOR.JPG

Last edited:
Topher said:
i have these on my car. they're updated coils for the 1.8L motor. they're the same coils tripoint ran on their proteges. all you have to do is re-route the wires to the front driver's side of the motor (where the coils mount)...it's pretty much plug-and-play. i got a 2000 626 valvecover because you have to trim the wires to get them to seat properly due to the mounts for the stock coils...i'll see if i can round up a pic. the coils are only $35ish from a dealer and the wires were around $50.

you can see in the pic where i trimmed the 2nd and 4th wires (from the left) to help them seat on the stock valvecover

these help smooth out your power band and give you a better spark

CHRIS%20MOTOR.JPG

Interesting....Did you dyno before and after??

no...the nearest dyno to me is over 2 hours away. the guy that recommended these to me knows more about our cars than 90% of the people on him...i trust his 100%...if he says it works, it'll work.

Back