Feel like a noob asking this... 2019 with Turbo - Engine Air Filter & Cabin

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Hello All,

Have a 2019 Signature with the turbo, and its going in for its 24,000km service (1 year of ownership). They're doing a brake service supposedly and checking the filters.

It's going in for service this coming Friday and I'm certain they're gonna flag the air filters either way, so I'm going to try to check them before I go in.

If they need to be changed, what is everyone using here? Genuine Mazda or K&N or what?

Is there anything I need to know ahead of time for the engine air filter on the turbo?

Thanks!

I can't tell where you are, but in the U.S. the change interval for the engine air filter is 48k km and I think the cabin filter is 38k km. You're not close. But check your owner's manual and ONLY do what it says. Ignore the dealer. They just want more money.

Hello All,

Have a 2019 Signature with the turbo, and its going in for its 24,000km service (1 year of ownership). They're doing a brake service supposedly and checking the filters......

Are you having an issue with the brakes that you want them to check? I can't imagine what routine "brake service" would be required at 24k km (15k miles).

As others have said, follow your time/mileage interval in your manual for your area. (Unless you or your mechanic spots a problem).

I personally use oem or WIX brand filters.

2017 owner here. For the engine filter, I've been using the AEM 28-20480 Dryflow Air Filter. For the cabin filter, EPAuto CPJ6X (KD45-61-J6X). Both on Amazon.

Hello All,

Have a 2019 Signature with the turbo, and its going in for its 24,000km service (1 year of ownership). They're doing a brake service supposedly and checking the filters.

It's going in for service this coming Friday and I'm certain they're gonna flag the air filters either way, so I'm going to try to check them before I go in.

If they need to be changed, what is everyone using here? Genuine Mazda or K&N or what?

Is there anything I need to know ahead of time for the engine air filter on the turbo?

Thanks!

I too am curious as to what brake service your dealership is doing on your nearly new CX?

2017 owner here. For the engine filter, I've been using the AEM 28-20480 Dryflow Air Filter. For the cabin filter, EPAuto CPJ6X (KD45-61-J6X). Both on Amazon.

OP @mac.mc78 has the turbo engine. It is my understanding the AEM 28-20480 does NOT fit the turbo air intake box. Cabin filters will be the same no matter the engine.

Here is what I had previously researched for air filters. Any clarification definitely welcomed.
AEM 28-20480 Dryflow Air Filter (non turbo)
K&N 33-2480 (non turbo)
K&N 33-3024 (turbo)

similar discussion around air filters and the overall condition:

I am using the K&N engine and cabin filters. For the upfront investment for me it made sense.. but I plan on keeping the vehicle 7+ years.

the brake service item is definitely of interest.. I'm guessing simple inspection but please report back with actual action taken.

They were recommending a brake service that included inspecting the brakes and lubing up the calipers etc. Seems like a load of s*** to me, honestly.

The manual does indeed show 48,000km / 36 months for the air filter, and the only other services they recommend are just to inspect hoses, inspect brakes, etc.

I'll be calling them tomorrow to tell them I just want oil changed and tires rotated.

Thanks to everyone who replied, and for those who provided the part #'s for the filters!

plus as it has been mentioned,
you can change the filters on your own. 10 min job and cost 20-25$ more or less for each.

the inspections are included for free with the oil change. you can always decline any services they recommend. air filters are absolutely a do it yourself thing
Lubing the brake caliper slide pins is actually not BS. When I worked for Mazda, the 30 year master tech told me that he recommends cleaning and relubing the caliper pins once a year because they come with very little grease from the factory. I did it myself on my Mazda 6 when it was 2 years old and definitely noticed an improvement in the brakes

thanks for the info...just ordered the AEM engine filter for my 2018 CX5! I see its washable and does not need oil like the K&N which is a good thing. Has anyone washed and re-used the AEM filter?

the inspections are included for free with the oil change. you can always decline any services they recommend. air filters are absolutely a do it yourself thing
Lubing the brake caliper slide pins is actually not BS. When I worked for Mazda, the 30 year master tech told me that he recommends cleaning and relubing the caliper pins once a year because they come with very little grease from the factory. I did it myself on my Mazda 6 when it was 2 years old and definitely noticed an improvement in the brakes
Have to agree that cleaning and lubing the pins is not BS.
The issue is usually the price they charge you for doing it.
It's not a difficult job and doesn't take much time, so it's just labour and no parts.
It should be done, but unfortunately, it's a money maker for the dealer at the prices they charge.
The age of the vehicle and type of environment it's driven in also plays a part.
I had mine done last year when the car was two years old, and had been driven in our crappy winters with road salt.
The calipers are already rusting and the pins definitely needed the service.

Have to agree that cleaning and lubing the pins is not BS.
The issue is usually the price they charge you for doing it.
It's not a difficult job and doesn't take much time, so it's just labour and no parts.
It should be done, but unfortunately, it's a money maker for the dealer at the prices they charge.
The age of the vehicle and type of environment it's driven in also plays a part.
I had mine done last year when the car was two years old, and had been driven in our crappy winters with road salt.
The calipers are already rusting and the pins definitely needed the service.

I'm in Ontario too. My car just hit the 1 year mark. Do you think I can get away until the next Oil change? They wanted 300$ for oil change + brake service which I think is just insane.

$300 is a lot. I paid less than that, but can't recall the exact amount.
If I recall, it was slightly over $200 for everything.
You should be OK for the summer months, but not knowing how much you drive makes it more difficult to give advice.
Edit: I just saw your original post: 24k kms in one year. Way more than me.
I don't drive my car that much (19,000 kms in 3 years), and it tends to sit for days at a time, which doesn't help.
I'd suggest you try to have it done before next winter.
I'd also question the price and try to negotiate.
Good luck.

$300 is a lot. I paid less than that, but can't recall the exact amount.
If I recall, it was slightly over $200 for everything.
You should be OK for the summer months, but not knowing how much you drive makes it more difficult to give advice.
Edit: I just saw your original post: 24k kms in one year. Way more than me.
I don't drive my car that much (19,000 kms in 3 years), and it tends to sit for days at a time, which doesn't help.
I'd suggest you try to have it done before next winter.
I'd also question the price and try to negotiate.
Good luck.

Thanks man! Much appreciated!

Back