Final Protege Ignition System Thread

OK I think I foudn something that we might need. It is the MSD-8914. It is a Cam sync Generator. This is what I was speculating about, THat is that the ECU doesn't know exactly when it is firing so it just keeps firing. I'm inclubing the PDF for this product in this post so that you can read it and understand better how it works.

It was originally made for saturns with a CD ignition. It also say that it can be used for other car equipped with ECU's using the DIS-2. This just maybe one of those lucky breaks. I mean I was just muddling around on the MSD site and litterally stumbled accrosed it. Summit won't have it in till May, so I'm going to look around on differnt sights to see if I can find one.

I would still like to get my hands on an ociliscope if anyone has one. This will let me know for sure thatI am right.

Attachments

• pn8914.pdf
    194.7 KB · Views: 210
well good but the part I need isn't in stock yet and right now I',ve ran into an electrical problem while installing my turbo there will be more up dates as soon as I can get them too you.

Ok I recieved the last part in today so hopefully I will have some good news for you tomorrow

what you think abotu them apples?

aftershock63 said:
Ok I recieved the last part in today so hopefully I will have some good news for you tomorrow

what you think abotu them apples?
Applesauce b****! J/K

Hopefully it all goes together for you.

If this works, will you update your first post on this thread with what all you ended up doing to get it to work?

Well i did a little bit more testing and I blew a fuse. not sure which one it was labeled for because I don't have an interior at the moment but I should be testing more soon.

so far I am still getting a double fire on the 1st bank of plugs

I will be trying a couple of different wiring arange ments soon as I get time. First thing I want to do is get the exaust leak on the waste gate fixed

will keep posted

OK well I know it has been a whole since I've updated this thread but I have been having issuses wiht my turbo system been traving a lot and in school. I've also been doing some research of how to get this system to work. I never got my hands on ocilascope so I'm still not sure exactly what the ignition system is doing but I did come up wiht some good information nonetheless.

If you you own an e-manage and want to use the ignition harness to control timing you must use at least after market coils if not a full DIS-2 system. If you use the stock coils with the ignition harness you will fry your coils shortly there after. I forget exactly where on the board i read that but it makes sence. Since our ecu's are finicky enough as it is I'm sure that the coils are designed only to take a certian voltage or current for the inputs and the trigger, my assumtion is that the output form the e-manage is greater than these tolerences thus making the coils fail. one of the reasons I suggest getting a full DIS-2 system is to take the stress off of the e-manage. I have not explored all of the timing functions of the e-manage so I can not say that one has more functions than the other, but I can say that some of the functions the MSD provides are not available form the e-manage. They are mostly racing functions like rpm limiter for launch and things like that.

When i say a full ignition system will take the stress off of the e-manage what i mean is that the current draw form the e-manage unit itself will be minimal. This is because you are simply inputing those signals to another digital system that does not need a high current input. The MSD is specifically designed to for these high output situation.

I have 2 MSD ignition systems in my possesion. Both of them work. I have the normal DIS-2 and I also have the computer programable MSD DIS-2. If someone has an e-manage and wants to purchase one off of me I would be willing to sell one of them for a good price.

I'm hoping my christmas bonus will be enough to let me purchase my own e-manage and all the harnesses i will need to have as close to complete control as I can get with out going with an ecu replacement.

If anyone has a copy of the installation manual or a copy of the computer tool for the e-manage I would like to look through them to figure out exactly what ignition features that are offered by the system. My goal is to figure out what features are better used on what system. Both systems offer map sensors so that functions can be controlled progressivly depending on boost and the MSD can use the crank posision and cam position sensors if you want to run it independently. I am still thinking about doing this to get the system to work independently of any other system or ecu.

Who told you that about the emanage? No Protege has burnt out their coils due to an emanage yet. Sounds much like Beau talking about crankwalk issues when its yet to occur, but obviously an issue from looking at the design. If you can provide electrical data that supports your statement I'd be much more willing to believe it.

Plus, I'm looking to use the Emanage and this type of information is of much importance to me.

mx3ownzj00 said:
Sounds much like Beau talking about crankwalk issues when its yet to occur, but obviously an issue from looking at the design.
Actually if I recall correctly, Beau had his block magnafluxed and there were cracks about the thrust bearing main cap...signs of crankwalk.

ddogg777 said:
Actually if I recall correctly, Beau had his block magnafluxed and there were cracks about the thrust bearing main cap...signs of crankwalk.
I was just trying to draw a comparision between the problems, that's good to know :)

Just to add my 2 bits to the thread, I will be running the AEM C2DI with MSD blaster coils her in a week or so. Hopefully all will work out...

ddogg777 said:
Just to add my 2 bits to the thread, I will be running the AEM C2DI with MSD blaster coils her in a week or so. Hopefully all will work out...
Hurry up!

Back